Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell Is Our Starting QB, So Let's Be Optimistic About It...

I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd make a new thread as well...

Campbell is going to be our starter. That's it. No Cutler. No Sanchez. It's JC. So instead of arguing over how terrible he will "no doubt" be this year, why not look back at how good everyone was saying he was midway through last season?...We might as well look at the positives of seeing JC behind center for a second year under Zorn, right?

Maybe, just maybe, he can improve and we'll be hearing these types of comments at the end of January instead of just at the end of October. :cheers:

Steve Mariucci breaks down Redskins QB Jason Campbell's play vs. the Lions. (video..well worth watching :thumbsup:)

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bf8238

"This guy is making strides...it's not just the interceptions, but he's getting good getting rid of the ball, in the huddle, audibles, playing the game...good job, Jason."

Anatomy of a play: Jason Campbell (video...another well worth watching :thumbsup: )

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c14d69

"This is quarterbacking at its highest level in the National Football League..."

Replay of win against Dallas (12 minute video)

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b47d2e

Jaworski says Jason Campbell is the NFL MVP

Midseason Award Winners

"Most improved: Jason Campbell, QB, Redskins. He has finally settled down and shown the Redskins why they invested a first-round pick in him. He still needs to throw a few more touchdowns (only has 8), but zero interceptions is huge."

Mid-Season NFL MVP

"your mid-season MVP is easily unidentifiable. One could argue for Brian Westbrook or Jason Campbell. Kerry Collins or Eli Manning."

Campbell surprising the critics

"Former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher considers Campbell a leading candidate for mid-season league MVP.

"Jason Campbell has played as well as anybody has in the NFL at his position," Cowher, now a CBS analyst, says. "He's thrown for good numbers. He's got no turnovers. He's big, strong and able to move out of the pocket and make throws down the field.

"He's brought his team back when they've been down. I've been very impressed with Jason Campbell's play.""

Campbell's play overshadowing Portis

"Portis is on a pace to rush for nearly 2,000 yards. Somehow, in all the hoopla over Jason Campbell -- he's been outstanding, so he does deserve it --"

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=479356&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=22&sid=6c96a8f10de9d5df48d932f5aa459d8c

Can The Redskins Keep This Up? (WT)

Jason Campbell

The only starting quarterback in the NFL without an interception this season, Campbell entered Week 9 tied for fifth in the NFL with a 100.5 passer rating.

Lombardi: "Go back to when Donovan McNabb first started with [Eagles coach] Andy Reid, and Andy tried to run the West Coast offense. It wasn't what it was supposed to be, so Andy developed his own West Coast for Donovan and that's what Jim has done with Jason."

Billick: "His improvement is across the board. I can't tell you how impressed I am by his development - and it's both Jim and Jason. Jason has turned himself over to Jim and the things initially focused on - quickening his pace, quickening his agility in the pocket - you can clearly see. When I saw he had no interceptions, I expected to watch the film and see a guy that was not taking chances with the ball, taking more sacks, throwing for a low completion percentage and not making a lot of big plays. But that's not the case at all. He's been the complete package."

Baldinger: "The more important area of improvement is how decisive he is with the ball. He knows exactly where he wants to go. He's been incredibly consistent and accurate since the second half against New Orleans. He's been throwing pinpoint passes; it's not that teams are falling down. And because of the receivers they have, he has to be more accurate because he's throwing to [5-foot-10 receivers] Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El. It's not like he's throwing to [6-5] Plaxico Burress, who gives you great margin for error because he has height and you can throw it to a local area and he can go get it."

Jaworski: "The most improved quarterback in the league. There usually is a long learning curve. He's arrived as an NFL quarterback. I liked him last year and I liked the things I saw in his game. But he's really elevated his game - decision-making, throwing the football, the mechanics."

No matter who is QBing my Skins, that is who I will root for. I like Jason and he is easy to root for. I will be pulling for him. He is getting better...just let him have some time with the system.

If Terry Bradshaw and Steve Young were drafted in today's NFL, they'd be considered busts.

I'd be optimistic if the good/bad order was switched. If JC was bad in the 1st half, but got really good in the 2nd half of the season after he spent more time in the offense. But because it wasn't I have exactly zero optimism for him and his play.

Progression good. Regression bad.

I'm hopeful he'll get better.

I'm also hopeful I'll win the lottery.

Why would I focus on the beginning part of the year? If he was getting better as he learned the system, then one would expect him to have had a better 2nd half of the season not the 1st half.

Instead, his first half success looks like it was much more due to teams not "having tape" on Zorn's system and not knowing how to defend him. Once teams figured it out and figured out how to attack JC, it was all downhill.

I'd be more optimistic if he got better as the year went on; that would suggest an optimistic trajectory.

Instead, he looked worse as the year wore on and he started looking like he looked in his 2nd year. No improvement at all.

Look, its clear the team has no faith him. Tried to trade him, tried to trade for two replacements, sniffed around Leftwich, refused to extend JC.

If the team has no faith that he will turn it around, why should I?

I'm hopeful the guy turns into the greatest QB ever. But I'm not about to get my expectations up because I'm virtually certain he will be pedestrian again this year. If he had any promise, the team would not have done what they did and other teams would have been jumping all over JC, and they were weren't.

His first 8 games were simply amazing. Everything we could want from him, the team collapsed in the 2nd half, not him. If he can play like that 8 times, he can play like that 16 times. Clinton stopped running up yardage for a reason. This team lost its game, Campbell included. It was a big learning step, it's not time to get rid of Campbell. 2009 here we come!

Protect this man and let him throw

I'm all for kind of putting the impasse behind us as a board if we can agree that we reserve the right to return to our opinions based on preseason developments (Jason typically performs well in training camp sessions or did the last couple of offseasons.)

Obviously, I don't believe Jason is that guy but just like last year, I will be excited when he does well. I'd note, however, that even jaws said he had to throw more TDs. And I don't know how Jaws defends someone so strongly who still has problems throwing to guys in stride or at the right moment.

But let's hope that this offseason of personal disappointment and almost being replaced (likely to a crappy team) is able to spark a fire of improvement in Jason and he turns the corner. He doesn't have to be Tom Brady (though that would be nice, it's not happening) but it would be good if he could even be a top 9 QB. I think we can win with a player who is 9th best in the league at the QB position.

We will see but for now, he's our guy. :cool2:

Archived