Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell Is Our Starting QB, So Let's Be Optimistic About It...

I don't hate the guy. I wish him all the luck in the world. :secret: It's gonna have to be luck, cause skill aint been gettin' it done.:D

I don't know Cap'n, but it seems like some pretty intelligent football minds disagree with your ass-essment of Jason's skills. ;)

His first 8 games were simply amazing. Everything we could want from him, .....

'K, even though he's sadly drained the last bit of hope I had for him out of me during his tenure on-field here, I appreciate the OP's sentiments and fully concure that so long as he's QB'ing the B&G, I still optimisticaly pray he turn's into the leader we more than deserve at the position.

But please, let's keep this in perspective.

His first 8 games last year were not "simply amazing." He's rarely if ever been anything remotely aproaching "simply amazing", here or at Auburn. His first half of '08 was good. He managed the games real well, took shots down field, and deserves a heap of credit for the zero INT's, whatever style of play brought them about. The back to back road games in Irving and Philly were some of the best he's put up in his pro life.

But if his overal output is to be deemed "simply amazing", or "MVP worthy", as was laughably being banded around at the time, more so on here than anywhere else in the main (8 TD's in 8 games, with two berefet of any scores at all, does not a league MVP make); then our standards of what constitutes greatness have sadly fallen dramatically.

Maybe's it's a sympton of the age we live in; maybe's it's the mere fact we've been so starved of success for nigh on two decades now; that anything remotely resembling good play from a Redskin get's blown out of all perportion into "greatness."

That said, here's to being proved wrong on Jason next year.

Oh, and unlike the many that wrote on here they'd be through with this team if we landed Cutler, and openly hoped he'd fail if we did; or say similar about Colt falling flat on his ass; if that were to happen, I, along with many others I'm sure, would be the happiest man alive when it comes to the B&G.

Those big, bad "haters" huh? ;)

Hail.

I'm all for kind of putting the impasse behind us as a board if we can agree that we reserve the right to return to our opinions based on preseason developments (Jason typically performs well in training camp sessions or did the last couple of offseasons.)

Obviously, I don't believe Jason is that guy but just like last year, I will be excited when he does well. I'd note, however, that even jaws said he had to throw more TDs. And I don't know how Jaws defends someone so strongly who still has problems throwing to guys in stride or at the right moment.

But let's hope that this offseason of personal disappointment and almost being replaced (likely to a crappy team) is able to spark a fire of improvement in Jason and he turns the corner. He doesn't have to be Tom Brady (though that would be nice, it's not happening) but it would be good if he could even be a top 9 QB. I think we can win with a player who is 9th best in the league at the QB position.

We will see but for now, he's our guy. :cool2:

well F'ing said Ghost, well said.

I wish all criticism of JC could be this thoughtful ...

I don't hate the guy. I wish him all the luck in the world. :secret: It's gonna have to be luck, cause skill aint been gettin' it done.:D

and tell us kind sir, WHAT DO YOU YOU?

that's like me standing over the shoulder of the mechanic for Air Force One and saying, "uhhh, yeah man, do think that screw goes there?"

I don't know crap about crap, but JC has arm? right? a good one.

He has size.

He has legs, he can move out of the pocket, and he has improved moving around the pocket.

he has heart...no doubt.

he has toughness, we have seen him get clobbered.

his accuracy is nothing to be desired but its better then Manning and Orton.

his deep ball is so-so

WHAT?

I'd be optimistic if the good/bad order was switched. If JC was bad in the 1st half, but got really good in the 2nd half of the season after he spent more time in the offense. But because it wasn't I have exactly zero optimism for him and his play.

Progression good. Regression bad.

you didn't notice how it said that Portis was on pace for 2000 yards at midseason? He didn't come anywhere close.

I'd say that means the entire O regressed and the people who talk about the line wearing down have a strong point in their favor.

and tell us kind sir, WHAT DO YOU YOU?

that's like me standing over the shoulder of the mechanic for Air Force One and saying, "uhhh, yeah man, do think that screw goes there?"

I don't know crap about crap, but JC has arm? right? a good one.

He has size.

He has legs, he can move out of the pocket, and he has improved moving around the pocket.

he has heart...no doubt.

he has toughness, we have seen him get clobbered.

his accuracy is nothing to be desired but its better then Manning and Orton.

his deep ball is so-so

WHAT?

And he sure can run over a Dallas Safety! Watching that with Cowboy fans was about the only good part of that game.

Heres to him returning to form! :point2sky

you didn't notice how it said that Portis was on pace for 2000 yards at midseason? He didn't come anywhere close.

I'd say that means the entire O regressed and the people who talk about the line wearing down have a strong point in their favor.

No, it's Campbell's fault. He's not opening up the holes for Portis. Colt Sanchez would do that!

Well the ones that support JC as the starter and "want" him to do well will have a great season. All the doom and gloom fans are in for a long one. Personally I like the fact JC is the man. I can look forward to the 2009 season while some of you are waiting around for the 2010 one to begin...Doesn't make sense to me.

The JC slobberers need to get one thing. Nobody wants JC to fail. I'd like to see him become a first ballot HOFer this season. Plus, with this defense we have now, he can't fail. That defense alone should be worth 14 points a game in field poition and turnovers. So there.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Dude if he throws 16 tds, 0 ints and takes us to 12-4 which is where is first half form would have taken us, I bet your :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: changes to :doh1::doh1::doh1: really fast!

I'm optimistic... That our defense will be good enough to keep us in games and give us a shot. I'm optimistic that Campbell will help the D by not throwing a lot of INTs. I'm even hopeful that someone will teach him to throw the ball into the stands when he is chased out of the pocket and has no one open. (twice last year he took sacks for losses within 5 yards of the sideline. :doh:)

I hope he does well. I'll cheer him on as a Redskin every time he takes the field. But that's about as far as I can go.

Guest Spearfeather
Well the ones that support JC as the starter and "want" him to do well will have a great season. All the doom and gloom fans are in for a long one. Personally I like the fact JC is the man. I can look forward to the 2009 season while some of you are waiting around for the 2010 one to begin...Doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, his record as a starter gives us all reason to be optimistic. Top 5 defense, solid run game, still 8 - 8. Why? Doesn't make sense.

Dude if he throws 16 tds, 0 ints and takes us to 12-4 which is where is first half form would have taken us, I bet your :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: changes to :doh1::doh1::doh1: really fast!

You mean how he played before defenses figured out how to play him?

:doh:

Yeah, his record as a starter gives us all reason to be optimistic. Top 5 defense, solid run game, still 8 - 8. Why? Doesn't make sense.

Defense was tops yardage-wise only. We only gave up big plays when we couldn't afford to.

The run game was nothing at the end of the year.

Makes a little more sense now.

Yeah, we don't want him to do well. That's why we are upset that he hasn't. :doh:

You mean how he played before defenses figured out how to play him?

:doh:

How to beat any offense:

Kick their line's ass. Knock them down, send way too many defenders for them to block, and double-cover their only receiving threat. They won't pass, so they'll be forced to run, and their line's old as Bugel at this point and can't get through the season without falling apart, so the run won't work, either. Now go win.

It's not all on the line, no, but I'd only put 35% or so on Campbell. A significant amount, but certainly nothing that ANY quarterback could overcome by himself.

Put him out there with a line, a short field, and some receivers not named "Moss" and see how he does. As the thread title says: Campbell's our starting quarterback and that's not changing barring a catastrophic event. Get the eff over it, sit back, and lose your voice for him and the rest of the team. If he fails, then he fails, and we move on next year.

Yeah, we don't want him to do well. That's why we are upset that he hasn't. :doh:

No, it's because you all only see the bad in everything because our franchise hasn't done anything these past eighteen years save for 99, 05, and 07. It's very easy to ignore the good when you're just expecting heartbreak.

No matter how well a player or coach performs on this team, only his failures will be remembered unless, literally, he dies.

Campbell, Rogers, Portis, Moss, Landry, Zorn, hell, even Gibbs and Taylor. They are defined on this board only by their failures while their successes are the clear exception. Never mind that Zorn went 8-8 this year, meaning that he's a wash in this hypothetical vacuum, he's still an idiot. Never mind that Campbell had a 100+ passer rating for five weeks and a 90+ for even more, he is still the worst thing to squat behind center since Ryan Leaf.

Redskins fans are gluttons for depression and we can't stand any light because we're so used to being in the dark.

Guest Spearfeather
Defense was tops yardage-wise only. We only gave up big plays when we couldn't afford to.

The run game was nothing at the end of the year.

Makes a little more sense now.

Well, when you don"t have to worry about the pass as a defense, you can concentrate on the run. His record as a starter? That number of TD passes should really put some fear in defenses this year though.

People will cheer for him once the season starts, but right now it's the offseason and we all need something to debate about. Even if some of the debating is a bit over the top it gives everyone something to talk about and something for others to read. I'm one of the JC supporters and although I find a lot of the other sides arguments extremely annoying at this point it gets me through the day.

Maybe's it's a sympton of the age we live in; maybe's it's the mere fact we've been so starved of success for nigh on two decades now; that anything remotely resembling good play from a Redskin get's blown out of all perportion into "greatness."

Aside from your odd spelling of "maybe", I really think you are on to something here. We have had so many bad QBs here, that the first time someone comes along that shows some potential the fans fall in love.

It's like when I was a young man looking for the girl of my dreams. I wanted to find her so badly that I saw her in half the girls I dated. All of the flaws were hidden and I saw what I wanted to see. Ah, well... at least I didn't marry one of the mistakes and the Redskins didn't sign Campbell to 7 years for a gazillion dollars when he was looking decent in the beginning of last season.

The JC slobberers need to get one thing. Nobody wants JC to fail. I'd like to see him become a first ballot HOFer this season. Plus, with this defense we have now, he can't fail. That defense alone should be worth 14 points a game in field poition and turnovers. So there.

But you're a Colt slobberer? A back-up QB slobberer?

sniff, sniff, i want animal crackers. so there.

Archived