Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Oakland cop shot by parolee taken off life support

TimmySmith

There is an absolutely infuriating development in this tragedy.

Outside the apartment that SWAT officers stormed, a memorial for Mixon had flowers, candles and balloons. Notes read, "RIP Vell," " Money$" and "We gone miss u big cuzn." A plainclothes police officer went up to it at one point, stared at it for a second and then walked away, shaking his head.

Crisis outreach workers spoke to people on a corner, and less than an hour later, activists handed out flyers that invited people to a rally where they would "uphold the resistance" of "Brother Lovelle Mixon."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/24/MNQD16LJOV.DTL

This is disgusting and sad. The gulf between the police and the community in Oakland could not be wider. I'm not sure what can be done, but something has to change there.

This is disgusting and sad. The gulf between the police and the community in Oakland could not be wider. I'm not sure what can be done, but something has to change there.
Seems like the first thing that must be done is for a cool head to stop this rally. It is only going to incite kaos. I am 3000 miles away and can see that Oakland is about to erupt unless something is done. Finally a place where Al Sharpton or Jesse might do some good. Where are they?

Seems like the first thing that must be done is for a cool head to stop this rally. It is only going to incite kaos. I am 3000 miles away and can see that Oakland is about to erupt unless something is done. Finally a place where Al Sharpton or Jesse might do some good. Where are they?

No offense, but being 3000 miles away you should not speculate that Oakland is going to 'erupt' over this event. The guy was a lowlife, good riddance.

Do you all understand that all this Oakland police stuff isn't even really about this? That it really started to blow up when a BART officer shot some guy in the back of the head at a train station? The tensions have been high since then and this is just adding onto it.

Here's video of the original shooting:

(NSFW and extremelly disturbing so be warned)

That being said it still isn't an excuse to kill cops and the cops weren't killed over this. They were killed because dude didn't want to go back to prison. But it is why people in Oakland aren't feeling sympathy for the police. And it is why things could definitely blow up really bad.

Do you all understand that all this Oakland police stuff isn't even really about this? That it really started to blow up when a BART officer shot some guy in the back of the head at a train station? The tensions have been high since then and this is just adding onto it.

Here's video of the original shooting:

(NSFW and extremelly disturbing so be warned)

That being said it still isn't an excuse to kill cops and the cops weren't killed over this. They were killed because dude didn't want to go back to prison. But it is why people in Oakland aren't feeling sympathy for the police. And it is why things could definitely blow up really bad.

Exactly, the bad feelings have to do with other, earlier incidents. The BART shooting was only the most publicized.

I feel for the Cops there. I'd have an itchy trigger finger too if you have to work in an environment where people don't think twice to shoot law enforcement and the public ignore the fact that the human debris taking a dirt nap are thugs and gang members making Oakland unsafe for them.

Back in the day I used to love certain parts of Oakland.

i am not at ALL sure what I saw in that vid... but if i HAD to guess, I would say that the gun went off accidentally.

look at the 1:25 - 1:30 period... you hear a bang, and then the cop in the back (whom I assume is the shooter) looks up and down, and up, and down... like he is amazed at what just happened... and then he pulls his shoulders up like "what the f****!?"

that said, it is totally inconclusive to me, from a grainy you-tube vid.... what are the officers SAYING happened?

The title of the story on Yahoo is very poorly written. Typical of Yahoo's high school journalistic standard.

Yes, I clicked on the thread to figure out how a parolee, who was taken off of life support, was still alive enough to get a gun and hunt down a police officer.

Do you all understand that all this Oakland police stuff isn't even really about this? That it really started to blow up when a BART officer shot some guy in the back of the head at a train station?

Isn't that what the guys who posted before you, were implying ? (Predicto and Timmy Smith)

that said, it is totally inconclusive to me, from a grainy you-tube vid.... what are the officers SAYING happened?

The officer is saying that he thought it was his tazer, not his gun.

However, according to witnesses, the guy didn't need tazering either. He was just lying there.

Several other suspects have been shot by Oakland police in recent years under circumstances which have been questioned by some people. The current level of mistrust is staggering.

i am not at ALL sure what I saw in that vid... but if i HAD to guess, I would say that the gun went off accidentally.

look at the 1:25 - 1:30 period... you hear a bang, and then the cop in the back (whom I assume is the shooter) looks up and down, and up, and down... like he is amazed at what just happened... and then he pulls his shoulders up like "what the f****!?"

exactly...looked like the gun accidentally went off and he was shocked.

IMO, I read this more of an individual act. This P.O.S acted by himself with his own agenda. I doubt he cared about the BART officer incident.

This punk had a history of violence and was linked to more violence. He couldn't find work because he was a bad person/punk and I guarantee he didn't want to go back to prison.

So, he carried a gun on his person, violating his parole, and had an AK-47 in his sister's apartment. No, this was about a bad person that needed to be removed from society. A bad person that didn't like police. HE didn't like police.

Unfortunately, it took four good lives to do it.

That said, this obviously won't help the BART situation and probably only make it worse.

Archived