Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Like the Lavar Show

method man

Not a huge fan of this, other than the amount of Redskins they get to come on. I think LaVar is too overbearing with his opinions and come off as ignorant sometimes.

I dont know if you all heard the interview with Renaldo Wynn the other day, but LaVar completely dominates the interviews, Dukes barely gets a word in. Then he goes on talking about how great of a player he was. I don't really care to hear that.

Chad Dukes is a bright spot on this show, too bad he can't always be himself because of the new format. Sounds like he is miserable for 4 hours a day. It just doesn't do it for me yet. Maybe they need to develop some more on-air chemistry.

Still miss the Big O and Dukes Show, more entertaining in my opinion.

I dont like Dukes in interviews (see Rohan Marley interview yesterday for example), and in that respect, I like it when Lavar takes the reigns away from him in an interview format. I think Dukes is the expendable component in this show. they could lose Dukes and still be a good show depending on who replaces him. They lose lavar and the show is over. Also, the players respond better to Lavar then they do Czabe, Andy or even Chad.

Lavar brings instant football credibility. He was actually teammates with some of the current Redskins and he worked under the current mgt. structure. More than I can say about any of the radio personalities at 980.

I think that he is going to become a radio star. He is still green....but I think that he has a very bright future.

I think Dukes is a bit lost. He was used to being the Alpha male and now is in the side car. Not sure that this relationship has long term legs.

He has stated on the show that he is a Redskins fan now. even living and coming from PA he is a Redskins fan over a Steelers fan. I like that.

Of course he will say that. No one in the area would listen to him if he said he was a Steelers fan (well, at least those who sold their tix to Steelers fans last season ;)).

It's good to have an alternative to Sports Reporters. Czaben can be funny at times when he cuts down on people, but overall I think they're idiots on that show. LaVar brings some credibility, but Dukes seems a little lost in the sports realm.

Tell you what, though... I did not like how when the show started on Monday that they tried their hardest to bait all of these new listeners in with the "this station is not owned by a team owner" rhetoric. They tried their hardest to point out that The Fan was going to be a station with no persuasion or effect of a team owner, and that the news was going to be unfiltered and unbiased. They even went on to say that "Snyder owns the message boards, so you KNOW they're filtered!". Do they really think we're idiots? IMO, ESPN 980 is very unfiltered, as far as Redskins coverage goes. Any of those ESPN 980 shows feature personalities that have ripped up on the Skins FO on a daily basis (Czaben being one of the worst offenders). I remember many postgame shows last season where they (and callers) were on the air just blasting the team on their poor performances. And we all know how ES gets when the season starts turning for the worst, and I think we can all agree that here we have free reign of the topics we choose to discuss the team (within the customary rules, of course). I'm sure Mr. Snyder wouldn't prefer bad publicity of his team on these outlets, but him being one of the most successful businessmen in the media industry, I think he knows a little better than to change the natural flow of talk radio and message boards to influence (and potentially alienate) his audience.

Also, the bit LaVar and Dukes did on "OMG, Snyder wants to buy 106.7 The Fan so he can influence all local radio!" was just stupid. They offered no credible source for this rumor ("we heard this last week" doesn't count), and to me it looked like they were grasping for anything just to rile the listeners up and agree with their entire anti-Snyder viewpoint that day.

I'm not big a Snyder supporter by any means, but I found that this was just silly, and frankly, informed Redskins fans should be offended.

I have been listening to it this week and it has been growing on me. I definitely like it better than the sports reporters. At times Lavar screams alot but he seems to have good opinions and I like the shock jock mentality Dukes brings to the show. Lavar chooses not to comment on some things while Dukes will say whatever he feels. I dunno I think as it goes on it can only get better. Not as bad as I thought.

Also, the bit LaVar and Dukes did on "OMG, Snyder wants to buy 106.7 The Fan so he can influence all local radio!" was just stupid. They offered no credible source for this rumor ("we heard this last week" doesn't count), and to me it looked like they were grasping for anything just to rile the listeners up and agree with their entire anti-Snyder viewpoint that day.

I'm not big a Snyder supporter by any means, but I found that this was just silly, and frankly, informed Redskins fans should be offended.

Good post man and thats the only part of the show that pissed me off. I listened to the show when they were talking about him trying to buy 106.7 and like you said they lost alot of credibility about how Snyder censors 980. I had a nice rant about that in the 106.7 thread.

I like his show too! I listened with an open mind despite the bad ending he had with the 'Skins. He provides good insight on a lot of sports topics and he's smart. I used to like his interviews on the John Thompson Show years ago even during his (and our Skins) bad times. I like how he and Chad aren't afraid to disagree by expressing each other's opinions in a fairly articulate way. He also goes out of his way to take the "high road" with his callers' opinions unlike the Sports Reporters who I gave up on years ago. I'll definitely keep him tuned in.

Hail!

Hail!

I've listened for a little bit. It's not horrible. Chad Dukes is still a fat moron but Lavar speaks better than I thought he would. That being said, is it just me or does he sometimes sound like he's trying to do an impersonation of Dave Chappelle's impersonation of Rick James? I think it's the frat boy "Whoooooo" thing someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

The show is pretty good as I knew it would be. And why do so many people think LaVar is dumb? He has never given off that impression. Is it because he is a big black linebacker? Everyone will say no but we all know the truth. Anyway I like the show because now I dont have to listen to the Sports Reporters...thank goodness. And anyone who doesnt like Doc Walker must not like real football/man talk.

I caught the tail end of Kevin Barnes' interview. He was effusive in his praise of Orakpo. All the vets apparently like Orakpo and seem to think he is gonna be special. When he gets into a 4 point frog stance he literally explodes off the line and nobody can consistently block him. He also said that Orakpo has no trouble covering TEs when he plays LB.

Of course this is from a rookie that hasn't played a down yet so take it for what it's worth but it excites me nonetheless.

I heard the Barnes interview as well. he sounded focused. I also liked the praise he had for Orakpo. "He looks comfortable standing up, he has a quick first step." I was very pleased with that:cool:

My hope is that he turns into an over achiever.

These interviews are what I like about the Lavar Show. Im not a Dukes fan though.

I generally think Chad Dukes is a jackass, but I am in complete agreement with him on the topic of the bandwagon Steelers fans infesting DC.

His job is to be polarizing as Arrington will play most things down the middle.

It's no O&D, but pretty entertaining.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks in and this has become my go-to show on the morning commute home. Yeah, Czabe and Andy are funny at times, but I don't give a crap about golf, which is what they talk about 90% of the time. They are also newbs when it comes to all DC sports except the Nats.

Lavar is still doing a great job and the way he messes with Dukes and gets him all riled up is funny. I also like the way he does subtly make fun of some of the fans who call in by repeating the cliches they say in a hick accent.

I used to listen to almost every second of the Big O and Dukes show,so I may be biased. But don't you all find that the LaVar show is way too negative? I mean seriously, every time I tune in all they are doing is bashing Snyder. They make it seem like 980 is pure Snyder propaganda...which I think is completely false. We understand that he owns the competition station, but seriously....There are other things to talk about besides how much Snyder is the devil. The Junkies can fill 13 segments with several different topics, and they do barely any show prep. They are radio veterans...but still. LaVar and Dukes have until 2 PM to get **** together...they should have more variety.

A few weeks in and this has become my go-to show on the morning commute home. Yeah, Czabe and Andy are funny at times, but I don't give a crap about golf, which is what they talk about 90% of the time. They are also newbs when it comes to all DC sports except the Nats.

Lavar is still doing a great job and the way he messes with Dukes and gets him all riled up is funny. I also like the way he does subtly make fun of some of the fans who call in by repeating the cliches they say in a hick accent.

I am not enamored with Lavar's style but playing off of this point he does talk about the Redskins and a lot. With Czaben I agree, the Redskins seem to be an after thought.

My ride home is so much better now with the Lavar show. I'm not a big Czabe and Andy Pollin fan. Lavar's show seems to always have sports topics that I'm interested in. The only thing I don't like is if and when you call in they leave you on hold forever. I mean they'll go to commercial a zillion times before they get to you.

I love the Lavar Show, but hate hate hate Chad Dukes. I understand he has to be polarizing, i get that. However he has no finesse with the callers who make actual points. he writes off the point and states his louder again before disconnecting the caller. I hate for far to one side or the other he goes. On this radio show, there is no middle ground with Dukes and I know its not like that for him in real life. Thats a big part of why i don't like Dukes. I like the show, but i cant wait for Lavar to get a better commentary/interview guy. His arguments on the ends of the spectrum are all crap too. if he made valid points it would be different. Instead he clings to misleading stats and repeating his opinions louder then previously, to make his points.

It still beats 980 though.

Archived