Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Holy Moly - ESPN: Cassel signs 6-year, $63M contract w/ KC

jrockster21

He played alright last year, but if anyone can tell me a QB they've seen recently that handles a blitz worse than Cassell, I'd love to know who.

Cassell folds like a cheap suit under pressure, that is a stone fact. Kansas City's OL sucks, and that's another stone fact.

Add those two together and this smells like a deal that even Snyder would cringe over.

~Bang

Snyder would have thrown in another 20 million or so.

So in essence this is a front loaded contract that KC can get out of in about three years if it doesn't work. With the 28 mill guaranteed he only makes about 7 million per year. Similar to the Albert Haynesworth contract there is no way Cassell will see the full six-years. He will either bust and be cut within 3 years or play well and restructure.

It's $40.5M over the first 3 seasons - he's not only making the guaranteed money over that timeframe, he also gets a salary. Even if you based it on only the $28M guaranteed during that span, that's over $9M a season.

All for a guy that has showed that he could take the best offense the game has ever seen and make it run decently enough - as long as he's playing one of the weakest schedules and playing against mediocre defenses. The guy takes sacks like they're going out of style, and gets shredded by good defenses.

If you compare it to Stafford's contract, then this deal makes some sense - Cassel has certainly proven more than he has in the NFL. But the money a QB gets as the top pick in the draft has little to do with production or merit or placement amongst established players in the league, so it's a bad basis of comparison. It seems very early to give up that kind of coin for a guy with as many question marks as Cassel. I'm sure Pioli is operating with a lot more info than we are, so, from his perspective, it may make much more sense. I'm not seeing it, though :no:.

What type of QB is Cassel?

I think he means that Cassel will be playing in an offense that's similar in style to the one he ran in New England, considering Haley's high powered aerial style of offense. The big question in KC though is the lack of weapons. Haley no longer has Fitzgerald and Boldin to make his offense great, and Cassel no longer has Moss and Welker to fall back on. How these two will fair with only Dwayne Bowe as a target is something I'm really curious about.

I think he means that Cassel will be playing in an offense that's similar in style to the one he ran in New England, considering Haley's high powered aerial style of offense. The big question in KC though is the lack of weapons. Haley no longer has Fitzgerald and Boldin to make his offense great, and Cassel no longer has Moss and Welker to fall back on. How these two will fair with only Dwayne Bowe as a target is something I'm really curious about.

It seemed to me that Cassel's greatest production came from getting the ball in his receiver's hands quickly and letting them do the damage. In other words, it was largely dependent on the skill of his receivers, once he got the hang of trusting them and releasing the ball quickly.

While Haley had a bevy of talented receivers in Arizona, I think Warner played a much bigger part in the production of the passing game than Cassel did in NE.

In other words, they're now asking Cassel to be the primary playmaker, rather than the guy who gets the ball into the playmaker's hands. Big difference.

This could cripple KC for quite some time.

Cassel played well, mostly, last year. But to give up that kind of money for a guy who has ONLY played one year since high-school is really foolish. Sure, it may work out, but 9 out of 10 times its a flash in the pan and ends up costing the franchise dearly.

Archived