Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder operated 980 shuts out 106.7 at Redskins Park

BleedinBurgNGold

A similar example could be when I heard Chris "Mad Dog" Russo complaining because he couldn't broadcast his SIRIUSXM show from the new Mets stadium because WTEM, the team's flagship station, wouldn't let him. As the station that pays for those rights, their entitled to certain privileges.

WFAN :cool:

Say what you want about Chad Dukes (I'm not a huge fan either), but he's right when he says Snyder is obsessed with controlling the media. If this report is true, it flat out proves it.

Nah I don't buy it. They are just trying to trump up their ratings thats all. Listen Dan Synder's interview with John Thompson and Doc. Dan Explain why he got into the radio business. He was betting againsts Satilite Radio that was the main reason why he jumped into the radio business. But I seriously doubt that happen.

Chad Dukes is a moron and the way he talks, saying things like "That's some good S" (he actually says "s") annoys the **** out of me. He's like a Junkies wannabe and has even adopted their retarded accent over the years.

You are aware Dukes got his start as an intern for the Junkies, right? He was basically trained for radio through that show.

And the Junkies have a great show, so I don't see the problem here.

I actually like Dukes, but I wish it was still the Big O and Dukes show. Everybody that calls into the show seems to want to talk about JC, so unfortunately that's where the conversation tends to gravitate to. And apparently they aren't really 'allowed' to talk about MMA either, which sucks with the PPV being on Saturday and all.

The Lavar show is un-listenable. I think that even if the 'Skins win the SB, they would say, "It couldn't have happened to a worse owner. Now he's going to be even worse"

I mean, I'm not the biggest Snyder fan in the world, especially after getting screwed on my season tickets, but they paint him to be Satan. I don't think he's quite the devil. Maybe close, but not THAT bad.

I like the variety. I hate that 980 has all the O's games, since there are a million of the damn things and I don't give a hoot about the O's.

And as far as Red Zebra getting perks at 'Skins park, no **** sherlock. The question is, is 106.7 being locked out of things that other non Snyder owned media outlets are able to access? I would assume that Red Zebra would get more than anybody else, but all the other outlets should be on par. If it's not, then that's not good and stupid.

why did they seperate doc walker and sheehan? i thought their show was pretty good. and i thought the john thompson show with b-mitch and czabes was sweet too. but they split all that up and now 12-4 p.m. on 980 is just not as good. cowherd's actually a really good show, but because i am a redskins fan at heart, i wont listen to him.

and dont get me started on mike and mike in the morning. the worst nationally syndicated radio show EVER.

on the other hand the junkies... classic. they're show is probably the best on radio right now. big o and dukes were okay (mostly because of oscar not chad dukes) but i can't tell if i like the UnWise Mike show or not. ive heard it a couple times and ive had mixed feelings for it.

the lavar and dukes show actually surprised me. i didnt even give it a chance because i thought lavar would be terrible and i never liked chad in the first place. but lavar is actually not a bad radio personality at all. dukes i have to admit is a good opposite compliment to lavar but i would still pummel his face in if i ever saw his ugly grill. and cut your hair dukes, you look like a f'ing girl troll doll... at best.

conclusion: 106.7 the fan, wjfk, whatever gay cbs radio wants to call it > 980

Part of it could be 106.7's announcer lines...like when they're coming back from commercial. I've definitely heard things like "106.7 the Fan, we're no one's mouthpiece" and stuff like that. I can understand why Snyder would be a little annoyed by this.

I have to say, I don't care much for the Lavar/Dukes show, mostly because of Lavar. Pains me to say it as a Penn State fan, but he's not very good. And he says some oddly childish things. I was listening to the end of one show, and he says "Remember kids, dare to be different, because being different is FUN!!!" And he screamed fun in this loud, high pitched voice. I wasn't sure if I was listening to sports radio or some child empowerment seminar. Either way, weird.

I'm giving them a few more weeks, but I may be heading back to Czabe and Andy Pollin.

Can you say.. Larry Michael?

Juxtaposed by Polin and Czaban. Polin is the ultra Skins hater. And when Czaban isn't on one of his highs (like the beginning of last season) he can be absolutely brutal.

Unless they are fired, then no one can really say that 980 filters the message.

I stopped listening to 980 when Bram left for espn.

As for 106.7 LaVar and Dukes is ok...better than John Thompson. At least I can hear some Redskins talk instead of Doc going on about the Lakers all day.

For me that's the opearive point. Synder owned 980 strangely doesn't seem that interested in talking about the Redskins. If you want to listen to the Redskins dissected good and bad, right now the place to go is 106.7.

I don't mind the 980 guys (sans John Thompson) and they are probably better radio guys than 106.7 Sheehan and Doc seem interested at times to talk Skins but from 4 on really nothing on that station, Czaben and Pollin on occasion talk Skins but they seem much more interested in other topics.

And then in the morning 980 is syndicated radio. Snyder's initially owned radio station, the X something or another IMO was better. Bram had a show on Monday and Friday night where he covered the Skins. Riggo at 4 talked a lot of Skins, etc. Those days are gone. 106.7 seems to be the station that ironically is filling in that void.

Edit: I don't really care a lot about the radio annoucers having an angle. I don't mind Larry praising the team on 980 or Lavar taking shots at 106.7 -- my key thing is simple I want radio shows that actually care enough to talk about the Skins, which right now seems to be 106.7 in a bigger way. I agree with those that say Snyder clearly isn't imposing his point of view on 980's radio annoucers. My issue with Snyder's station is they don't really cover the team a heck of a lot -- especially considering that a good chunk of the day doesn't have local programing with all the syndicated day and night shows on it.

I was trying to give 106.7 a chance this morning.... boy was that a waste of my time....

As I'm driving in to work they have a LONG segment about "Tom Sawyer" by Rush being one of the top 5 songs of all time. They replayed the intro like 5 times and brought in the girl intern to see if she had heard the song before. Don't get me wrong, decent song, but the segment was painful.

I'll stick with Czabe and Polin. They know the Redskins, and they know their history.

Doc is the only reason to listen to 980 but unfortunately he has John Thompson:doh: plus I can't get that station or the weak FM signals at work. But I do get 106.7 and actually think Lavar is a lot better than I thought he'd be. But 980 needs to dump Colin Cowherd, I don't see what the fascination is with him, he's awful:whoknows:

Yeah, I don't really care one way or the other...but I'll take the station with inside information any day over the one that propped itself up just to bash the Redskins organization.

980 has my vote!

Honestly, the Redskins station is a bunch of fluff... I'd rather have real opinion than a guy on the payroll reporting what he calls "news."

Honestly, the Redskins station is a bunch of fluff... I'd rather have real opinion than a guy on the payroll reporting what he calls "news."

Typically, yes. But you can't tell me that the Sports Reporters are homers...they bash the team and Snyder all the time. It just seems more real than the people 106.7 have lined up to bash him.

Andy and Czabe can be tools, but they share the frustrations that I do. They are annoyed at things that annoy me. They are hopeful about things that I'm hopeful about. Contrast that with Lavar (who carries quite a grudge) and Chad Dukes, who just pick a new negative thing to talk about each day...

It's obvious that 106.7 attempted to be the anti-Redskin station. That's fine, there are obviously plenty of fans who like that. I choose to stay "medium" and don't mind listening to people who report from Redskin Park. I'm an optimist...so I don't mind hopeful reporting in August. When it's November and we're 4-7, 980 will be gloomy...trust me.

Archived