Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Holy Moly - ESPN: Cassel signs 6-year, $63M contract w/ KC

jrockster21

He was tagged as a franchise player by N.E. and traded as such. He was due to make almost 15 Million before this contract. Yes it's a gamble, but they just saved nearly 5,000,000 on this year's cap.

He played alright last year, but if anyone can tell me a QB they've seen recently that handles a blitz worse than Cassell, I'd love to know who.

Cassell folds like a cheap suit under pressure, that is a stone fact. Kansas City's OL sucks, and that's another stone fact.

Add those two together and this smells like a deal that even Snyder would cringe over.

~Bang

I honestly don't think this was a bad move. It's a much better move than signing a rookie QB for more than this. They know what this guy can do in the NFL and that he can play. He may or may not have a pro bowl season, but it's cheaper than the 15 million that he was franchised at. If he does have a pro bowl season, it will be an absolutely great signing because he would have asked for more at the end of the year.

It's a good move for both sides.

If we had done it we would be getting destroyed by the media and everyone else.

KC does it............ITS AN AWESOME SIGNING.

Yay.

+1! He had one good season with 2 of the best WRs in the game and a system he had been in for 3 years learning. KC would've been smart to see what he can do there first before they give him all that money.

But you're right, if that was us who just gave someone all that money after one good year, we'd be getting bashed left and right.

I personally would have waited for him to atleast play half the season to see if his play carried over from NE. The only good point they made on NFL live yesterday was all the rookies getting absurd contracts and never having stepped foot on the field, while Cassel atleast proved he could play last year in the NFL. I still dont agree with jumping the gun this soon.

I guess you have never heard of the draft.

Which is why the salary cap is seriously flawed.

Matt Stafford (#1 overall) 41.7 guaranteed

Matt Ryan (#3 overall 2008) 34.75 guaranteed

Mark Sanchez (#5 overall) 28 mil guaranteed

Jake Long 30mil guaranteed

I honestly don't think this was a bad move. It's a much better move than signing a rookie QB for more than this. They know what this guy can do in the NFL and that he can play. He may or may not have a pro bowl season, but it's cheaper than the 15 million that he was franchised at. If he does have a pro bowl season, it will be an absolutely great signing because he would have asked for more at the end of the year.

It's a good move for both sides.

No, they know what he can do on a team that just came off an undefeated season (except one!).

They know he can play on one of the best offenses in history.

I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't bust all over KC like a watermelon dropped off of a skyscraper. The way he handles pressure is as bad as Patrick Ramsey, and with the Chiefs porous OL he's going to be just as shell shocked by season's end.

If he has a Pro Bowl season, it will be an absolute miracle.

~Bang

His stats last year were pretty good. He threw for almost 3700 yards, threw 516 passes, 21 TD's and 11 INT's. Yes, he was on a team that went undefeated in the regular season the year before, but he still showed that he can manage the game. He won't have a pro bowl season because of the players around him. He did prove though that if you give him a team to work with, that he will win for you. That's the number 1 factor as a pro QB. There are very few QB's that will be able to be on a bad team and still win a lot of games.

Look at this list from above

For what it's worth...

2004 Peyton Manning - $99.2M 7-Yr, $14.1M/Yr

2005 Carson Palmer - $118.7M 9-Yr, $13.1M/Yr

2006 Drew Brees - $60.0M 6-Yr, $10.0M/Yr

2006 Tom Brady - $60.0M 6-Yr, $10.0M/Yr

2007 Tony Romo sits to pee - $67.7M 6-Yr, $11.2M/Yr

2008 Ben Roethlisberger - $102.0M 8-Yr, $12.7M/Yr

2008 Matt Ryan - $66.0M 6-Yr, $11M/Yr

2008 Aaron Rodgers - $65.0M 6-Yr, $10.8M/Yr

2009 Matthew Stafford - $72.0M 6-Yr, $12.0M/Yr

2009 Mark Sanchez - $44.5M 5-Yr, $8.9M/Yr

2009 Donovan McNabb - $24.5M 2-Yr, $12.2M/Yr

2009 Kurt Warner - $23M 2-Yr, $11.5M/Yr

2009 Matt Cassel - $63M 6-Yr, $10.5M/Yr

How many of them do you think could win on a bad team?

They got a building block here and I still feel as though it's a great move on their part.

I really don't understand why the Chiefs wouldn't even give Tyler Thigpen a chance. I thought he played pretty well at the end of last year, and he at least deserves the opportunity to compete for the starting position.

These two are the ones that stand out to me. Both of these contracts hampered the ability of their teams to add significant players that would help them win. Indy in particular could have benefitted from additional cap room to sign better defensive players, and may have been in more than just the one Super Bowl. I understand these guys want to get paid, but when it hurts the team, what's the point? (Other than selfishness and greed.)
The Colts won the Superbowl in 2006 and have had a top 11 defense the last two years.
Which is why the salary cap is seriously flawed.

Matt Stafford (#1 overall) 41.7 guaranteed

Matt Ryan (#3 overall 2008) 34.75 guaranteed

Mark Sanchez (#5 overall) 28 mil guaranteed

Jake Long 30mil guaranteed

Aside from the first ten or so picks, the draft is a massive bargain compared to everything else. For instance, Shawne Merriman was the 12th pick in the 2005 draft and he is currently set to make $2.27 million this year.

His stats last year were pretty good. He threw for almost 3700 yards, threw 516 passes, 21 TD's and 11 INT's. Yes, he was on a team that went undefeated in the regular season the year before, but he still showed that he can manage the game. He won't have a pro bowl season because of the players around him. He did prove though that if you give him a team to work with, that he will win for you. That's the number 1 factor as a pro QB. There are very few QB's that will be able to be on a bad team and still win a lot of games.

I don't know what it is ... or how they do it. But anybody they put up there in New England they find ways to win.

So in essence this is a front loaded contract that KC can get out of in about three years if it doesn't work. With the 28 mill guaranteed he only makes about 7 million per year. Similar to the Albert Haynesworth contract there is no way Cassell will see the full six-years. He will either bust and be cut within 3 years or play well and restructure.

So in essence this is a front loaded contract that KC can get out of in about three years if it doesn't work. With the 28 mill guaranteed he only makes about 7 million per year. Similar to the Albert Haynesworth contract there is no way Cassell will see the full six-years. He will either bust and be cut within 3 years or play well and restructure.

Or they could have waited til the end of this season to see if he would bust, and if he didn't, sign him to a deal like this. Way way too much and way too early.

While the jury is still out on Cassel, I cannot help but scratch my head with this one. The reasons against doing this are so many its actually unbelievable. For starters, he is an unproven QB who has only 1 season under his belt. Secondly, Pioli just came from New England where they let the greatest Draft Diamond in the Rough win two championships before they signed him to a huge deal. Brady proved that he was the real deal before he got his fat contract. Thirdly, the Chiefs have so many holes to fill, why invest so much into a position that again is still an unknown?

Perhaps he has lit up OTAS or something. Because based on his career of work (which was just last season), it seems to be a poor investment.

Only time will tell though. I personally think the guy is gonna be decent but not great. Definitely not worth that money. So we'll see.

For what it's worth...

2004 Peyton Manning - $99.2M 7-Yr, $14.1M/Yr

2005 Carson Palmer - $118.7M 9-Yr, $13.1M/Yr

2006 Drew Brees - $60.0M 6-Yr, $10.0M/Yr

2006 Tom Brady - $60.0M 6-Yr, $10.0M/Yr

2007 Tony Romo sits to pee - $67.7M 6-Yr, $11.2M/Yr

2008 Ben Roethlisberger - $102.0M 8-Yr, $12.7M/Yr

2008 Matt Ryan - $66.0M 6-Yr, $11M/Yr

2008 Aaron Rodgers - $65.0M 6-Yr, $10.8M/Yr

2009 Matthew Stafford - $72.0M 6-Yr, $12.0M/Yr

2009 Mark Sanchez - $44.5M 5-Yr, $8.9M/Yr

2009 Donovan McNabb - $24.5M 2-Yr, $12.2M/Yr

2009 Kurt Warner - $23M 2-Yr, $11.5M/Yr

2009 Matt Cassel - $63M 6-Yr, $10.5M/Yr

I wonder what Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, and Jay Cutler will want.

Looking at those contracts, I guessing that Eli, Rivers, and Cutler are going to ask for triple digit figures, especially since some of those QBs have not even played a regular season down for their team yet.

Can you say boom or bust? That's what cassel is going to do. Either he booms it like Trent Green did when Al Saunders was the OC under Vermeil was it? Or, he busts worse than anyone, and becomes a journeyman like Vinny Intercepteverde ;)

Archived