Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Like the Lavar Show

method man

I've listened for brief periods this week and so far I have to admit it isn't too bad. The topics they've been talking about when I've listened in the 5-6 pm hour have been decent. I think I might like Lavar's show more than I liked the John Riggins show. The Sports Reporters is still my first choice, but Arrington/Dukes might be a decent alternative, especially given that we're heading into the time of year when Skins coverage is being ramped up. I don't know......I still find Czaban entertaining, but Andy Pollin is getting old.

If there's an alternative to listening to Dan Snyder's radio station for sports talk, I will tune into it 100% of the time. I've been listening to LaVar and the rest of the 106.7 lineup since Monday to protest Snyder as much as anything else. It's easier when you've got a moron like Pollin in charge of the drive time show on 980.

I will never give up my love of the Redskins, but if I can contribute to regime change in some small way, I'll do it.

Now watch the dictator go buy WJFK...

I thought I was going to hate it, but he is now growing on me. He's taken some of the sting out of his Poston era escapades. I still think he believes he's "Mr. Redskin" wheras Cooley seems to have waltzed right into that role by shtuping a Redskinette and starting a blog. He wasted an amazing amount of good will. I thought he was as dumb as a stump to do that and expected to find out that all those concussions had done permanent brain damage. He has come out rather nicely though and seems to have decent morals etc.

I agree. I don't think it'll be must-hear radio all the time, but they do a good job focusing on a topic or two each day. I do like it better than listening to Riggins last year and I don't even bother with Czaban on ESPN 980.

He definitely seems better for radio than the occasional segments he did on Comcast postgame last couple years.

I like the Lavar show as well. i wish he had someone better then Dukes next to him though. Did anyone hear the interview with Rahim Marley yesterday? ( I think I butchered the spelling of his first name). Very good radio actually, and I went online and ordered some Marley Coffee beans.

I like Lavars show because he thinks like a celebrity athlete with a head on his shoulders. I think his words give insight to the thought process of a celeb athlete, and I think his words hold more water then most talking heads in the DC area because he was so close with Snyder... hell they played chess against each other on road trips. Listening to Lavar is great for my ride home. he keeps it light, tries to be funny, and isn't afraid of goofing on himself or making himself sound stupid just to lighten a moment.

I havent switched back to 980am since the Fan came online. Snyder should have ponied up for WJFK when he had the chance, I see the station killing Red Zebra.

I'm not sure why people ever thought Lavar was stupid. He's well read, plays and studies chess, etc. Not a dumb guy.

Now, did he cause a hell of a lot of ill will among the fanbase? Sure he did, but he's not an idiot.

I haven't listened to the show yet, but will probably give it a whirl, especially if he's toning down the anti-Skins rhetoric.

I'm not sure why people ever thought Lavar was stupid. He's well read, plays and studies chess, etc. Not a dumb guy.

Now, did he cause a hell of a lot of ill will among the fanbase? Sure he did, but he's not an idiot.

I haven't listened to the show yet, but will probably give it a whirl, especially if he's toning down the anti-Skins rhetoric.

He has stated on the show that he is a Redskins fan now. even living and coming from PA he is a Redskins fan over a Steelers fan. I like that. He speaks well of the players, and when Betts and JC were on, they responded well to him. Familiarity that other media heads don't have. This show has ginormous potential.

I've listend to it a bit and think it's pretty good. I've not heard them say anything that grates me yet. I sort of like the Sports Reporters, but it depends on what they're talking about. I find Polin to be very annoying as he hates on a lot of stuff he doesn't even understand. Czaban is still funny, but at times is annoying.

For the time being I think I'm going to stick with Lavar's show to see how consistent they are.

Its better than I had expected. Dukes is a good guy to get Lavar situated into Radio a bit and to carry the show for a while to let Lavar settle in and find his rhytem. You can see the chemistry between the duo improving each day and while its still half a world away from the chemistry of Oscar and Dukes, its at least growing.

I think camp needs to start and football needs to get underway BADLY, because there's only so many football stories right now and other sports stories right now well...suck. Who cares about Natinals baseball.

I was beating it down earlier this week, but I keep listening (I used to listen to the Sports Reporters) so I can't hate it that much.

They are improving, that's for sure. I still think Dukes needs to get up to speed from a sports perspective, but they do seem to have good chemistry. And, in terms of Lavar, he's always been very articulate and seems to have a great personality. That's not the issue...I just don't always agree with his views and personally can't stand when he whines about the Redskin front office.

All in all, it's not a bad second option for the drive home.

I think the show has been a pleasant surprise so far. When I initially heard about the Dukes/Arrington pairing, I thought the worst. I have found them to be a fun "listen," and a wonderful alternative to 980 on my drive home. No disrespect to Andy and Czabe, but sometimes their ego(s) gets in the way of having a good show from time to time. It gets boring to hear Andy's "lists," Steve talking about HDTV, etc etc....again, the Lavar/Dukes show is a good alternative.

It's too bad that Lavar left such a bad taste in the mouth of many in the Skins fanbase. If people could get past the fact that what's in the past is well, in the past, they would find that Arrington is engaging, articulate, and bright. I love hearing things from his perspective and there is nothing wrong with a new voice in our radio market.

As far as Dukes, this was an opportunity of a lifetime for him. He'd be a fool to turn this down. He's only going to get better. No, he's not on the level of Andy/Czabe, but I find his persona/humility refreshing in the fact that he doesn't pretend to know it all like some other folks on the radio...

I look at the upcoming weeks for Lavar/Dukes as "practice" before the season actually starts up. I can only imagine that the both of them will only improve from here on out.

Not a huge fan of this, other than the amount of Redskins they get to come on. I think LaVar is too overbearing with his opinions and come off as ignorant sometimes.

I dont know if you all heard the interview with Renaldo Wynn the other day, but LaVar completely dominates the interviews, Dukes barely gets a word in. Then he goes on talking about how great of a player he was. I don't really care to hear that.

Chad Dukes is a bright spot on this show, too bad he can't always be himself because of the new format. Sounds like he is miserable for 4 hours a day. It just doesn't do it for me yet. Maybe they need to develop some more on-air chemistry.

Still miss the Big O and Dukes Show, more entertaining in my opinion.

Archived