Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Drummer/Most Talented in the Current Era?

skinsfan07

I'm sure there are some great ones in the past but as of right now, active, I gotta go with Carter Beauford. DMB drummer. Absolutely amazing. I find it remarkable that he learned to lead the hi-hat and crash with his left hand on a right handed kit. That is astonishing. It allows for so much more.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/412353/drum_solos_carter_beauford_under_the_table_and_drumming_pt_1/

I can only dream of one day being as good as he is.

Beauford was first exposed to drumming at the age of three. At the time, his father had bought tickets to a Buddy Rich concert and could not find someone to watch his son, so he took young Beauford along to the show. Beauford was mesmerized by Buddy Rich on stage. After that show, Beauford's father bought his son a tin drum set with paper heads, since Beauford showed much interest in learning the instrument. Beauford began performing professionally when he was nine.

Beauford explains his unusual playing style in his instructional video "Under The Table & Drumming", attributing his use of left-hand-lead on a right-handed kit to playing his own kit in front of a mirror as a child in an attempt to emulate his favorite drummers, like Buddy Rich. He unknowingly set up his drums in reverse of whichever performer and set that he had in mind, in an attempt to make the mirrored image of himself match that of the audience's perspective, as he had seen it on stage and TV. This helped him to become completely ambidextrous at a very early age, albeit by accident.

so who do you think is the best?

I'm sure there are some great ones in the past but as of right now, active, I gotta go with Carter Beauford. DMB drummer. Absolutely amazing. I find it remarkable that he learned to lead the hi-hat and crash with his left hand on a right handed kit. That is astonishing. It allows for so much more.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/412353/drum_solos_carter_beauford_under_the_table_and_drumming_pt_1/

I can only dream of one day being as good as he is.

so who do you think is the best?

thank you for giving props to carter, he is the man. im going to the show tomorrow night and i cant wait

Raymond Hererra, Fear Factory is up there. Old girl from Kid rocks band is bad ass. I also have to agree 100% with Portnoy and Lars. There's probably more bad ass drummers around these days than guitar players.

ladies and gents: Mike Portnoy

I love Rush and Peart. Honestly i can't decide who my favorite is between him and Portnoy.

If you asked Portnoy personally, he'd probably tell you Peart is better. Portnoy is a huge fan of Neils as well as Dream Theater being fans of Rush. I remember reading that all the members of DT met and hit it off because they all shared a common a common love for the band.

Really didn't want to say anything about Portnoy, because he is certainly not a bad drummer.

But with the drum kit, as with most intstruments, there are many avenues you can take towards what kind of drummer you want to be. Portnoy is a good prog/metal drummer with a lot of surface-level entertainment value. He's got the flashy style and heavy chops to impress a lot of people, obviously. He's a great instructor in his videos, explaining odd time signatures in a very basic manner. I commend Portnoy.

But when talking about the best...the most talented of our era? It's hard to say Portnoy is there. He has a niche, but he's hardly the best at anything. He lacks innovation; you can see in plain-sight that he's essentially a mix of Dave Lombardo and Neil Peart. And he'll never be as melodic and methodical as Neil, hardly anyone will.

Again, I must stress that this isn't a knock on Portnoy, because he's appealing to so many. But once you really start to delve in to the deeper waters of drumming, you'll realize how asthetically pleasing his style is, rather than musically brilliant.

really didn't want to say anything about portnoy, because he is certainly not a bad drummer.

But with the drum kit, as with most intstruments, there are many avenues you can take towards what kind of drummer you want to be. Portnoy is a good prog/metal drummer with a lot of surface-level entertainment value. He's got the flashy style and heavy chops to impress a lot of people, obviously. He's a great instructor in his videos, explaining odd time signatures in a very basic manner. I commend portnoy.

But when talking about the best...the most talented of our era? It's hard to say portnoy is there. He has a niche, but he's hardly the best at anything. He lacks innovation; you can see in plain-sight that he's essentially a mix of dave lombardo and neil peart. And he'll never be as melodic and methodical as neil, hardly anyone will.

Again, i must stress that this isn't a knock on portnoy, because he's appealing to so many. But once you really start to delve in to the deeper waters of drumming, you'll realize how asthetically pleasing his style is, rather than musically brilliant.

+1

Archived