Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(From a Previous Date) PFT: Skins Talking Extension With McIntosh(Merged)

Soup

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/23/skins-talking-extension-with-mcintosh/

I like it' date=' maybe they can sign him up cheap.

I don't remember where I read it but doesn't talking extension with a player before a draft mean anything? I know I read something about teams giving extensions to players before the draft and that meaning something.[/quote']

good. Maybe shift some money to next year's cap and clear some more space this year.

Do it up...keep as much of the young core of this D intact as you can!

Landry, Horton, Hall, Rogers, Doughty (depth), Moore (depth), Smoot (depth), Rocky, Blades (hopefully eventually MLB), Haynesworth, Carther, Monty, Golston...I like the way that side of the ball is shaping up!

This is true, we've actually been doing a pretty decent job of making sure our defense stays amongst the elite. If only we could get some of that young nucleus establish for our offense.

Not a bad idea to lock up Rocky but why not lock up Golston and Monty as well, then we aren't looking for linebackers AND defensive tackles next season.

This franchise needs a 3 year plan not a year to year plan...AS HAS BEEN THE CASE and is still going on now.

$535K is minimum salary for 4th year players so there is no way that a contract extension could free up any cap sapce this year. So the only reason for this is the FO trying to lock up one of our own players before he hits the open market.

Was about to mention this. There is no way this has anything to do with creating cap space for 09.

I like Rocky. He's not a superstar by any means but he's a tough, solid LB whos getting better. We usually don't resign guys like this so it would be a nice change.

Hes a guy Id like to see in Maroon and Yellow for years to come. Build with guys like this.

$535K is minimum salary for 4th year players so there is no way that a contract extension could free up any cap sapce this year. So the only reason for this is the FO trying to lock up one of our own players before he hits the open market.

what was his bonus though? How much does he count against the cap?

Although I want to see Rocky do well, I tend to agree here. They only have just under 6 million in cap space. I hope this isn't to accommodate a contract for Sanchez.:doh:

Of course not, we had to make room for that new toy Snyder signed. What's his Name? Punter? Oh that's right Hunter Smith, he's a punter ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed!!

If we lock up Carlos and McIntosh and find a long-term solution at OLB, we will have a fantastic defensive core. The players on our roster that can contribute for more than 3 years would be:

Rogers

Hall

Landry

Horton/Kareem Moore (assuming one of them becomes a solid starter)

Rocky

Blades (either as MLB or 4th LB/depth)

Carter (probably)

Orakpo

Haynesworth

Montgomery/Golston

Wilson/Jackson

That's an impressive list of young defensive players!! It allows us to take our time in upgrading positions or replacing aging players (Fletcher, maybe Carter, etc.).

If we lock up Carlos and McIntosh and find a long-term solution at OLB, we will have a fantastic defensive core. The players on our roster that can contribute for more than 3 years would be:

Rogers

Hall

Landry

Rocky

Carter (probably)

Orakpo

Haynesworth

Montgomery/Golston

Wilson/Jackson

That's an impressive list of young defensive players!! It allows us to take our time in upgrading positions or replacing aging players (Fletcher, maybe Carter, etc.).

Thats why I didnt have a big problem with us drafting defense in this draft. Our defense is set for a few years now. We only have 3 starters on defense right now that are 30 or older: Carter, Daniels, and Fletcher (4 if you count Smoot). But we have replacements for them already in Blades, Orakpo, Wilson, and Barnes. So we shouldn't have to worry about the defensive side of the ball for awhile if we lock up Carlos and Rocky.

He's in the last year of his deal, so they could just use that 5.6M that they have in the cap to extend him a year. Restructure his deal and give him a 4M option bonus, and add another year at 2M salaried.

He gets to pocket 4M next week, still makes his 0.5M salary this year, and we get him again next year for 2M in salary. It may not be a huge deal, but it puts him under contract going into a potentially uncapped year, where the team could then easily restructure him to something longer once it is clear how the CBA is going to pan out....

Rogers

Hall

Landry

Rocky

Carter (probably)

Orakpo

Haynesworth

Montgomery/Golston

Wilson/Jackson

Damn, I think I got a hard-on while reading that list. :silly:

McIntosh just doesnt make plays.. I cannot think of one single game where I thought to myself " Thank God we have Rocky ".

He is a middle of the pack WLB at best.

He is way better than Warrick Holdman, dont get me wrong.. But, he does not jump out at me as the kind of player that Washington needs to commit a ton of dough to.

Dude averaged just under five and a half tackles a game the last two years.

And a whopping five sacks in three years.

:cool:

Archived