Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ah the Big 80's (Since Mickalino didn't ask)

88Comrade2000

Don't hold back STB. Tell us how you really feel.

Music in the 80's: Where your music didn't actually matter, you appearance did. And how much alcohol you could drink and how many chicks you got over shadowed your musical talent.

Music in the 80's: Where your music didn't actually matter, you appearance did. And how much alcohol you could drink and how many chicks you got over shadowed your musical talent.

It was truly a decade of decadence. (To quote Motley Crue.)

The music that had real substance was either british or british-influenced. Here's one of my faves..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTNpaaPHENE

You're so full of **** your eyes are brown.

There was plenty of good music, but, you have to look beyond the MTV shlock that you obviously associate everything with.

The fun of it is in the 80s we said **** like this to people who grew up in the 60s.

If you consider yourself a fan of music, and I think ou do, you'd pull your head out of this notion that all music died in 1974 and try to expand your horizons.

You're too young to be this ignorant. You're also too young to remember the Monkees and Bobby Sherman and the Partridge Family and the Archies and The 1910 Fruitgum Company and Cowsills and and all the other junk that dominated pop music in the era you idolize. Half of the British invasion was horrible, and that was the half that got the airplay. Herman's Hermits and Gerry and the Pacemakers. Not the Yardbirds, not Cream.

You seem to exist under this dreamy notion that the world was cool then, and all this great happening music was blowing up all around, and the fact was is the rock and roll you're thinking of was underground, not easily accessible. Radio did not play Jimi Hendrix, they played Tom Jones. They did not play Led Zeppelin, ever, they played The Beau Brummels.

In other words, to find the good stuff, you had to dig a little.

It wasn't all just handed to you sweetly packaged up in a classic rock format so you could eliminate the garbage pop crap and only hear the good stuff. In fact, it wasn't until at least 1976 or so that stations devoted to just rock and roll started to crop up. "Album Rock" they called it.

If you consider yourself a music fan, you should never close your ears off to anything because of a preconceived notion that it is represented by pop chart imagery. All you do is miss out. There is good music everywhere, from every era. Plenty of it.

~Bang

You're so full of **** your eyes are brown.

There was plenty of good music, but, you have to look beyond the MTV shlock that you obviously associate everything with.

The fun of it is in the 80s we said **** like this to people who grew up in the 60s.

If you consider yourself a fan of music, and I think ou do, you'd pull your head out of this notion that all music died in 1974 and try to expand your horizons.

You're too young to be this ignorant. You're also too young to remember the Monkees and Bobby Sherman and the Partridge Family and the Archies and The 1910 Fruitgum Company and Cowsills and and all the other junk that dominated pop music in the era you idolize. Half of the British invasion was horrible, and that was the half that got the airplay. Herman's Hermits and Gerry and the Pacemakers. Not the Yardbirds, not Cream.

You seem to exist under this dreamy notion that the world was cool then, and all this great happening music was blowing up all around, and the fact was is the rock and roll you're thinking of was underground, not easily accessible. Radio did not play Jimi Hendrix, they played Tom Jones. They did not play Led Zeppelin, ever, they played The Beau Brummels.

In other words, to find the good stuff, you had to dig a little.

It wasn't all just handed to you sweetly packaged up in a classic rock format so you could eliminate the garbage pop crap and only hear the good stuff. In fact, it wasn't until at least 1976 or so that stations devoted to just rock and roll started to crop up. "Album Rock" they called it.

If you consider yourself a music fan, you should never close your ears off to anything because of a preconceived notion that it is represented by pop chart imagery. All you do is miss out. There is good music everywhere, from every era. Plenty of it.

~Bang

Spare me the history lesson.

I like what I like, you like what you like. I didn't say there were still bands out there that still were very talented, of course there were. But my preference was that, that had came before it.

So, since there are so many underground bands out there from the 80s, please, enlighten me. And I'll tell you if I like them or not.

Give me 80's music over anything made today. Today's music is such crap compared to the 80's, where there were such classics as Larry Greene - Through the Fire

The list of good 80's tunes is very long, just to name a few off the top of my head

Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five - The Message

Joe B. Esposito - You're the Best (Around)

John Parr - Man in Motion

John Parr - Restless Heart - The Running Man

too lazy to think of any more, the point is there were a lot of great 80's tunes which in turn came from great 80's movies such as Top Gun, Karate Kid I, The Running Man and so on

Ok...here we go. Some of my faves:

Grandmaster Flash

The Stones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed36UQX8kXQ

One of the few AC/DC songs that I would listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM

Who couldn't like this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75qXUfp4wtw

Grace Jones...nuff said!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee6pg95EmIM&feature=related

George and the P-funk All Stars!

Boy George

And finally one of my all time faves (for personal reasons that I will not disclose..lol)

"no no no" Oh hellz yeah!

And anything on "Thriller". What an awesome album! Best LP ever! I remember gathering in the lounge at USN Corps School in Great Lakes in 1983 to watch the Thriller video. MTV was just starting out then and they scheduled Thriller to be shown at certain times during the day. The place was packed every time they showed. It played every hour I think. MJ made MTV imo.

Spare me the history lesson.

I like what I like, you like what you like. I didn't say there were still bands out there that still were very talented, of course there were. But my preference was that, that had came before it.

So what does "Music in the 80's: Where your music didn't actually matter, you appearance did. And how much alcohol you could drink and how many chicks you got over shadowed your musical talent." mean then?

It sounds like a pretty broad brush painting with strokes given to you by watching reruns of the tabloid stuff on VH1. Sounds pretty much like a blanket statement.

The history lesson was needed, based on that. That is true for EVERY era. The popular bands who leave the imagery you have are always about look and how much they can sell, not how good they actually are. There's pop crap from every era. Unless you take the time to discover what is different, then that is all you'll ever think.

So, since there are so many underground bands out there from the 80s, please, enlighten me. And I'll tell you if I like them or not.

Frankly, I don't have time to enlighten you, especially since YouTube took everything down except fuzzy concert footage from every band. There's been some good stuff posted in this thread, and there's been some junk too. If you'd like to get started try the Pretenders first two albums, some early Talking Heads, Agent Orange, Ramones, Killing Joke or X.

Here's the bottom line. You want to play it this way, fine by me, enjoy the outlook that MTV has bestowed upon you. The only one missing out as a result is you. As I said, there's good music in every era.

~Bang

So what does "Music in the 80's: Where your music didn't actually matter, you appearance did. And how much alcohol you could drink and how many chicks you got over shadowed your musical talent." mean then?

It sounds like a pretty broad brush painting with strokes given to you by watching reruns of the tabloid stuff on VH1. Sounds pretty much like a blanket statement.

The history lesson was needed, based on that. That is true for EVERY era. The popular bands who leave the imagery you have are always about look and how much they can sell, not how good they actually are. There's pop crap from every era. Unless you take the time to discover what is different, then that is all you'll ever think.

Frankly, I don't have time to enlighten you, especially since YouTube took everything down except fuzzy concert footage from every band. There's been some good stuff posted in this thread, and there's been some junk too. If you'd like to get started try the Pretenders first two albums, some early Talking Heads, Agent Orange, Ramones, Killing Joke or X.

Here's the bottom line. You want to play it this way, fine by me, enjoy the outlook that MTV has bestowed upon you. The only one missing out as a result is you. As I said, there's good music in every era.

~Bang

Nope, not doing anything for me. Just doesn't do it at all.

But it was wrong for me to let my opinion on music to throw out a biased statement like the one I did. And for that I apologize. To me there's just a significant drop off from decade to decade, and I still think late 60's early 70's reigned surpreme.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE some bands from the 80's: MAIDEN! Metallica, Ac/Dc, Van Halen, but just overall, no.

Back to your guys favorite stuff though, sorry to delay the thread.

I remember this one from my freshman college roomate:

Burning Sensations - Pablo Picasso

From Wikipedia:

"Pablo Picasso" is a song written by Jonathan Richman for his proto punk group The Modern Lovers.

The song was recorded in early 1972, at Whitney Studios in Los Angeles, with producer John Cale, but was not released until 1976, on the Modern Lovers' self-titled debut album. The recording featured Richman (lead guitar, vocals), Ernie Brooks (second guitar), Jerry Harrison (bass) and David Robinson (drums), with Cale playing the repetitive hammered piano part.[1]

The central character of the song is the charismatic 20th Century artist Pablo Picasso. The phrase "Pablo Picasso was never called an *******" is repeated throughout the song.

Bowie did a kickass cover of this on his last album Reality in 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p5YEJepisE&feature=related

and here's a young Iggy Pop performance of it.

You must not play a musical instrument. Some of the guitar music from the 80's is very difficult to play.

While some like to poke fun at bands like Winger, their music was very well written and Kip Winger was musically schooled at Juilliard. His guitar player studied at Juilliard too I believe.

Damn. Loving some of this stuff. Laid Back with White Horse,(story or two behind that one),Donnie Iris,The Firm,(very cool),GrandMaster Flash,Mama by Genesis,(pyscho song...used in a very good episode of Magnum). Sigh. Had a lot of fun back then.

Okay. Spaced out early 80's music.

Midnight Starr

I was in my early 20's and living outside Miami for some of the 80's. Perfect spot for getting in to the club scene back then. :)

The Gap Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5lIYpV8b54

Chaka Kahn - I feel for You

http://www.mtv.com/videos/chaka-khan/33437/i-feel-for-you.jhtml#id=1535833

I believe the young man poppin there was named Turbo.

Slowin' it down.

SOS Band - Just be Good to Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cajy5WSDd0

Archived