Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell Is Our Starting QB, So Let's Be Optimistic About It...

I think any sensible person would agree that he played really well in the first half of last season. He looked like he was making great strides.

Obviously, Campbell's protection needs to improve to give him a chance. He can't do everything himself in terms of avoiding the rush, and I don't think his mobility is the issue at all. Our offense is not multi-faceted enough to consistently beat defenses once they key in on what we are doing. When they take away Moss, stack the box and blitz Campbell, we've got almost no where else to go. Unless we plan on running an offense entirely of 3-5 yard slants, screens, and curls, the wide receivers are going to need more than 2 or 3 seconds to run their routes. Campbell can only throw it into the coverage, throw it away, or take a sack if defenders get to him before his targets make their breaks.

Our big plays come from Moss, when he gets taken out of games, we struggle to move the ball period. Randle-el doesn't seem to consistently get separation from his defenders, and obviously the 2nd rounders were pretty non-existent last season. It would be a god-send to Campbell and our red-zone offense if one or more of them became a target when defenses scheme to take away Moss.

It's not all on the protection though because we still lost the debacle to Cincinnati. I'm not an expert, but what I remember from the season was that Campbell's play steadily declined to the point where, by that game, he looked shell-shocked. He was skittish and frightened in the pocket, and the worst of all, he became inaccurate.

The systemic complaints about the speed of his release and decision making are mostly crap that has become taken for fact around here because its been repeated so much by his detractors. I think his problems stemmed from a decline in confidence which forced him to hurry his play and get sloppy with his mechanics. He would rush throws and his accuracy and timing suffered greatly.

He needs to go back to being the patient, confident, well-schooled quarterback he was in the first half of the season. I think he can do that the further he gets from the second half of last season. Next year is a blank slate. His protection should be slightly better this year, and he and the receivers should be able to make their reads more quickly from increased familiarity if nothing else. And in all likelihood he'll have shorter fields to work with as our Defense and Special Teams improve. All that will be left is for the tall pass catchers to establish themselves as consistent red-zone threats.

A season is a marathon, and we need him (and guys like Carlos Rogers) to learn how to put together a consistent 16+ game season.

P.S., how about that td to Moss in the Lion's game? Moss looks like a tremendous player in the slot, god I hope Kelly and Thomas develop so we can play him there more often.

Not so fast, Cali.

Do you really think Jason is a lock to be the starter after this off-season?

I think if Colt outshines him in pre-season AGAIN, then the team has to give him a shot.

You can be optimistic if you want, but I'm not there yet.

Not so fast, Cali.

I think if Colt outshines him in pre-season AGAIN, then the team has to give him a shot.

Zorn has stated that he's still not sold on Colt being ready to start...The only way he (or anyone else) would start above Campbell is if it's announced that there's an open competition, and so far that's not been said anywhere.

With our defense, he might be enough. If he plays exactly like he did last year, I think we can win 10 games. Even slight improvement and we can win more than that. On the flip side, if he isn't getting it done, he needs to get pulled. He needs to play like he did at Dallas last year and not the way he played at Cincy.

Make Santana the full time punt returner and replace Rock on kickoffs. Zorn also needs to game plan better to mix it up a bit. Can't do the same thing very week and expect success.

I agree with you and I'll do you one better. These are my optimistic predictions:

1.) This year was a solid draft class that will see meaningful contribution from both Orakpo and Barnes and perhaps one of the linebackers. This year's FA class will be stellar, and our defense is now left with absolutely no holes, even in consideration of depth. We will field the #1 or #2 overall defense.

2.) We will find a consistent kicker and punter that can reliably get us points when we approach an opponents 30 and force opposing offenses to start around their own 20.

3.) At least one of last season's second rounders will emerge as a consistent target, especially in the red zone.

4.) Our overall schedule will prove significantly easier than last year's.

5.) We'll find a way to meaningfully spell Portis in order to keep him fresh for the late season stretch.

Obviously all 5 of those predictions are speculatory and unsupportable. But they don't seem all that wild based on what we've got. Did anyone predict that the Titans would be able to make the leap that they did after essentially being in the same boat as us as recently as 2005? How about the Cardinals???

And because I believe they are all going to come true, I think we will win 12 or 13 games next year with Campbell and this subpar offensive line and we are finally going to win the division, and make a run in the playoffs.

Sometimes you just get a feeling. This season my school won the FCS national championship, and that was the first time in my life that I can actively remember a team of mine winning a championship. The ball of sports fate is rolling now, and the Redskins are going to win the superbowl this season or next and cap off the greatest sports period of my life.

It's going to happen so believe fellas. It's the best part of being a fan.

(And if it doesn't then Richmond will win another one next year and then I'll have the same outlook about the Redskins next offseason.)

Not so fast, Cali.

So that explains why we went after cutler, drafted another QB and after a good pre-season(playing arena football players) he is still hanging on to his NFL life... After all that you have a good point. Jason is our starter get over it!

I'm hopeful but NOT optimisitc. We've seen enough of JC to understand that he is not the answer. His decision making and release are simply TOO SLOW.

I'm not convinced he will be the starter throughout 2009. Zorn wants to win, too. We have other options.

Brennan won't be able to outshine Campbell because Campbell will probably play for at least the entire 1st quarter in every PS game, so there won't be any comparing apples to apples. Just more of the same e.g. Brennan played against scrubs, so what!

First half the season

26 RZ attempts

6 Passing TDs on 30 pass attempts

7 rushing TDs on 31 attempts

1 gagdet TD

2nd half the season

22 RZ attempts

5 passing TDs on 33 passing attempts

4 rushing TDs again, 28 attempts (if my math is right)

1 Scramble TD

I did a semi-quick rundown of RZ performance broken down by the halves of the season.

Beyond the quick glance observation I have to point out that Campbell's play in the RZ doesnt seem to drop from one half to the other. The Run game seems to really suffer down the stretch. That might synch with the idea that we lost Samuels, Kendall wasnt able to practice during the week cause of his knees, Jansen wore down and sprained his knee, and Thomas played with a career threatening injury.

But really it comes down to this 1st half we scored TDs on 54% of our attempts in the RZ. Not great but its better than the 45% we had in the 2nd half. I just dont see why you wouldnt put the ball in Campbell's hands in between the 20s the majority of the time especially when the run game is struggling to get off.

Like I said, let this man throw

maybe they dont want him throwing because its not a good idea? dont you think if he was good in the redzone zorn would dial up more passing plays? think about that for a sec.

either zorn is a moron and a horrid playcaller, or theres no confidence in campbell inside the 20s.

Brennan won't be able to outshine Campbell because Campbell will probably play for at least the entire 1st quarter in every PS game, so there won't be any comparing apples to apples. Just more of the same e.g. Brennan played against scrubs, so what!

brennan probably wont get reps with the first team, but just watching his PS last year was so exciting. the dude has accuracy thats just not teachable. all this talk about his arm strength, the dude was heaving it all over the field in PS so i have no idea where this arm strength thing comes from. maybe he cant throw 80s yards down field, but who cares about stupid crap like that. thats stuff al davis cares about lol.

but im assuming if were sitting at like 3-5, campbell is getting yanked.

Zorn has stated that he's still not sold on Colt being ready to start...The only way he (or anyone else) would start above Campbell is if it's announced that there's an open competition, and so far that's not been said anywhere.

Of course it won't be said anywhere, I'm just thinking the organization is obviously looking for a reason to get him outta there. Zorn was given his orders LAST year to start Jason and he obliged give the situation with Gibbs leaving and the team wanting continuity.

If Zorn was smitten with Jason as the QB moving forward they wouldn't have tried to get Cutler or Sanchez. I know some people think that was Snyder running the show on that, but I'm fairly certain Snyder consults with the coach to find out player grades from the year before and where the team could hopefully improve heading into the off-season.

I'm not trying to sink your ship here, I will be cheering for Campbell on Sunday and hopefully less yelling of "Get rid of the dang ball". Probably more yelling, but I could be wrong;).

maybe they dont want him throwing because its not a good idea? dont you think if he was good in the redzone zorn would dial up more passing plays? think about that for a sec.

either zorn is a moron and a horrid playcaller, or theres no confidence in campbell inside the 20s.

I think it has more to do with the size and skill-set of our wide receivers than a lack of confidence in Campbell. I know Moss can jump, but his brilliance as a receiver is in his ability to get open in space and adjust to any sort of mid to long throw. He can't do that when he's ten yards from the goal line. I don't really know what Randle-el is good at, but it certainly isn't shielding defenders from the ball with his body and muscling off safeties and corners. Same with Cooley, he is big and strong, but his forte is his craftiness and that gets him into open space where he makes catches and fights for yards. There just isn't enough room in the red zone for him to work his magic.

We need Kelly or Thomas to be able to fight for the contested balls in the middle of a ton of traffic--and to use their size and leaping ability to wall defenders off from the ball. It doesn't look like we don't have anyone else on the roster who can do that.

You can only play against who they put you up against;).

brennan probably wont get reps with the first team, but just watching his PS last year was so exciting. the dude has accuracy thats just not teachable. all this talk about his arm strength, the dude was heaving it all over the field in PS so i have no idea where this arm strength thing comes from. maybe he cant throw 80s yards down field, but who cares about stupid crap like that. thats stuff al davis cares about lol. but im assuming if were sitting at like 3-5, campbell is getting yanked.

Apparently a lot of people still think (perhaps by their choice) that Brennan is still the 185-190 lb skinny guy the pundits slammed prior to the draft. I saw a recent picture of him and at least to my eyes, during the past year, he must have been in the 'Skins weight room as he's noticeably bulkier. I'd guess a solid 215-220 lbs. His ball velocity was good last season, but its probably even better now.

And lastly, in regard to his height, its odd how so many people refer to him as short yet last time I checked, he's a tad taller than both the #1 and #5 QBs taken in this years draft.

The only optimistic thing is that we are going to trade major draft picks to move up and get a real franchise QB in Bradford next year.

Jason is a dead man walking. Classy, but JC does so much right at QB--except the one thing that counts--throwing TD passes.

thanks Califan007 for the obvious research and thought that you put into this post.

man it seems like only yesterday that the Redskins were 6-2 and destined for a first round bye week.

oh well maybe this year?

It it seems like only yesterday afteronon that every defense in the second half of the season figured out his weaknesses and exploited them.

Oh Lord.:doh: For the life of me, I can not understand how somepeople can think JC even....................**** it, I can't bear it anymore. If you can't see JC sucks by now, you never will.

LOL i was wondering when you were gonna post. Flat out hater, you are. I bet you're one of the guys who'll be rooting AGAINST Campbell opening weekend,

LOL i was wondering when you were gonna post. Flat out hater, you are. I bet you're one of the guys who'll be rooting AGAINST Campbell opening weekend,

I don't hate the guy. I wish him all the luck in the world. :secret: It's gonna have to be luck, cause skill aint been gettin' it done.:D

:thumbsup: I agree. I don't know why people can't remember how he was doing halfway through the season.

"They" = Cult of Colt, otherwise known as the Hate Squad!

If people remember correctly, the offensive line is what came tumbling down around Week 9. :2cents:

Archived