Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Redskins Trying to Land Cutler (Updated)

MarkMissoula

http://www.denverexaminer.problitz.com/sports/broncos/20090401-Cutler-Trade.html

Broncos have deal in place to send Cutler to San Francisco

The Broncos will acquire three draft picks and quarterback Alex Smith in the deal

By Matt Baubo - print article

Published: April 1, 2009

The Denver Broncos have the framework of a deal in place to trade disgruntled starting quarterback Jay Cutler to the 49ers, a source close to the team reports. The 49ers will reportedly send their first and third round pick in this year's draft (10th and 74th overall), their second round pick in the 2010 draft, aging safety Mark Roman, and former first overall pick Alex Smith.

And underneath the article this was posted:

Arizona Cardinals QB Kurt Warner will no longer be using his trademark gloves on the field this season. When asked why he merely responded with, "God told me not to wear them." No word from the team as to how this will affect his throwing motion.

In Buffalo, newly signed wide receiver Terrell Owens was seen getting into an altercation with Bills quarterback Trent Edwards during a charity Ultimate Frisbee tournament. Onlookers overheard Owens could yelling "Throw me the [expletive] frisbee! I'm open!" while getting really close to Edwards. Owens was later seen throwing popcorn in Edwards' face before storming out of the facility where the event was being held. Edwards and Owens could not be reached for comment.

Darren Sproles, the diminutive yet shifty running back for the San Diego Chargers, needed medical attention after being shot through a children's tube slide at acceerated speeds at a local San Diego park. "Man, you just pick up speed on that thing! I thought it was never going to end. I don't know how my kids do it." Sproles had minor scratches and bruises but should not miss any team workouts.

Not to mention the site also mentions McDonalds plans to go "vegetarian".

LOL!! Good one! I can't wait for tomorrow to get here1

You can stack 8 in the box against ANYONE if they only have one threat at WR and their OL is porous and needs an extra TE in to block most of the time.
The offensive line was a weakness for this team in pass protection, no doubt. But I think they got a little better with the addition of Doc. They still could have a few draft picks left to get younger players as well.

Even if Cutler is that good, which is completely up in the air IMO, he isn't going to suddenly make our O linemen block better, get younger, or stop getting injured. And he isn't going to make ARE actually get separation, get Devin Thomas to run routes correctly, or make Kelly's knees work.

all good points. But I think Cutler will make the OFFENSE better. Agree to disagree?

With our OL and lack of receiving threats I think Cutler would be an INT machine here. In Denver he had a great OL as well as plenty of receiving talent...and he still threw a bunch of INTs. You can toss up risky passes to a guy like Brandon Marshall who can just plain crush DBs with his size and strength. You can't do that when your best WR option is a small deep threat guy.

I've got to be honest with you I would rather have a QB that will make mistakes trying to make a play than what we have in Campbell who seems afraid to throw the football beyond 15+ yards.

The offensive line was a weakness for this team in pass protection, no doubt. But I think they got a little better with the addition of Doc. They still could have a few draft picks left to get younger players as well.

Dockery was TERRIBLE in Buffalo last year. He has youth and health over Kendall, who was very good for us last year. Otherwise, he's a downgrade.

Why don't we wait to see him on the field for the Redskins for a season before declaring him a 'downgrade'

I like Dock. Signing makes sense because we have no offensive linemen under 30 worth a damn on our roster.

But Kendall was a better player last year. Much better.

How many Bills games did you watch last year, sir?

Only a few. But read any Bills forum. They didn't get rid of him just for kicks. He was a liability all season long.

But again, I'm not saying the signing was a bad one. Dock is the least of our concerns. We still don't have a right tackle on the roster.

I think Dock helps more in the run game than pass game, to be honest. But again he is only one guy. I'm sure he'll help out but he isn't Steve Hutchinson. We would have to wait until the 3rd round to get an OL guy. Yes you can get potentially great guys there, but they usually need more time to be developed than a 1st rounder.

all good points. But I think Cutler will make the OFFENSE better. Agree to disagree?

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on this one. If he pans out, Cutler may make the offense better, but with all the other issues we have on our O and the fact that he is a risk taker, especially under pressure, I see it as pretty much a wash between him and JC; maybe a bit better offense...but certainly not improvement enough to justify 2 1st round draft picks or even more.

I've got to be honest with you I would rather have a QB that will make mistakes trying to make a play than what we have in Campbell who seems afraid to throw the football beyond 15+ yards.

Well, the problem with that is it is easy to say right now when it isn't all happening. But imagine all of the cursing and yelling that would be going on in the game day thread when he throws a pick or two that lead directly to points by the other team and might mean the game for us. I don't see many people saying "well it's ok if turnovers cost us the game...the guy is a risk taker and I like that".

or if it does happen and Campbell leads another team deep into the playoffs or to a championship, we'll see all the JC haters wishing for what we no longer have.

You can say the same thing about Cutler??? What if HE takes us to the promise land, all the JC lovers will be eating crow. works both ways guy~

I like Dock. Signing makes sense because we have no offensive linemen under 30 worth a damn on our roster.

But Kendall was a better player last year. Much better.

What about Heyer? Trust me, I agree with you on the offensive line. A few years ago I started a thread about the average age of the offensive line. I KNOW they need to get younger, but the Skins simply do not have the draft picks or the knowledge (it seems) to make the right choice. Couple that with the fact that they have 5 draft selections and what do you expect to get?

Yeah, sometimes it's actually painful to root for this team.

Yes, it is tough to root for this team!

Jason Campbell has been given every opportunity to demostrate what he is capable of doing, and has fallen short. We gave him 4 odd years! Folks could make a ton of excuses for him, but lets be fair... there were plenty of teams that did not have the offensive talent we had, and did better.

Seeing as the whole "stadium" is filled with Cutler threads, shouldnt there be a subforum like "Around Cutler". It could be divided into daily subforums to keep track of everything. :hysterical:

they could just make it the "Latest Free Agent/Trade forum"

What about Heyer? Trust me, I agree with you on the offensive line. A few years ago I started a thread about the average age of the offensive line. I KNOW they need to get younger, but the Skins simply do not have the draft picks or the knowledge (it seems) to make the right choice. Couple that with the fact that they have 5 draft selections and what do you expect to get?

Heyer has shown nothing. He's a backup at best.

Well, the problem with that is it is easy to say right now when it isn't all happening. But imagine all of the cursing and yelling would be going on in the game day thread when he throws a pick or two that lead directly to points by the other team and might mean the game for us. I don't see many people saying "well it's ok if turnovers cost us the game...the guy is a risk taker and I like that".

You know how this board gets during the games and after a loss :) I personally would enjoy watching a quarterback willing to go deep and throw the deep out and to different WR's NOT named Santana!

Heyer has shown nothing. He's a backup at best.

You could be absolutely correct on that one. My opinion is he's young and has a good upside. He's only started for, what, a half a season. Give him some time. Doc use to BLOW when he first started at Guard. Remember that fumble he caused on the one yard line? I can't remember who it was against but he wasn't anything to write home about in his first year.

At least he's under 30 :)

Another thing to think about...

Which of the other teams interested in Cutler has a good enough qb to trade? Maybe the browns - and that's it. Like some of us have been saying - Brennan is going to be the key in this trade (if it happens).

I have to admit, I would really not enjoy watching the Broncos get Colt and then seeing that he was as good as everyone on Extremeskins seems to think he is :)

Archived