Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Redskins Trying to Land Cutler (Updated)

MarkMissoula

Why because we got a 25 year old pro-bowl QB and got rid of a 150 yard 1TD a game QB. JC is a great guy but a good QB he will never be!

because we keep making the same mistakes over and over again. With the Haynesworth, with the Taylor, and all these mistakes we keep making. Cutler would just become the latest on the list.

I try to be optimistic and think "ok, they're learning", "they're improving", "see, they actually had a draft", "see they actually didn't go crazy in free agency", but thats tiresome. How long can I sit and watch them make the same mistakes over and over and act like it makes us a better team?

I'm about to get into a mood of **** it. I'll still watch the games and still cheer for the victories, but I'm about to just stop caring so much about who's on the team and how its run. If they're intent on running it like idiots, then why should I care?

I'm all for exploring a trade possibility, but i'm not going to lose any sleep about it. Honestly, i have reached a point where i just hope this comedy will end soon. But two other things i would like to adress.

1. Patience: 17 years and counting.

2. Homegrown Players / Loyalty:

HB Clinton Portis - Trade 2004

WR Santana Moss - Traded L. Coles to the Jets for him who we got from the Jets as FA

WR Antwaan Randle El - FA 2006

C Casey Rabach - FA 2005

G Randy Thomas - FA 2003

DE Andre Carter - FA 2006

DT Cornelius Griffin - FA 2004

DT Albert Haynesworth - FA 2009

LB London Fletcher - FA 2007

CB DeAngelo Hall - FA during the 2008 season

I like all these guys, but fact is that every one of them grew somewhere else as a player before he came here, primarily for money, and dont fool yourself thinking that it was only our tradition and winning attitude. There is no Darrell Green out there anymore. It's all about generating some green and trying to put a product on the field who can generate some wins (and more green).

If our front office had ANY faith in Jason Campbell, then none of this would even surface. All I needed to hear was that the Redskins were not interested in offering him a new contract. After last years performance, they could have locked him up long term for short money but decided not to. Who knows why, but I can tell you that there is something they don't like about him. If I were a betting man and he goes to Denver for Cutler, you will see him start one year while the Broncos groom their new draftee qb and ride the bench for the rest of his career.

If they did that deal I would officially give up the hope that I have begun to foster that our FO has learned anything or has any clue. I would simply resign myself to it fully. We have an old, beaten up O line that can't stay healthy, big holes in other positions (OLB, DE) and instead of drafting OL and the other positions of need they give up our starting QB who hasn't played lights out but who has shown promise and has improved every year, as well as 2 1st round picks for a flashy QB who definitely is NOT guaranteed to do better with our protection and lack of weapons on offense. What a joke. Please God, make this not happen.

You haven't been living in reality. Things never quieted down. What made you ever think the FO had changed?

Because of one quiet offseason?

Because we went after Briggs, and couldn't get him? Because we offered up two firsts for Ocho Cinco, and couldn't get him?

So because we chased players, and couldn't get them signed, somehow our love of chasing FOs disappeared?

Nothing ever changed.

In updated JLC post:

"I was definitely looking forward to being in the same offense for another year and seeing what we could together," Campbell said. "Being in a different system almost every year, you just don't get as comfortable as when you're in the same system for a lot of years. It's just different."

Although Campbell still hopes to be Washington's starting quarterback in fall, "with all the stuff out there, you know crazy stuff happens in this league," he said. "You just have to be ready for anything.

"A bunch of trade talk is what got Cutler mad at Denver, that's the reason all that stuff started with him, but I wouldn't do all that. The thing you understand that there's no loyalty in this game, so you just have to work hard. That's all you can do."

You want to get rid of this class act? Exactly how a leader should be. But this thing is done and completed. I expect it to be announced soon.

I am going to miss you JC. You were exactly the character I would love for the entire team to have.

Cutler set several franchise passing records last season, when he threw for 4,526 yards, 25 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. In his 37-game career in Denver, he's completed 62.5 percent of his passes for 9,024 yards, 54 TDs and 37 interceptions.

JC has played in 36 games with a QB rating of 80.4. Has a completion percentage of 59.7 (which should be higher with all the dump offs and check downs) and has thrown for 7242 yards with 35 TD and 23 INTS....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7201/career

Yes I know, stats lie. Cutler had a better offensive line but worse running game... blah blah... Just throwing it out there :)

42 201.2 6.4 35 23 107 550 15.3 5.1 2 66 431 20 9

LOL! Trust me. He has suitors. Will we get what Denver is getting? No way. But he will be traded at decent value. He has a lot of value out there because he has the tools and GM's know this. He also has experience in a couple of systems. Put him in Minnesota, boom they are SB contenders too.

The only teams that would even consider JC are the absolute worst teams in the league. Those with absolutely NO starting QB.

There isn't a team in the league thinking, "You know what, our qb is pretty good, but boy would that JC be an upgrade."

Not one.

I hear ya barking, dawg. It's ridiculous that we trade away everything we ever try to build. I guarantee that Campbell will be great eventually, and we'll all regret letting him go.

Thanks. And also, while I have not agreed with the current FO on many things, one thing I am proud to be a 'skins fan for is that we have a group of guys that avoid making the bonehead headlines that are becoming so commonplace league wide. I think Snyder learned a bit about the value of character under Gibbs 2.0 and I would hate to give up a quality guy for a loose cannon. I guess the proof will be in the pudding, but I just can't bring myself to buy into all of these rumors of our interest in Cutler. Maybe we could have won more games had we picked up TO, but I could not have felt good about rooting for him. Lets keep our core and BUILD it. GO SKINS!!

John Keim is reporting this is all Snyder. That Zorn is completely out of the loop.

No surprise there. Remember when Snyder tried to get Briggs without even consulting Gibbs?

Snyder is the Head Coach. Why would Zorn have any say in this at all?

Zorn couldn't bench Portis, couldn't pick his own QB, nor his assistant coaches.

The only teams that would even consider JC are the absolute worst teams in the league. Those with absolutely NO starting QB.

There isn't a team in the league thinking, "You know what, our qb is pretty good, but boy would that JC be an upgrade."

Not one.

I would venture that if the Broncos do trade Cutler, leaving them with Chris Simms, they definitely fit the criteria of a team with no QB.

And then some. Most third string QBs in the league would be an upgrade over that bum.

~Bang

Not one.

We already disagreed. No need to keep saying the same thing in different words.

Trading for Cutler would really tick me off. I know 90% of you all are JC haters, but why can't we FOR ONCE have patience and develop our own talent. Doesn't anyone out there have any loyalty and root for the guys that bust their ass on each and every play? Is there nobody who enjoys watching players progress and develop into good players? Surely there has to be someone who enjoys pulling for JC and wants to keep a character guy and a hard worker on the roster?

I will concede that right now Cutler is the better player. But everyone here always BLASTS the FO for "going for the big name player" and laments all those moves because they never work. We would not be getting Joe Montana folks. We'd be getting a guy who has one more win in his career than JC. And Cutler has had a much better o-line in terms of pass protection and a better receiving corps. This guy is not a definitive answer to all our problems.

I would have a hard time rooting for a guy who whined his way out of Denver because his feelings got hurt. Granted, Denver's staff handled it wrong, but you have to wonder about this guy's psyche. He's also had a war of words with Philip Rivers. He also thinks he is Brett Farve and enjoys the "gun slinger" mentality. Don't get caught up in the hype about Cutler...he has not won ANYTHING.

I want to see what JC can do. All of you haters would have given up on Ryp before the amazing 1991 season if this blog existed then, and that would have proven to be absolutely stupid.

Stop and think about it. Give our guy a chance to get to the next level instead of mortgaging the farm (again) by trying to score another big name. Cutler is not necessarily the answer and we don't need another transplant to come and save us.

JC, some of us in 'skins land appreciate your efforts and are rooting for you, and we hope all of these rumors are based soley on Snyder's track record of trying to make the big splash, and instead merely belly flopping.

You know I do agree with you in some respects. The problem is - as you pointed out extremely well - is that the Redskins didn't have a "system" for JC to walk into. He was drafted by Gibbs so he learns Gibbs offensive.

Then they run out and change the entire philosophy and get Saunders. Now we're learning his crap. Then, they say **** it, we're going to go with Zorn and West Coast offense.

WTF? You know the sad part? Next season if the offense isn't great - they will fire Zorn and say **** it all over again and get Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren, etc etc etc. It never stops.

That said, now that the team APPEARS to be trying to run WCO, then I think Cutler is the best man for the job.

In all other areas I agree with you though. We should be building through the draft; Its hard when you don't have a ****ing clue what your plan is....

Not one.

Bull ****ing ****! The guy has the potential to be a top 5-6 QB in the NFC , if we give him a decent OL and more than 1 year in a freaking system. Anything you want to bet: If we get him an upgraded OL, Jason posts a 90+QB rating, even in Zorn's pathetically remedial offensive scheme.

I would venture that if the Broncos do trade Cutler, leaving them with Chris Simms, they definitely fit the criteria of a team with no QB.

And then some. Most third string QBs in the league would be an upgrade over that bum.

~Bang

Possible. Simms did suck pretty hard in Tampa.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for Colt and picks, not Campbell and picks.

If they take Colt over JC, that will really awaken some fans.

Bull ****ing ****! The guy has the potential to be a top 5-6 QB in the NFC , if we give him a decent OL and more than 1 year in a freaking system. Anything you want to bet: If we get him an upgraded OL, Jason posts a 90+QB rating, even in Zorn's pathetically remedial offensive scheme.

Never gonna happen

First, we don't want the top 5-6 qb out of 16 teams, if everything works out perfectly.

Secondly, he has never done anything to suggest this being a possibility.

Oh, the one great run, where we went 6-2? When he threw one touchdown a game?

We won in spite of him, not because he was carrying the team with one td a game.

You are going to be thrilled to see our QB able to throw 3 or 4 tds a game, and how that will open everything up.

First, we don't want the top 5-6 qb out of 16 teams, if everything works out perfectly.

Secondly, he has never done anything to suggest this being a possibility.

Oh, the one great run, where we went 6-2? When he threw one touchdown a game?

We won in spite of him, not because he was carrying the team with one td a game.

You are going to be thrilled to see our QB able to throw 3 or 4 tds a game, and how that will open everything up.

Portis will be one happy dude. You cannot stack 8 men in the box against Cutler. I'm sorry there is no chance a team would be that stupid even with our sub par WR corp.

Portis will be one happy dude. You cannot stack 8 men in the box against Cutler. I'm sorry there is no chance a team would be that stupid even with our sub par WR corp.

There you go. It will help the running game big time.

And Cutler will actually throw to people not named only Moss and Cooley.

He can actually see the field; long missing in these parts.

Archived