Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell Is Our Starting QB, So Let's Be Optimistic About It...

Not a Campbell "hater", but consider two things: One, the highlights are against bottom feeder teams (Lions and Saints) not the Steelers or the Ravens.

The thing is, though, most of Cutler's highlights would be against "bottom feeder" teams as well. But it's what Cutler shows while playing those lower ranked defenses that has everyone loving the guy. And let's face it, the Steelers and Ravens defenses make a LOT of QBs look less than stellar lol...And Jason still looked good against the Eagles and Cowboys, not exactly slouches on defense.

What I think the commentary that the ex-players and ex-coaches are talking about, are things that go beyond merely throwing a TD. They're recognizing and acknowledging that Campbell was showing growth in how he approached the QB position and how he understood it...calling out blitzes and adjusting accordingly, recognizing blitzes and buying time with pocket awareness...more confidence and accuracy in his throwing...keeping his eyes downfield while in pressure...composure, etc, etc...These are areas JC definitely improved in last year.

The reasons for his "regression" towards the end of the season has been debated to death around here. I thought it was a good idea to remind people of what JC is indeed capable of, and where he did indeed improve. Like I said, he's our starter, and there really is reason for optimism instead of the constant "We're doomed with JC as our quarterback" talk.

The thing is, though, most of Cutler's highlights would be against "bottom feeder" teams as well. But it's what Cutler shows while playing those lower ranked defenses that has everyone loving the guy. And let's face it, the Steelers and Ravens defenses make a LOT of QBs look less than stellar lol...And Jason still looked good against the Eagles and Cowboys, not exactly slouches on defense.

What I think the commentary that the ex-players and ex-coaches are talking about, are things that go beyond merely throwing a TD. They're recognizing and acknowledging that Campbell was showing growth in how he approached the QB position and how he understood it...calling out blitzes and adjusting accordingly, recognizing blitzes and buying time with pocket awareness...more confidence and accuracy in his throwing...keeping his eyes downfield while in pressure...composure, etc, etc...These are areas JC definitely improved in last year.

The reasons for his "regression" towards the end of the season has been debated to death around here. I thought it was a good idea to remind people of what JC is indeed capable of, and where he did indeed improve. Like I said, he's our starter, and there really is reason for optimism instead of the constant "We're doomed with JC as our quarterback" talk.

agree... i mean we're still 5 months away from the season..minds well envision Zorn hoisting the Lombardi..

IF Jason Campbell can improve just a little more......the Skins will WALK into the playoffs, and they will be a formidable team. The chatter of fans blaming the O-line all the time and blaming the schemes Zorn runs need to stop.....really decent QBs find a way to win even when they don't have all day to throw. During the game....in the heat of battle.....I'll cheer for Campbell big-time. All this being said, I want a QB change and I want a QB controversy if after the first 3 or 4 games his play is sub-par. BOOM!!!!

Interesting stat. I do think we've been prone to running a lot down there and I know they may have gotten gun-shy after the picks in the TB and Dallas games in 07 but you can't limit yourself because it kills the team.

That said, I think Campbell is going to need to work on timing. If he's going to overcome that bad release, he's going to need to get things out in a hurry and work on speeding up his process EVEN MORE than he may have felt he did before.

You can win with QBs who don't read defenses well consistently. You can't win if they can't get the ball in there at the right time.

Yep. JC is our QB and 8-8 might be our record if we pray faithfully everyday. This guy can't throw downfield. He can't make decisions and he's no deep threat.

So yeah, let's have optimism for no reason. Whoopee! Blind optimism is what keeps clowns like JC employed.

He'll be on the bench by week 8. Never to start again. Luckily, this clowns contract is up next year. Only 8 to 16 games left with this guy.

Main concern is what happens if Jason struggles versus the Giants??? What happens if he loses 2 games in a row or if he struggles for more then a few quarters? Now that ownership and the FO isn't behind him either, any losing streak or loss for that matter will be met with questions surrounding Jason's job security. For all sides it would be best to move on.

I'm hopeful he'll get better.

I'm also hopeful I'll win the lottery.

Why would I focus on the beginning part of the year? If he was getting better as he learned the system, then one would expect him to have had a better 2nd half of the season not the 1st half.

Instead, his first half success looks like it was much more due to teams not "having tape" on Zorn's system and not knowing how to defend him. Once teams figured it out and figured out how to attack JC, it was all downhill.

I'd be more optimistic if he got better as the year went on; that would suggest an optimistic trajectory.

Instead, he looked worse as the year wore on and he started looking like he looked in his 2nd year. No improvement at all.

Look, its clear the team has no faith him. Tried to trade him, tried to trade for two replacements, sniffed around Leftwich, refused to extend JC.

If the team has no faith that he will turn it around, why should I?

I'm hopeful the guy turns into the greatest QB ever. But I'm not about to get my expectations up because I'm virtually certain he will be pedestrian again this year. If he had any promise, the team would not have done what they did and other teams would have been jumping all over JC, and they were weren't.

Califan: you requested a response, and I provided one, and you just ignored it. If you are going to call out everyone who isn't gung-ho about JC, at least address our points.

I have said it several times on this site, but I will say it again. At the end of the year last year Jason Campbell was an above average NFL QB. He wasnt getting help from his recievers, his blockers, and at the end his running game. It really did seem that he was under pressure every time he dropped back to throw the ball, and he did amazingly well in those circumstances.

In the videos we can clearly see what Campbell does well (avoid pressure, strong arm, pocket technique) and what he needs to improve on (progressing through reads, releasing quicker).

as for anyone that says he doesn't have "it", no QB in this town has has "it" since Sonny Jurgenson. So he will probably never be a hall of famer, he is still an NFL ready QB with tremendous physical ability.

I will take Campbell any day.

thanks Califan007 for the obvious research and thought that you put into this post.

man it seems like only yesterday that the Redskins were 6-2 and destined for a first round bye week.

oh well maybe this year?

Annonymous Source? So its been you this whole time...

Califan: you requested a response, and I provided one, and you just ignored it. If you are going to call out everyone who isn't gung-ho about JC, at least address our points.

I requested a response?...lol

What I did request, if anything, is for us--all of us--to start getting behind our starting QB, and attempt a bit of optimism at how me may perform this season instead of constantly trying to convince each other to throw in the towel. I provided some reminders of the type of QB Campbell was and could be again this season, if not better. Your response was to basically say how futile optimism would be.

Yeah, ok, didn't respond to your post, did I?...Just decided to not turn this thread into the one millionth "JC sucks!/No he doesn't!" thread...I was hoping that we'd get enough ES members who are willing to invest some optimism into Campbell's play this season to start posting, and to be invigorated by the comments made last season about the guy who WILL be our starting QB, whether we individually want it or not.

But then the lovely and gracious fansince chimed in lol...and with the expected eternal negativity which he's known for called us all infantile for showing the optimism we do. So, to take a dig at him, I pretended his comment was aimed at the posters on the thread that he actually agreed with...and your name popped into my head. Nothing more than that.

Interesting stat. I do think we've been prone to running a lot down there and I know they may have gotten gun-shy after the picks in the TB and Dallas games in 07 but you can't limit yourself because it kills the team.

That said, I think Campbell is going to need to work on timing. If he's going to overcome that bad release, he's going to need to get things out in a hurry and work on speeding up his process EVEN MORE than he may have felt he did before.

You can win with QBs who don't read defenses well consistently. You can't win if they can't get the ball in there at the right time.

I absolutely agree that if Campbell anticipates more it will help out moving the ball. I still dont see how thats going to do anything to solve the RZ problems if they dont let him throw. Unless their plan doesnt involve fixing it. I guess you could get in the RZ more but convert the same amount. I think its probly a little better/effective to make sure you are scoring every time you get there.

Id like to see a breakdown of RZ passing to running ratio in the first half vs the 2nd half of the season. Id be willing to bet we passed more in the first half than the 2nd, though I have nothing to currently back that up.

thanks Califan007 for the obvious research and thought that you put into this post.

man it seems like only yesterday that the Redskins were 6-2 and destined for a first round bye week.

oh well maybe this year?

My pleasure :cheers:...

It's cool, because we now have a good convo going about the red zone offense in this thread as well...and this thread has stayed relatively calm, surprisingly enough.

Id like to see a breakdown of RZ passing to running ratio in the first half vs the 2nd half of the season. Id be willing to bet we passed more in the first half than the 2nd, though I have nothing to currently back that up.

First half the season

26 RZ attempts

6 Passing TDs on 30 pass attempts

7 rushing TDs on 31 attempts

1 gagdet TD

2nd half the season

22 RZ attempts

5 passing TDs on 33 passing attempts

4 rushing TDs again, 28 attempts (if my math is right)

1 Scramble TD

I did a semi-quick rundown of RZ performance broken down by the halves of the season.

Beyond the quick glance observation I have to point out that Campbell's play in the RZ doesnt seem to drop from one half to the other. The Run game seems to really suffer down the stretch. That might synch with the idea that we lost Samuels, Kendall wasnt able to practice during the week cause of his knees, Jansen wore down and sprained his knee, and Thomas played with a career threatening injury.

But really it comes down to this 1st half we scored TDs on 54% of our attempts in the RZ. Not great but its better than the 45% we had in the 2nd half. I just dont see why you wouldnt put the ball in Campbell's hands in between the 20s the majority of the time especially when the run game is struggling to get off.

Like I said, let this man throw

Archived