Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

County Trying To Stop Home Bible Studies

Zguy28

It is possible that the story is not accurate. This could simply be a dispute about neighborhood parking that the minister is trying to characterize as an governmental effort to suppress religious freedom. Wouldn't be the first time people slanted their account of things to garner some sympathy.

Or not. Maybe it is perfectly accurate.

I'll wait and see. But like I said before, IF the story is accurate, then the official is going to get slapped down, as he should be.

It is possible that the story is not accurate. This could simply be a dispute about neighborhood parking that the minister is trying to characterize as an governmental effort to suppress religious freedom. Wouldn't be the first time people slanted their account of things to garner some sympathy.

Or not. Maybe it is perfectly accurate.

I'll wait and see. But like I said before, IF the story is accurate, then the official is going to get slapped down, as he should be.

Sure. That's what I'm saying. We have one side of the story right now, and frankly the story is really really embarassing if true. Doesn't MAKE it false, but I need more to be convinced.

Edit:

Let me put it this way, I need to hear more before I'm convinced that the dumbest person in all of America is a county official in San Diego.

freedoms, or privileges? This particular case happens to be about freedoms and stupid officials, however most the stories you read are about getting religion out of government rather than stifling private religious freedoms.

It's a pattern that evolves.

It starts out with removing religion from any public places, then soon it spreads into private religious freedoms. It doesn't all happen overnight.

Why it always gotta be the evil lawyer, Bang!!!! :(

What about the guy complaining?

I could easily ask you the same thing about the lawyers :evilg:

Well, this is what the court does. Decides if his complaint holds water. If the county did this, and if they sent this letter, then he will win as he rightfully should. The employee will be fired, the county rebuked, and the complainant will likely sue. The firm will use it to springboard their efforts to influence legislation.

The system works like it always does.

~Bang

It starts out with removing religion from any public places, then soon it spreads into private religious freedoms. It doesn't all happen overnight.

Curious. Are you worried about all religions or just one?

And I just don't see this big war against religion that some folks see. You can go to whatever church and pray to whoever -- the government isn't stopping anybody from doing anything.

I agree. Unfounded paranoia does not burst into flower overnight. Only by selectively reading half-true news stories and reading blogs that misrepresent legal decisions can we come to the full heights of unfounded paranoia that convinces us that Christianity is under attack across this fine nation. Keep up the good work, brother.

Curious. Are you worried about all religions or just one?

And I just don't see this big war against religion other see. You can go to whatever church and pray to whoever -- the government isn't stopping anybody from doing anything.

Exactly - and quite honestly most only seemed concerned about one particular religion. Post a story like this involving another religion and watch it either be a) ignored or B) attempt to be justified.

And it takes not much of a close look to see that the lawyer representing the case is part of a firm that doesn't do anything but advocate for religious causes.

Hey, Tulane was the one that was drawing the immediate conclusion that the case was BS, and I'm just saying that the story should "not be hard to believe", based on other previous events. I never said the story was completely without flaw - rather I said that it should not be just thrown out, either. Because it's entirely feasible that it could happen. That was my point.

I agree. Unfounded paranoia does not burst into flower overnight. Only by selectively reading half-true news stories and reading blogs that misrepresent legal decisions can we come to the full heights of unfounded paranoia that convinces us that Christianity is under attack across this fine nation. Keep up the good work, brother.

You mistake paranoia for fact.

Fixed. :)

If we're holding a party I always make sure to notify the neighbors and confirm that they won't have a problem with parking. The two houses on the street that hold bible study never bothered to do that with me.:evilg:

Do you hold regularly scheduled parties on a weekly basis?

I got no problem with my neighbor having, say, 100 people over to his house, if he's getting married. It's a one-time affair (hopefully), and I owe the guy the common courtesy of ignoring the noise and the hassle.

Once.

This would be just as newsworthy if it were any religious group. And because it has a religious backdrop it will kick up a lot of fuss. Though I suppose if it were a Super Bowl party everyone here would be upset. ;)

I got no problem with my neighbor having, say, 100 people over to his house, if he's getting married. It's a one-time affair (hopefully), and I owe the guy the common courtesy of ignoring the noise and the hassle.

Once.

Same here.

We ignored the regular inconvenience associated with the bible study group that used to meet on our street, but if one of them had damaged one of our cars, a call to the county may have been in order about the nuisance and parking problems they created.

If it was a business operating without a permit, damn sure the county would have been involved.

I live in a residential area, not a mixed residential/business district.

Attorney Dean Broyles of The Western Center For Law & Policy was shocked with what happened to the pastor and his wife.

Broyles said, "The county asked, 'Do you have a regular meeting in your home?' She said, 'Yes.' 'Do you say amen?' 'Yes.' 'Do you pray?' 'Yes.' 'Do you say praise the Lord?' 'Yes.'"

Broyles is speaking, this is not a direct quote from anyone but the lawyer. So he's to be immediately believed because... he's a lawyer?

The county employee notified the couple that the small bible study, with an average of 15 people attending, was in violation of county regulations, according to Broyles.

Broyles said a few days later the couple received a written warning that listed "unlawful use of land" and told them to "stop religious assembly or apply for a major use permit" -- a process that could cost tens of thousands of dollars.

OK, from what Bang is quoting, here, it looks like what's going on isn's about parking so much as about zoning.

Assuming the above are true, it looks like the county is telling them that their land is zoned residential, not "church" (or whatever zoning churches need).

If the defendant had been having weekly Amway meetings in his home, and the county objected, would the headline be "County Trying To Shut Down Small Businesses"?

Hey, Tulane was the one that was drawing the immediate conclusion that the case was BS, and I'm just saying that the story should "not be hard to believe", based on other previous events. I never said the story was completely without flaw - rather I said that it should not be just thrown out, either. Because it's entirely feasible that it could happen. That was my point.

I don't know what previous events you're talking about, though. If there was ever a case of the government making people stop practice religion in their homes, OK, but there isn't to my knowledge.

This would be feasible of there was precedent, or even a precedent of an attempt. But there's not.

~Bang

This would be just as newsworthy if it were any religious group. And because it has a religious backdrop it will kick up a lot of fuss. Though I suppose if it were a Super Bowl party everyone here would be upset. ;)

I thought of that analogy.

Although Super Bowls only happen once a year. But if it were a weekly meeting of the local chapter of Skins Fans, then is it illegal? If I chose to have 15-20 people (observing that the claim of 15 people came from the lawyer) over to my house, every Sunday for the entire season, so everybody can watch the Skins game on my Sunday Ticket and Big Screen, do I need a permit?

I don't know what previous events you're talking about, though. If there was ever a case of the government making people stop practice religion in their homes, OK, but there isn't to my knowledge.

This would be feasible of there was precedent, or even a precedent of an attempt. But there's not.

~Bang

But there is a lot of precedent of people claiming that they're being persecuted for their religion.

In most cases, it takes 2-3 days for The Rest of the Story to come out.

But, if you get your news from TheSkyIsFalling.com, then yeah, you could be firmly convinced that The Evil Commies are hauling people off to Gitmo for Possession of Bibles.

Archived