Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(From a Previous Date) PFT: Skins Talking Extension With McIntosh(Merged)

Soup

He's a bust. Let's see if he can stay healthy this year, and play well consistently before we extend him. He hasn't shown me anything. He starts b/c no one else is even close to a game ready OLB. He could barely hit the field his rookie season, but we are so thin at OLB now he has to.

:gus:

Dude he played well last year. Not flashy, but really solid.

:gus:

Dude he played well last year. Not flashy, but really solid.

I disagree. Second half of the season teams started killing us by running to the outside. And not just at Marcus. Think about the games where the D couldn't get off of the field in the 4th quarter. How did that happen? Watch the tapes...they ran right at Rocky. He's a weak link. Sorry, I want him to be good. I know he had knee surgery, but they knew he had bad knees when they drafted him.

I disagree. Second half of the season teams started killing us by running to the outside. And not just at Marcus. Think about the games where the D couldn't get off of the field in the 4th quarter. How did that happen? Watch the tapes...they ran right at Rocky. He's a weak link. Sorry, I want him to be good. I know he had knee surgery, but they knew he had bad knees when they drafted him.

Well, if you knew he was coming off of knee surgery, why would you... nevermind, you are too contradictive.

+1

I like Rocky, I really do. But his knees are bad and have been bad since college.

My fear is that we've already gotten the best we can from him. Frankly, I think a contract extension is the wrong move here. Let him go out and stay healthy for a full season and perform at a high level before we consider giving him more money.

There may be a better option available next year.

B/c excuses don't translate to results. It doesn't matter why he isn't productive. It just matters that he isn't. There is no contradiction.

It is so damning for a person who co-opts from behind a computer screen to talk about "EXCUSES."

Everyone has an excuse in life be it for health or an unknown factor. McIntosh was absolutely a wonder for the first half of the season: hell he was on pace for a 100 tackle season during his first 3 games according to this: http://www.rotowire.com/football/player.htm?id=4921

What happened? he came back too quickly from his knee injury just as Carlos Rogers.

It is so damning for a person who co-opts from behind a computer screen to talk about "EXCUSES."

Everyone has an excuse in life be it for health or an unknown factor. McIntosh was absolutely a wonder for the first half of the season: hell he was on pace for a 100 tackle season during his first 3 games according to this: http://www.rotowire.com/football/player.htm?id=4921

What happened? he came back too quickly from his knee injury just as Carlos Rogers.

LMAO, through 3 games?!?!?! Oh crap. That's a heck of a sample to build a trend. We are all talking behind a computer screen man. I wouldn't mind saying it to anyone's face. And you are right, we all have excuses. They never change the reality though.

Dollars to donuts this has more to do with the 'skins trying to free up more cap space this year then their desire to see Rocky stay a Redskin.

Although I want to see Rocky do well, I tend to agree here. They only have just under 6 million in cap space. I hope this isn't to accommodate a contract for Sanchez.:doh:

Obviously you take the whole season into account, and hopefully that will help us when it comes to the bargaining table with Rocky. However I don't think you can say "He's a bust" because his knee wore down after having major surgery the year prior. The fact that he was able to play at the fairly high level he did last season says more to me than him slowing down late. It's obvious the talent is there. When he's healthy the production is there. Yes there were concerns over his knee when we drafted him, hence why he was available in the second round. However his knee injury in 2007 had nothing to do with any prior injuries/concerns, it was a freak injury that could happen to anyone.

I don't think he needs to be paid like the elite due to his lack of "big plays" but I do believe he is an upper tier player at his position, and I expect to see this in the games and in the stat sheet this season. Don't underestimate the effect a knee injury will have on the following season. Having to rehab all offseason is like running a 100 yard dash with your opponent starting at the 20.

Obviously you take the whole season into account, and hopefully that will help us when it comes to the bargaining table with Rocky. However I don't think you can say "He's a bust" because his knee wore down after having major surgery the year prior. The fact that he was able to play at the fairly high level he did last season says more to me than him slowing down late. It's obvious the talent is there. When he's healthy the production is there. Yes there were concerns over his knee when we drafted him, hence why he was available in the second round. However his knee injury in 2007 had nothing to do with any prior injuries/concerns, it was a freak injury that could happen to anyone.

I don't think he needs to be paid like the elite due to his lack of "big plays" but I do believe he is an upper tier player at his position, and I expect to see this in the games and in the stat sheet this season. Don't underestimate the effect a knee injury will have on the following season. Having to rehab all offseason is like running a 100 yard dash with your opponent starting at the 20.

Yeah, bust is probably a bit harsh. I am not satisfied with his production, and very concerned with his durability, especially being this young. If we can get him on the cheap, I would support the decision.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/23/skins-talking-extension-with-mcintosh/

I like it' date=' maybe they can sign him up cheap.

I don't remember where I read it but doesn't talking extension with a player before a draft mean anything? I know I read something about teams giving extensions to players before the draft and that meaning something.[/quote']

It doesn't mean anything except that they maybe want to have more money available to sign rookies.

Like maybe the third overall pick.

DundunDUNNNNN!!!!!

McIntosh is entering the final year of his four-year rookie deal. He’s due to earn a base salary of $535,000 in 2009. The second-round pick from the 2006 draft appeared in 16 games last season, starting 15 of them.
Dollars to donuts this has more to do with the 'skins trying to free up more cap space this year then their desire to see Rocky stay a Redskin.
So this is how we're gonna clear up salary cap room. I was wondering if we were gonna cut somebody. I like this even better. We're suring up OUR OWN young players.

$535K is minimum salary for 4th year players so there is no way that a contract extension could free up any cap sapce this year. So the only reason for this is the FO trying to lock up one of our own players before he hits the open market.

Sweet, lets hope his knee holds up.

Anybody see Path to the Draft on NFLN. Charley Casserly apparently think Curry may fall to number 12 in the draft. I'd love it if he could fall one more spot.

Curry and R-Mac would be a nice pair.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/23/skins-talking-extension-with-mcintosh/

I like it' date=' maybe they can sign him up cheap.

I don't remember where I read it but doesn't talking extension with a player before a draft mean anything? I know I read something about teams giving extensions to players before the draft and that meaning something.[/quote']

cue the extended Rocky Mac so we can trade him to move up and take Aaron Curry Rumors :D

I think a WLB is probably easier to draft anyways :D

Archived