Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mac World: Microsoft to sell Windows 7 for $50

heyholetsgogrant

I have a question that I'm sure someone on here can tell me. I downloaded the Windows 7 upgrade advisor. It told me my processor speed is 810MHz and is too slow to run Windows 7. When I look at my system properties, it says I have a 1.70MHz processor. Why is it only showing half my processor speed?

Is it a Dual Core CPU? AMD? Intel? Not certain as I have not ran the upgrade advisor, but could be an issue reading the cores.

or just get a friend who is a student or employee of a college to pick up a copy. thats how i got my xp and office xp. my cousin was at UMBC and through them winxp was free and office xp was $10. so thats how i got my copies. which are supposed to be different from the in store versions. something about the registering process. i know clemson has the same deal going on for students.

or my computer guy is an authorized something or other for netgear and microsoft and all these other places and he gets the same products as the colleges. cuz he was saying he could get me the same free version of vista from microsoft if i wanted it then. but i didnt. and thats when he told me about win7, though it was by its original code name. cuz it was like two years ago, maybe longer.

Yea, I went to UMBC and for the first couple years I was there they still had their Microsoft partnership for the software discounts. XP was actually $15 and office was $10 or $15 as well. I remember buying Visual Studio 2005 pro for $30, which was normally $300 at the time. And it was legit! Either way, sadly that academic partnership with Microsoft that gave those discounts isn't available anymore :(

Either way, I won't be paying for 7. Thank goodness for my work's MSDN subscription :)\

total NOOB question. So my laptop that has Vista will get upgraded to Windows 7. Will I still have my files or will all my files be wiped out?

When using the Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 (RC1), the upgrade option kept all your settings and files and only changed the operating system. I did not do this myself as I went from XP to 7 on two different PCs, but two people I work with used the Upgrade option and kept all their data just fine.

At most you are paying $300 more. You want a cheap Mac? Here you go...

It's a cheap Mac. Look at the Hardware, what you get and compare. This is just a two second glance.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999112300050013&type=product&id=pcmprd112400050013

I mean you get the WHOLE computer...Not just a CPU. ;)

Oh I know, Mac hardware is so superior. :silly:

As far as data plan pricing, your argument is of no value. This isn't something I made up:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9964059-1.html

I was on a golf trip last year. My buddy forgot his car charger for his iPhone. We stopped at a "super" gas station along the way which sold chargers. He bought an iPhone charger that they sold (it wasn't made by Apple). It said fully compatible. Yeah, well when he plugged it in his iPhone software kindly informed him it wasn't an Apple charger and would not charge his phone for him. Hahahahaha.

Same old Apple.

I think it's funny how Microsoft talks about an "Apple tax" on Mac hardware when they charge as much as they do for their OS and create 20 different versions just to maximize profits.

$50 for the basic version is an awesome price by MS standards but it's still a rip off.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/03/windows-7-skus-announced-yes-your-worst-nightmare-has-come-to/2

Windows 7 Starter

Available worldwide to OEMs on new PCs

Missing Aero UI tweaks

Limited to 3 simultaneous applications

Windows 7 Home Basic (Vista equivalent: $200)

Only available in emerging markets

Missing Aero UI tweaks

Windows 7 Home Premium (Vista equivalent: $260)

Available worldwide, to OEMs and in retail

Includes Aero UI tweaks

Features multi-touch capabilities

Adds "premium" games

Adds media capabilities (Media Center, DVD playback, DVD creation, etc.)

Can create home network groups

Windows 7 Professional (Vista equivalent: $300)

Available worldwide, to OEMs and in retail

Includes all features of Premium

Adds enhanced networking capabilities (Remote Desktop host, domain support, offline folders, etc.)

Adds Mobility Center

Adds Presentation Mode

Windows 7 Enterprise

Available only in volume licenses

Includes all features of Professional

Adds Branch Cache

Adds Direct Access

Adds BitLocker

Windows 7 Ultimate (Vista equivalent: $320)

Limited OEM and retail availability

Includes all features of Enterprise

Apple's next upgrade for those moving up from the last version by comparison will be $29 for a full 64 bit version with no limitations. The standard price is $129 or you can get a five user pack for $199.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/home?os=nonwin7

And the botom line...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-MDNuq94Zg_8/nyt_did_microsoft_rip_off_apple_mac_os_x_in_windows_vista/

"....Widgets... Gadgets.... Not the same thing!" LOL

Just sayin'... :D

I think it's funny how Microsoft talks about an "Apple tax" on Mac hardware when they charge as much as they do for their OS and create 20 different versions just to maximize profits.

I mean would you rather pay 2 grand for Mac Hardware with a bargain on their OS sale?

Or would you rather pay 1 grand for a Windows PC which includes the rip off price for the OS?

Or how about the deal Apple makes on the new iPhone. It's cheaper, but the cost of monthly service gets hiked so you pay for the hardware tenfold.

I am pumped about Windows 7. No need to argue on pricing as compared to MacOS. It's apples to oranges.

I mean would you rather pay 2 grand for Mac Hardware with a bargain on their OS sale?

Or would you rather pay 1 grand for a Windows PC which includes the rip off price for the OS?

Or how about the deal Apple makes on the new iPhone. It's cheaper, but the cost of monthly service gets hiked so you pay for the hardware tenfold.

I am pumped about Windows 7. No need to argue on pricing as compared to MacOS. It's apples to oranges.

First off, the price difference isnt a grand. Not for the same or similar hardware. At most you are paying $300 more. You want a cheap Mac? Here you go...

overview-in-the-box.jpg

2.0GHz : 120GB

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB memory

120GB hard drive1

8x double-layer SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

$599.00

And the iPhone's data plan is no more expensive than it is for other smart phones. That's a fact. Not an opinion. So your argument flies out the window.

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/popup/dataconnect-comp-table.jsp

I have an original iPhone. I dont have 3G so my plan is +$20 per month vs the basic 3G plan of $30. But with wifi and Apple's free software upgrades, it still rocks and in fact, it keeps getting better.

Seriously man, your arguments went out the window years ago. This isn't the old Apple. Prices are at or near the same levels as PCs for hardware. The OS is a powerhouse and a thing of beauty. And now they are finally catching up on the server/enterprise capabilities they have been lacking.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=117252

The newest Apple Xserve, redesigned around Intel's Nehalem Xeon quad-core CPU, adds performance to the list of Xserve's leadership criteria. Nehalem Xserve is very likely the fastest, most energy-efficient, and most cost-effective dual-socket 1U rack server on the market. (and it comes with an unlimited client license for under $3,000 - MM)

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/browse/home/shop_mac/family/xserve?mco=NDQ4ODc2Ng

The good thing for you is that it will drive Microsoft that much harder to put out better products of their own (see how they copied the features in OSX for Vista and have worked so hard to fix Vista's many bugs), and lower their prices (at least for a limited time) to compete with Apple. In the end, we both win.

:D

Originally Posted by jnhay

Do Macs have a right click yet?

Yes. they have for quite some time now.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/design.html

They also work with all major third party pointing devices. I use a Logitech wireless mouse and have at times worked with a mouse, trackball, and pen tablet hooked up at the same time.

Dude, seriously. A Mac is more expensive. I could go and spend a lot of time showing you a computer that is far and beyond a Mac and significantly cheaper...bit it's not worth my time. EVERYONE knows it true including you. Why argue?

Bingo!!!!

When you can buy a pc with a quad core and 4 gig of ram for only $500 I would be scared to see what that would cost for on a mac

Dude, seriously. A Mac is more expensive. I could go and spend a lot of time showing you a computer that is far and beyond a Mac and significantly cheaper...bit it's not worth my time. EVERYONE knows it true including you. Why argue?

I Never said they were not more expensive. I said they were not $1000 more expensive as you said and I'm correct.

No THE POINT was it wasn't a POS gadget that didn't work, it was a POS GADGET THAT WORKED, but APPLE programs into their unit to not allow anything but APPLE parts. So it wouldn't charge the Apple, not because the workability but because of Apples continued PROPRIETARY mentality.

Dude. You seriously are delirious. There are more aftermarket parts for the iPhone than any other phone on the market. I have two aftermarket chargers for my iPhone and iPod. They work great. Would you like me to send your friend one? :doh:

What part of that do you not get? You really can't be that slow.

Evidently not as slow as you.

My statement holds true. Apple dropped their hardware prices, and increased their usage price. It's no secret. It's in black and white for you to read in the other link.

"increased their usage price" WTF are you talking about? Dude. You're just making **** up now.

Regardless.

The simplest fact is a Mac machine with similar specs is more expensive than a PC with the same specs. You can argue until you are blue in the face, but that's just the fact. My point was that you don't seem to comprehend is Mac makes their money on hardware sales. Windows makes their money on software sales. Windows doesn't sell proprietary machines and have the option to sell cheap OS's and make it back on overpriced hardware...which is what Apple does.

Again...

I never said they weren't more expensive. I said they were not $1000 more than a similarly configured PC. I was correct.

You claimed Macs coast $1000 more, you were wrong.

What part of this do you find difficult to understand?

I only brought up the charger, as I was amused Apple even refuses to allow a second party charger to power their units, they build stuff into the OS to detect and reject any component not made by Apple....which btw if you understand their history, almost led to their demise.

Dude. You really think Apple is keeping third parties from making working accessories for the iPod or iPhone ?

:hysterical::rotflmao::hysterical:

Here's a link for your friend... :hysterical:

http://www.igearusa.com/?gclid=CIuK2Mb4rZsCFQpgswoddSW-Cg

It's a cheap Mac. Look at the Hardware, what you get and compare. This is just a two second glance.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999112300050013&type=product&id=pcmprd112400050013

I mean you get the WHOLE computer...Not just a CPU. ;)

Oh I know, Mac hardware is so superior. :silly:

As far as data plan pricing, your argument is of no value. This isn't something I made up:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9964059-1.html

I was on a golf trip last year. My buddy forgot his car charger for his iPhone. We stopped at a "super" gas station along the way which sold chargers. He bought an iPhone charger that they sold (it wasn't made by Apple). It said fully compatible. Yeah, well when he plugged it in his iPhone software kindly informed him it wasn't an Apple charger and would not charge his phone for him. Hahahahaha.

Same old Apple.

Your "WHOLE computer" is a POS with a cheap AMD single core processor.

Try comparing computers with the same processor. :doh: But my point still stands, your rediculous claim of paying $1000 more for a mac is pure BS

As for your friend... First off he forgot his car charger THAT WORKED so he bought a POS gadget from a gas station and it's Apples fault it didn't work? :hysterical:

And one last time for the slow learners... The iPhone data plan is $30 per month with 3G. The Blackberry "personal" data plan... $30.

:doh:

I think the point is, to use MacOS, you are required to have Mac hardware. As someone who likes to build exactly what I want in my computer, MacOS is a non-starter for me.

Pro's and cons... Apple control over hardware means things work really well together. Apple computers can still be upgraded with graphics cards, RAM, HD, and other PCI cards. (my Mac desktop is 8 years old, virtually the only thing original is the mother board and CD drive).

The downside is a shame, I would like to build my own sometimes but it doesnt really bother me as much as the lack of a mid range desktop for budget minded pro's who need a box they can upgrade.

Apple isn't perfect and all choices boil down to what things you can and cant live without and what better suits your needs.

PCs are fine if that's your thing. I just happen to think Microsoft's prices and restrictions are gouging consumers and businesses.

My main point isn't really to pump up Apple here (although I am forced to reply to false representations of them) as much as it is to point out that Windows 7 is really just Vista that has finally been fixed and Microsoft may be giving you a deal, but that deal is for on OS that really should be a free upgrade to Vista.

My main point isn't really to pump up Apple here (although I am forced to reply to false representations of them) as much as it is to point out that Windows 7 is really just Vista that has finally been fixed and Microsoft may be giving you a deal, but that deal is for on OS that really should be a free upgrade to Vista.

From my understanding, Vista in it's current state actually works fairly well. The customer I work for is about to migrate to Vista from XP on their desktops (Yes, you can wonder why they don't wait for Windows 7. We've asked the same questions.) and after doing a lot of testing it seems to behave fine with most applications.

I don't know if we can really sit down and say that Windows 7 is a "patched" Vista. I have a feeling it was rewritten in many key ways. and probably earns the new name. It sucks for those who went to Vista, but as with any new operating system version, most should know that upgrades should be viewed tentatively and people should look for gotchas.

I didn't upgrade to XP until after SP2. I never upgraded to Vista. I don't expect to upgrade to Windows 7 immediately, tho the fact that they've been betaing it for about a year now makes me think the curve might be more gentle here.

Your "WHOLE computer" is a POS with a cheap AMD single core processor.

Try comparing computers with the same processor. :doh: But my point still stands, your rediculous claim of paying $1000 more for a mac is pure BS

As for your friend... First off he forgot his car charger THAT WORKED so he bought a POS gadget from a gas station and it's Apples fault it didn't work? :hysterical:

No THE POINT was it wasn't a POS gadget that didn't work, it was a POS GADGET THAT WORKED, but APPLE programs into their unit to not allow anything but APPLE parts. So it wouldn't charge the Apple, not because the workability but because of Apples continued PROPRIETARY mentality.

What part of that do you not get? You really can't be that slow.

And one last time for the slow learners... The iPhone data plan is $30 per month with 3G. The Blackberry "personal" data plan... $30.

:doh:

My statement holds true. Apple dropped their hardware prices, and increased their usage price. It's no secret. It's in black and white for you to read in the other link.

Regardless.

The simplest fact is a Mac machine with similar specs is more expensive than a PC with the same specs. You can argue until you are blue in the face, but that's just the fact. My point was that you don't seem to comprehend is Mac makes their money on hardware sales. Windows makes their money on software sales. Windows doesn't sell proprietary machines and have the option to sell cheap OS's and make it back on overpriced hardware...which is what Apple does.

I only brought up the charger, as I was amused Apple even refuses to allow a second party charger to power their units, they build stuff into the OS to detect and reject any component not made by Apple....which btw if you understand their history, almost led to their demise.

Archived