Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Drummer/Most Talented in the Current Era?

skinsfan07

And would someone please tell me what makes Carter Beauford "by far" the best drummer in the world ? He is good, but certainly not the best - unless it's a "Drummer Popularity Contest"... and not about skill, as the OP mentioned.

His playing skills are very one-sided, so someone explain how he's so far better than anyone else ?

I've seen drummers at a LOCAL drum competition in Tampa, that could blow the socks off of Beauford.

If you don't 'get' it are you really informed enough to put together a well-educated opinion on it?

Like I've already stated, I can appreciate the difficulty of performing such music. A lot of Jazz musicians are head and shoulders above your average musician. I get that. I really do. I'm in awe at the complexity of the genre. It still isn't pleasing to my ear.

Let me use an analogy for you. The $100 Viper is superior to the 75$ Vette in many aspects. I can appreciate the engineering and complexity of the design but I would take the Z06 over the Viper anyday of the week. If someone stood in front of me with two sets of keys and said take your pick I'd take the vette. It's called taste. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the complex engineering that goes into making the Viper.

Also doesn't mean that just because I don't like the Viper doesn't mean I'm not educated enough about cars to have an opinion.

Seriously? Because I don't like jazz? It has been my experience that the majority of the people I've met that like jazz act as if you're a lower form of life if you're not into it. It's snobbish. Just an opinion. Having an opinion different from yours makes a person stupid? Shame on me.

I agree with you Zoed, God forbid anyone not worship what the musical elite tell us we should like.

I can appreciate the talent, but I can also think that it sounds like ****. That's my right to an opinion.

Guess I'm ignorant for having that opinion. :) Doesn't surprise me that I'd be called that though. In my experience music snobs fit the classic mold of people who fail at life and need some sort of outlet to claim superiority over others... to make them feel better, more 'superior', so they can chuckle at others who would rather listen to popular music than 8 jazz musicians standing around in a circle making fart noises at random intervals with their instruments, while some douchebag in blue glasses and a turtleneck watches them and tells everyone that if they don't like it they're ignorant.

I'm sure that doesn't apply to anyone in this thread, of course. Just general commentary. :)

No one here's trying to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't like. My only complaint with Zoed's mentality towards the whole thing was "The only people who like this stuff are music snobs," which is absolutely not true and indeed an ignorant statement no matter how you slice it.

Well, maybe people who don't like being called "snobs" are elitists? I dunno. I like jazz AND rock and pop.

Guess I should discriminate against myself. :silly:

I absolutely love most forms of Jazz, that's good stuff. But Thelonious Monk is about as far out as I get.

I really don't care for fusion jazz... or at least every time it has been played for me I've wanted to shove a rusty screwdriver thru my ear. Though I admit I have not heard all of it... there simply was nothing in what I did hear to make me want to hear more.

I don't mind being called a snob. I know a lot about music and percussion in particular and have worked very hard at it for 12 years, but I've willingly shared that knowledge through education... so if that makes me a snob I'll wear the title proudly.

Snob! :silly:

I don't mind being called a snob. I know a lot about music and percussion in particular and have worked very hard at it for 12 years, but I've willingly shared that knowledge through education... so if that makes me a snob I'll wear the title proudly.

Yep. And jazz has some of the most interesting drumming around, period.

Buddy Rich may have been the best drummer ever, and many people considered him a snob, but in person, he was humble enough to allow me to haul his drums to his van, after a show he did in Georgetown, once.

Wow, that's cool, Mick. I have a friend, a drummer from a well-known jazz family, who says that Buddy Rich did stuff that he hasn't seen anyone else do. I take it you agree?

I absolutely love most forms of Jazz, that's good stuff. But Thelonious Monk is about as far out as I get.

I really don't care for fusion jazz... or at least every time it has been played for me I've wanted to shove a rusty screwdriver thru my ear. Though I admit I have not heard all of it... there simply was nothing in what I did hear to make me want to hear more.

You like Monk but you cannot stand fusion? That's rather curious, since Monk's style is definitely a bit "out there," as you said. Some fusion in comparison is a bit more tame.

Just out of curiosity, what fusion bands have folks listened to, and what parts of the style did they not like?

And, as far as drummers are concerned, there is nothing tastier then some fusion licks; drummers who play that style are some of the most skilled musicians around.

This video is with Peter Erskine, who used to be one of my drumming idols:

Wow, that's cool, Mick. I have a friend, a drummer from a well-known jazz family, who says that Buddy Rich did stuff that he hasn't seen anyone else do. I take it you agree?

Like the fact that he could do a one-handed drum roll, with either hand, and make it sound just like it was 2 hands.....something you have to see, to believe.

Archived