Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Holy Moly - ESPN: Cassel signs 6-year, $63M contract w/ KC

jrockster21

That seems kinda stupid to me.

Understatement of the century. Holy crap, what are all the PROVEN quarterbacks gonna want next season, like rivers and manning, between this and the rookie scale. Seems to me that unless this cap gets removed, basically all the teams are eventually gonna be able to afford are the qbs. this is a ridiculous signing. He was worth MAYBE 25-30 mil range, and even that's a bit premature. He's got a great agent, and like earlier poster said, this will define Pioli's career.

Understatement of the century. Holy crap, what are all the PROVEN quarterbacks gonna want next season, like rivers and manning, between this and the rookie scale. Seems to me that unless this cap gets removed, basically all the teams are eventually gonna be able to afford are the qbs. this is a ridiculous signing. He was worth MAYBE 25-30 mil range, and even that's a bit premature. He's got a great agent, and like earlier poster said, this will define Pioli's career.

if JC has a big year.... he will be one rich sum****

I usually dont care how much money Snyder has to dish out for our players, but I would be livid if he wrote a check like this to a player as unproven as this. I think our organization is in a better spot than KC's (though that division is WAYYY easier), if this move fails, this will set that franchise further back another 5-7 years.That's a huge gamble on someone who's been a career backup under 2 of the better qb coaches in college and the NFL.

That's gutsy as hell. The better thing I feel would've been to let him play out his one year deal and prove to the coaching staff that he is the real thing, then sign him to a big contract. Still, I'm not so sure if this will pan out too well. KC has Dwayne Bowe for a receiver, and that's pretty much it ...

If we had done it we would be getting destroyed by the media and everyone else.

KC does it............ITS AN AWESOME SIGNING.

Yay.

Of course the Skins would've been destroyed for doing something similar because that's the type of contract Snyder is known for giving out. IMO, the Chiefs could have waited to sign Cassel to this type of extension. Cassel will killed if he doesn't put up numbers similar to what he had in NE.

For what it's worth...

2004 Peyton Manning - $99.2M 7-Yr, $14.1M/Yr

2005 Carson Palmer - $118.7M 9-Yr, $13.1M/Yr

2006 Drew Brees - $60.0M 6-Yr, $10.0M/Yr

2006 Tom Brady - $60.0M 6-Yr, $10.0M/Yr

2007 Tony Romo sits to pee - $67.7M 6-Yr, $11.2M/Yr

2008 Ben Roethlisberger - $102.0M 8-Yr, $12.7M/Yr

2008 Matt Ryan - $66.0M 6-Yr, $11M/Yr

2008 Aaron Rodgers - $65.0M 6-Yr, $10.8M/Yr

2009 Matthew Stafford - $72.0M 6-Yr, $12.0M/Yr

2009 Mark Sanchez - $44.5M 5-Yr, $8.9M/Yr

2009 Donovan McNabb - $24.5M 2-Yr, $12.2M/Yr

2009 Kurt Warner - $23M 2-Yr, $11.5M/Yr

2009 Matt Cassel - $63M 6-Yr, $10.5M/Yr

I wonder what Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, and Jay Cutler will want.

For what it's worth...

2004 Peyton Manning - $99.2M 7-Yr, $14.1M/Yr

2005 Carson Palmer - $118.7M 9-Yr, $13.1M/Yr

These two are the ones that stand out to me. Both of these contracts hampered the ability of their teams to add significant players that would help them win. Indy in particular could have benefitted from additional cap room to sign better defensive players, and may have been in more than just the one Super Bowl. I understand these guys want to get paid, but when it hurts the team, what's the point? (Other than selfishness and greed.)

Archived