Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Drummer/Most Talented in the Current Era?

skinsfan07

My favorite drummer is Stewart Copeland.

Best drummer alive today though is Carter Beauford, and it's not even up for debate.

Strongest pocket of all time = Jeff Porcaro

It's safe to say that Carter is the universal face of drumming for this era. However, you have to consider that there are some seemingly borderline drumming-savants out there these days that simply don't play in a popular band.

Drummers are so talented these days that deciding who is "the best" is certainly up for debate. Yes, Carter can put together utter masterpieces with his drum compositions, especially live. He is one of the best in the world.

But it's up for debate whether he's the best.

+1

The part you posted is actually fairly easy compared to the rest of the song...

Aye, it's pretty weak compared to what Carey can really do on the kit; I would have liked to post a clip of the intro to "The Grudge," but alas, posting YouTube videos from an iPhone is rather hard and imprecise.

Still, figured those who know...would know. And you did/do!

Cheers!

Aye, it's pretty weak compared to what Carey can really do on the kit; I would have liked to post a clip of the intro to "The Grudge," but alas, posting YouTube videos from an iPhone is rather hard and imprecise.

Still, figured those who know...would know. And you did/do!

Cheers!

Carey is one of the heaviest drummers the world has seen. Factor in that he uses Beech wood shells and you have a simply bombastic sound. The Paiste Alloy drumkit isn't too shabby, either.

Undertow is one of my very favorite albums of all time. Sure, not as dynamic as the following three albums, but Carey and the band are just so groovy. I think it's the only metal album I've come across that I can describe that way. Carey has such a great pocket presence, along with his awesome power.

It's safe to say that Carter is the universal face of drumming for this era. However, you have to consider that there are some seemingly borderline drumming-savants out there these days that simply don't play in a popular band.

But I think "success" is a big part of the qualification, don't you?

Wanted to respond last night but internet was acting up.

Thanks guys. REALLY diggin "You Know You Know" from Inner Mountain Flame. Learned it on guitar and everything, haha. Been listening to it non-stop.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra is what the Mars Volta wishes they were ;)

oh and there's also a live recording record from that original line-up called "Between Nothing and Eternity" which is also certainly worth checking out. The other records are good, too, but that's mostly because of John McLaughlin.

Not necessarily -- see the entire activity of marching percussion, and DCI. Some of the best percussionists in the world today are the instructors of these lines, have their own signature Vic Firth drumsticks, and no one outside of the activity has any idea who they are. but the activity has grown a lot just in the last few years, but these guys definitely aren't household names. But I guess they could be considered successful, I think I've misplaced success with popularity in regards to your post.

Not necessarily -- see the entire activity of marching percussion, and DCI. Some of the best percussionists in the world today are the instructors of these lines, have their own signature Vic Firth drumsticks, and no one outside of the activity has any idea who they are.

I see your point I just disagree. This is sort of the argument 'if a tree falls and nobody is around, does it make a noise?'

In my opinion, no it doesn't.

In 200 years historians will not look back at marching percussion and DCI as a significant part of the time we live in.

For instance, nobody cares that there were better guitar players than John Lennon in the 1960s.

In 200 years historians will not look back at marching percussion and DCI as a significant part of the time we live in.

For instance, nobody cares that there were better guitar players than John Lennon in the 1960s.

Very true. Though, it is sad that some of the best at what they do are not recognized because they are not well known by the masses and only have a cult like following.

All I'm gonna say is that those that are on the teaching end of Drum Corps touch thousands of lives every year and are recognized by many people...and will also contribute to the growth of the future 'best drummers' in the genres of music that we love so much. I was just thinking in terms of 'mainstream' music like Rock n Roll. Because let's face it, the general population thinks "marching band" is dorky as hell. But as a lover of classic music, and all forms of music really, I don't... and realize the impact that some of these guys have on people. It's far greater than the impact that Carter Beauford has on people's lives.

No, I hate to penalize great musicians because their tastes prevent them from becoming stars. Especially during an era such as this one, where the music that makes the big money is as bland as distilled water.

This is the paradox: DMB has an overall sound a lot of people love, yet their drummer is one of the best in the world. He certainly is. It's just so hard to brush off all the great drummers these days just because they don't play music that the general public can digest on the first listen.

No, I hate to penalize great musicians because their tastes prevent them from becoming stars. Especially during an era such as this one, where the music that makes the big money is as bland as distilled water.

This is the paradox: DMB has an overall sound a lot of people love, yet their drummer is one of the best in the world. He certainly is. It's just so hard to brush off all the great drummers these days just because they don't play music that the general public can digest on the first listen.

sort of how every time I discuss music with a musician, they bring up fusion jazz.

newsflash, it sounds terrible, nobody cares how great they are as musicians :jerk:

:silly:

sort of how every time I discuss music with a musician, they bring up fusion jazz.

newsflash, it sounds terrible, nobody cares how great they are as musicians :jerk:

:silly:

QFT! I feel the same way. Everytime I try listening to that stuff because I want to see what the hypes about I just can't get into it. Complexity isn't very appealling to the ear. The only people who like this stuff are music snobs.

To my apparently uneducated ear it sounds like a train wreck. There's no "gel".

QFT! I feel the same way. Everytime I try listening to that stuff because I want to see what the hypes about I just can't get into it. Complexity isn't very appealling to the ear. The only people who like this stuff are music snobs.

There are different types of fusion jazz, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the genre. It ranges from very smooth, to very chaotic, differing in mood and sonic texture. Also, some of the music form influenced by rock, Latin, and has electric instrumentation, so it can be some of the more approachable jazz for the average listener (especially if they are not big on jazz).

This is one of my favorite songs, "Back-woods Song," from "Gateway," recorded by Jack DeJohnette, John Abercrombie, and Dave Holland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hypFSAKxC8

The song definitely can sound chaotic to the average listener, but it has its own pulse. Its own groove, especially with DeJohnette's playing.

You really should have used QFO, instead (Quoted For Opinion)

So, to people who completely understand an art or trade, such as actual musicians, since they can appreciate the intricacies of it more - so that makes them snobs ?

That's like saying that whatever your primary skill is, whether it's plumbing, that you're a snob about it, because you appreciate it more than someone who knows nothing about it. Expert Plumbers are all "Plumber Snobs".

Pretty silly.

And of course, fusion has gel. It's just a different kind of gel, and probably has more gel than most other genres, because it's complexity and odd time signatures, makes it that much more of a challenge to maintain the groove.

So, if complex music is useless, then I guess we should all listen to bubble-gum music like En Vogue, then, huh ?

Just because you can't dance to it, or bang your head to it, doesn't make it useless.

These people have devoted far more energy and time into their craft than most rock or pop musicians, and they deserve equal, if not more, respect.

So, how is it that Fusion is hated, for basically the same reason so many people love Rush or Dream Theater ?

Seem to have struck a nerve.

I can appreciate the complexity and the skill needed to play this type of music but it still just isn't pleasing to the ear. In my travels the majority of the people who really enjoy this genre of music tend to look down their noses at those who don't. That's all I'm saying, my comment was meant as a bit of a jab but no malice intended.

To each their own.

Agreed. That was probably one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this messageboard.

Seriously? Because I don't like jazz? It has been my experience that the majority of the people I've met that like jazz act as if you're a lower form of life if you're not into it. It's snobbish. Just an opinion. Having an opinion different from yours makes a person stupid? Shame on me.

I don't think it's about striking nerves, friend. It's about a completely inaccurate and ignorant statement. But you're right, complexity in music isn't for everyone.

Inaccurate and ignorant in your mind but I'm sure there are some that don't like "get" jazz that feel the same way as me.

I'm sure there are a fair share of people who think country is for a bunch of close minded rednecks. Just opinions, friend. We're all entitled to them.

Archived