Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell Is Our Starting QB, So Let's Be Optimistic About It...

I think we all live a bit too far in the video game age. I mean seriously people, is it necessary for your QB to throw for 100 TDs/season for him to be considered great?? Through 8 games, professional fball minds thought Campbell was in the running for league MVP? Isn't that all that matters?? So tell me this, how can a guy go from possible league MVP to hated by 40% of his fan base?? I think if more of you guys looked at the team as a whole, you'd realize that more blame lies on the shoulders of our coaching staff and offensive line for weeks 9-17.

I think we all live a bit too far in the video game age. I mean seriously people, is it necessary for your QB to throw for 100 TDs/season for him to be considered great?? Through 8 games, professional fball minds thought Campbell was in the running for league MVP? Isn't that all that matters?? So tell me this, how can a guy go from possible league MVP to hated by 40% of his fan base?? I think if more of you guys looked at the team as a whole, you'd realize that more blame lies on the shoulders of our coaching staff and offensive line for weeks 9-17.

People are envious of what other teams' QB's are doing. We don't have the type of offense that Brees, Manning, and Brady have. I believe that if Campbell threw 30 td's, these same fans would still dislike him, or either prove not to be man enough to admit their wrongs.

Name me a "great" QB that hasn't thrown over 20 TDs at some point in his career. He wasn't in the running for MVP so quit being clueless. Hey guys, I had 8 good games so include me in the MVP running, but ignore the fact I'm about to tank the rest of the season. Ok?

How about it was Clinton Portis that was the MVP during that time. Notice once his production went down, Campbell's plummeted faster than Fannie Mae stock.

(fixed wording not to confuse people)

Name me a "great" QB that hasn't thrown over 20 TDs in a given year. He wasn't in the running for MVP so quit being clueless. Hey guys, I had 8 good games so include me in the MVP running, but ignore the fact I'm about to tank the rest of the season. Ok?

How about it was Clinton Portis that was the MVP during that time. Notice once his production went down, Campbell's plummeted faster than Fannie Mae stock.

Joe Montana, Troy Aikman. Just off the top of my head.

No, it's because you all only see the bad in everything because our franchise hasn't done anything these past eighteen years save for 99, 05, and 07. It's very easy to ignore the good when you're just expecting heartbreak.

No matter how well a player or coach performs on this team, only his failures will be remembered unless, literally, he dies.

Campbell, Rogers, Portis, Moss, Landry, Zorn, hell, even Gibbs and Taylor. They are defined on this board only by their failures while their successes are the clear exception. Never mind that Zorn went 8-8 this year, meaning that he's a wash in this hypothetical vacuum, he's still an idiot. Never mind that Campbell had a 100+ passer rating for five weeks and a 90+ for even more, he is still the worst thing to squat behind center since Ryan Leaf.

Redskins fans are gluttons for depression and we can't stand any light because we're so used to being in the dark.

Well that's a fascinating theory but it's not me.

1) I think Zorn has the potential to be a really great coach. As a former all pro QB who did his share of trowing the football around I cant help but wonder about the IQ of someone who would suggest he would hold an offense or QB back. This is someone who I can guarantee wants to light up a scoreboard. First it was Gibbs being conservative, then Saunders. Yet when Jason went down his backup started lighting it up and spreading the ball around. Now it's all Zorn's fault, it's funny that you bring him up though because the real problem with Zorn is.....

2) Campbell. He's the one constant through three stagnant offenses. I had high hopes for the kid, I really did. But he has issues on the field. He has problems seeing blitzes that should be obvious to any QB in any system. He has problems reading coverage so he is slow in deciding where to throw.

As an example; on a hitch and go to Moss, he should have seen the coverage at the snap when the safetys moved, picked his target and thrown the ball in front of Moss the moment he made his hitch. Moss left his man by 5 yards and had the ball been thrown on time, it would have been a TD. By the time he DID throw the ball, the CB had caught up and was all over Moss who caught the ball on pure skill but was tackled on the spot. That was one of his GOOD plays. I think we got a FG out of that drive.

Do I really have to point out all of the bad plays? Balls thrown into the dirt - just like the ones we used to joke McNabb about. Downfield accuracy problems. Freezing up like a deer in headlights under pressure, like the TWO times he took sacks for losses while running to the sideline when he could have, and should have, thrown the ball into the stands. After how many years as a pro? I don't care if we changed systems twice a year. If you are being chased out of the pocket with no one open THROW THE BALL AWAY. It's not freekin rocket science. It's not the stats. It's the basics of how he plays that concern me.

That's why I'm disappointed. I like the guy. He has been a class act. I really thought he was going to be our franchise QB. Now I think I was wrong.

Hey Im with you man. I want him to lock down the QB position. But I think Jaws defends Campbell because when things we clicking, the only thing that wasnt working was RZ offense (even when we were struggling offensively we had the chances to win if we turn RZ attempts into RZ scores).

Considering how so many of the more highly respected QBs in the league get their TDs in the RZ by throwing I look to our offense.

Campbell is allowed to throw 63 times, 11 TDs, 1 INT

Lets take a look at some other QBs who get their money in the RZ

Eli threw 87 times in th RZ and got 17 TDs and 2 INTs

McNabb threw 83 times in the RZ for 18TDs and 3 INTs

Brees threw 92 times in the RZ, 22 TDs, 3 INTs sensational

Every single one of these QBs scored more in the RZ. Every single one of them was allowed to throw more in the RZ. Now of course, you cant become one dimensional at any time but if you arent letting him use his arm, you cant expect him to score you any points.

If we suck in the RZ, and you dont let him throw in the RZ, isnt it wrong to not let him throw in the RZ? What can he do with 20-25 more throws down there? Not more attempts, just letting him throw once we are in there.

So again, I say. Let this man throw.

What you didn't point out is the amount of times each QB led his team into the RZ. If Brees gets into the RZ 13 more times during the season than JC, of course his RZ passing numbers are going to be higher. Blaming the play calling when its JC's inability to get us into the RZ as often as other QB's is irresponsible and misleading.

SO wait, they never threw for 20 TDs in a season their entire career? Wow, you must know some secrets stats that I don't know about.

"In a given year" means "In any one year during their careers". So what you asked was for a great QB who has not thrown for over 20 TDs in any one year of their careers. Basically, you used the wrong wording. What you should have said was "show me a QB who has never thrown for more than 20 TDs during any year of their careers".

Now, to equate what you're asking for to Jason Campbell, it would be more accurate to say "show me a great QB who has thrown for no more than 35 TDs in their first 36 starts"...mainly because JC, like many QBs great and not-so-great, has only had one season so far where he's played and started all 16 games.

BTW, you want to talk about Troy Aikman, check out his stats from his first 3 seasons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm

Downright AWFUL.

Then he comes back in 92 and he's suddenly pretty good. How many seasons has JC played? The end of 06, the first 12 games of 07, and the full season last year. How about we give him one more season before we jump the gun here, k?

"In a given year" means "In any one year during their careers". So what you asked was for a great QB who has not thrown for over 20 TDs in any one year of their careers. Basically, you used the wrong wording. What you should have said was "show me a QB who has never thrown for more than 20 TDs during any year of their careers".

Now, to equate what you're asking for to Jason Campbell, it would be more accurate to say "show me a great QB who has thrown for no more than 35 TDs in their first 36 starts"...mainly because JC, like many QBs great and not-so-great, has only had one season so far where he's played and started all 16 games.

Read all the posts before making a comment please. If you notice, the wording was edited and I STATED IT ALREADY for the reading impaired. Thanks in advance.

BTW, you want to talk about Troy Aikman, check out his stats from his first 3 seasons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm

Downright AWFUL.

Then he comes back in 92 and he's suddenly pretty good. How many seasons has JC played? The end of 06, the first 12 games of 07, and the full season last year. How about we give him one more season before we jump the gun here, k?

You are actually going to compare those awful Cowboy teams to the ones that Jason has played on? Dallas drafted #1 two out of the three years from 89-91. Jason wouldn't even have the numbers he does had he played on those horrible Cowboy teams.

The teams that JC has been on have been playoff worthy and he should have done something with what he has been given him. He has not.

Read all the posts before making a comment please. If you notice, the wording was edited and I STATED IT ALREADY for the reading impaired. Thanks in advance.

In case you weren't following along very closely, I quoted your post and responded to it already. Notice that when I did, I quoted your post before you made the edit. Which means I read it before you made the edit. So it really wouldn't make any since whatsoever for me to go back and re-read what you wrote, would it?

Interesting how you seem to blame everyone else for your poorly worded post but yourself. But, I guess that's to be expected.

What you didn't point out is the amount of times each QB led his team into the RZ. If Brees gets into the RZ 13 more times during the season than JC, of course his RZ passing numbers are going to be higher. Blaming the play calling when its JC's inability to get us into the RZ as often as other QB's is irresponsible and misleading.

Youd be right, but when youre talking about alot of the better RZ offenses, they dont have a whole lot more RZ attempts than we do.

Here are the top RZ offenses and their attempts:

1. Indy - 50
  2. Car - 49
  3. Ten - 45
  4. NO - 62
  5. Det - 31
  6. GB - 48
  7. MIA - 45
  8. Dallas - 44
  9. AZ - 65
  10. KC - 45

24. Washington - 48

So, I see alot of teams with just about the same number of RZ attempts but they are all way more efficient. Yeah you got AZ and NO with 60+ attempts, but Im not sure I would welcome more inefficiency. So whats the best way to get more points? Efficiency? What remained unchanged throughout the season? Jason Campbell was money in the RZ. Trying to force a Run/pass balance in the RZ made the offense drop from 54% to 45%.

By the way, if we had stayed at 54% we would have been about the 15 best RZ team by efficiency.

You are actually going to compare those awful Cowboy teams to the ones that Jason has played on? Dallas drafted #1 two out of the three years from 89-91. Jason wouldn't even have the numbers he does had he played on those horrible Cowboy teams.

The teams that JC has been on have been playoff worthy and he should have done something with what he has been given him. He has not.

Hahahaha! You crack me up.

So, just following your lead: It's NOT the quarterback's fault if a team fails.

You heard it right here! Jason wouldn't have the numbers that he does if he played on a much worse team, so he'd have much better numbers on a much better team.

Thanks for telling us what we already know.

Archived