Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox news Mocks Canadian Military

artmonkforHOF

When the Americans invaded Canada, Canada whipped their ass. When Hitler was ravaging Europe and exterminating millions of people, Canada joined the war. It wasn't until two years later when pearl harbor occurred did America declare war. 42,000 of them were dead by the end of the war.

Canadians military is a joke.. heh.. sure.

Actually we have a few hundred thousand Cajun Americans in Louisianna originally from Canadian provinces who might disagree with that statement.

Fact is We've invaded Canada several times and haven't always lost, just lost the last two times...

Then again Canada has invaded the United States on a number of occassions too with mixed results..... We stopped them in the battle of Saratoga during the revolutionary war, and got our butts kicked at times in the war of 1812....

When the Americans invaded Canada, Canada whipped their ass. When Hitler was ravaging Europe and exterminating millions of people, Canada joined the war. It wasn't until two years later when pearl harbor occurred did America declare war. 42,000 of them were dead by the end of the war.

Well that might be so, but my dad can easily beat up your dad

America decided to go to war with the taliban in afganistan after 9/11, doesn't make much sense to me since most of the bombers where from Saudi Arabia, but that's an argument for another thread.

But since you brought it up, let me point out how absolutely stupid that logic is.

One of Al Qaeda's main goals is is the overthrow of the saudi government. Those people were not acting for Saudia Arabia. They were acting against it. That you and so many others have such a hard time grasping this is just astounding to me. :doh:

Vast majority of fox news bashers take what commentators say as how the network runs, as if what Sean Hannity says has any bearing on how the news network as a whole conducts itself.

There's a news portion and there's a commentary portion. Someone actually had the balls to tell me that they know Fox News (news portion) is also biased because during the actual occurence of Hurricane Katrina Fox News didn't report that there was a hurricane occuring at all.

Stupidity really shocks me sometimes.

When the opposite was true. I remember the Fox lead anchor Shepard Smith being incredulous before the storm how people were behaving like a major storm wasn't going to hit and on live tv a local yokel said mind your effing business and hours later the place was hit fox was there being critical of the city state and federal governments as well as the people who stayed.

When the opposite was true. I remember the Fox lead anchor Shepard Smith being incredulous before the storm how people were behaving like a major storm wasn't going to hit and on live tv a local yokel said mind your effing business and hours later the place was hit fox was there being critical of the city state and federal governments as well as the people who stayed.

yeah, and who can forget Geraldo falling when the hurricane hit Texas last year...http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFziScjyf4Ic

and Geraldo nearly jumping one of the New Orleans levy's just to get his story....

wait, are we still deciding if Canada has a military?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090323.wfoxapology0323/BNStory/International/home

Fox News host makes farce of his apology

Talk-show segment that mocked military prompts outrage from Defence Minister

JESSICA LEEDER

March 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM EDT

He mocked our military and our Mounties, and incited outrage among our highest-ranking politicians, but Greg Gutfeld couldn't muster the guts yesterday to tell us himself that he's sorry.

Sure, he apologized in a roundabout way: He issued a rueful apology through Fox News's corporate channels and posted a more personal one-liner on the social networking website Twitter, although in doing so he couldn't help himself from simultaneously slamming a second country with a military presence in Afghanistan.

“My apologies to the Canadian military,” he wrote. “They probably could at least beat the Belgians.”

On Monday night, Fox News muddied the waters further by saying Mr. Gutfeld doesn't have a Twitter account.

It's been a week since the host of Fox News's late night talk show Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld, and his fellow panelists ridiculed the suggestion by Lieutenant-General Andrew Leslie, Canada's Chief of the Land Staff, that the Canadian Forces may need to take a year-long break in operations due to personnel and equipment shortages.

However, time has not lessened the sting their comments caused across this country. As word continued to spread yesterday about the four-minute March 17 segment in which Mr. Gutfeld joked about invading Canada and suggested the military “wants to take a breather to do some yoga, paint landscapes, run on the beach in gorgeous white capri pants,” officials here demanded an apology and Canadian satirists lined up to dismiss the little-known jokester and his panelist posse.

“They should be ignored,” said political satirist Rick Mercer, who hosts his own show on CBC. “If you're going to do satire, three of the most important rules are you have to tell the truth, you can't be a bully and don't be an *******,” he said, adding: “Being a bully is not satire.”

Mr. Gutfeld, a self-proclaimed satirist and late-night talk show host, insisted in his statement Monday that his show, which airs at 2 a.m. (ET), is “a satirical take on the news, in which all topics are addressed in a lighthearted, humorous and ridiculous manner.”

Shortly after the program's 2007 debut, a review in the British newspaper The Guardian said the show “stands out because it might well have been knocked together by a bunch of stoners who, while trying to concentrate on their dissertations, keep getting distracted by pictures of monkeys and strippers.”

In the same article, Mr. Gutfeld, who is often accompanied by celebrity magazine writers or bloggers on the show, described his show's pared-down format: “We just sit down and talk about junk. We have no props, no high-end production values, no huge guest stars. I am the most inexperienced talk show host in the history of television. I'd describe it as a chat show for miscreants,” he said.

Mr. Gutfield, who is also a Huffington Post blogger, author and magazine editor who previously had stints at the helm of Men's Health, Stuff and Maxim UK, refused to reply to an e-mail from The Globe and Mail sent to his personal account requesting an interview (as well as a short game of Canadian trivia). Instead, he forwarded the message to a Fox publicist, who responded on his behalf.

“He's not doing interviews,” the spokeswoman said. She noted that the offending segment of Mr. Gutfeld's chat show was broadcast nearly one week ago, then hung up the phone.

Mr. Mercer said the fact that Red Eye airs in the middle of the night is a sign that its creator isn't experiencing “the pinnacle of success.”

Jennifer Whalen, head writer for the award-winning Canadian comedy series This Hour Has 22 Minutes, said she thought the segment was “sad.”

“Americans making fun of Canada is so lame,” she said. “They've been doing the same joke for 100 years. They need to get a new one.”

Both Ms. Whalen and Mr. Mercer are aligned in their belief that the Canadian military is not a taboo subject for comedians. However, Ms. Whalen said Mr. Gutfeld's crew reduced themselves “to the level of schoolyard bully talk.”

“Their comments were so ignorant that it's just not even worth replying to,” she said.

Still, many Canadians have gone online to express their disdain – Bill Schulz, another of the Red Eye panelists lashed out yesterday, blogging this: “To all Canadians that keep emailing R u really from the land of SCTV an[d] jim carrey? Lighten the **** up.”

In Edmonton, a west-end comedy club cancelled an upcoming booking scheduled for Doug Benson, another member of the panel, who said “I didn't even know they were in the war. I thought that's where you go when you don't want to fight. Go chill in Canada,” he said.

IN QUOTES: GREG GUTFELD

“My apologies to the Canadian military, they probably could at least beat the Belgians.”

–On twitter.com Monday “The idea is simple. We just sit down and talk about junk. We have no props, no high end production values, no huge guest stars. I am the most inexperienced talk show host in the history of television. I'd describe it as a chat show for miscreants.”

–On Red Eye in The Guardian newspaper “I feel like I'm a lion tamer holding chain saws. … It's somewhat similar to somebody who's lost his mind. … I'm a complete maniac. You may disagree with me, but you can't stop watching. … I don't even think you have to like the show to get sucked in.”

–On the format of his show, in The New York Observer “Imagine going to a really dull ****tail party filled with self-obsessed smackheads who care more about their feelings than the issues … and throwing up on the sofa. That's kind of what it's like. I show up at this party and throw up on the sofa. Except instead of vomit, you get the truth. Truth-vomit, really.”

–On blogging at the Huffington Post, from the U.S. conservative website humanevents.com “I cannot believe no one has done a really funny, smart, honest news magazine. I could do it in my sleep. Why doesn't some one give me a few million dollars right now, and I will launch the best magazine on the planet?”

–From humanevents.com “My life in New York has run its natural course. I have done all the drugs, drunk all the booze, slept with all the women, yelled at all the cabbies and kicked all the rats along 43rd Street. I have used all of Manhattan up. And vice versa.” –From Mr. Gutfeld's book Lessons from the Land of Pork Scratchings Compiled by Jessica Leeder

Let me know if I win. But, it's an honor just to be nominated

:adoration:

As long as I'm around, you may have to be patient for that win. :D

I love Canada and Canadians, and am grateful for their friendship. :)

I love America and Americans, and am grateful for so much. :cool:

And I love all of zoony's posts. :evilg: :laugh:

Now that I know the show aired before the deaths, it's fine by me. It's a joke. And Vicious, this isn't 1942. Canada's military is a joke. A year off??? And yes the anchors were right when they said, "the only reason they can do this is because they have a border with us."

The apology is damn funny though.

Canada is the size of one big city in China/India... Why do they need a military?

I heard their not all allowed to be on the same boat at once for security reasons...

Canada is actually the second largest nation on earth next to Russia with regards to land mass. Canada also has the second largest proven oil reserves next to Saudi Arabia. Poplation wise it's only 34th largest, compared the the United States which is the third most populous country on earth.

Canada is actually the second largest nation on earth next to Russia with regards to land mass. Canada also has the second largest proven oil reserves next to Saudi Arabia. Poplation wise it's only 34th largest, compared the the United States which is the third most populous country on earth.

And the further from the United States line the lower the population.

I'd bet 80% of Canada is within 200 miles of the border. Relatively small.

Yep, I think that's accurate. The US is Canada's largest trading partner and most of the economic activity is along the boarder....

I would argue however that Canada is one of the eight largest economies in the world, and is a world leader in many ways. The only way one can really make the case they are a back water is to compare them to the United States which really isn't fair. The United States is the #1 economy in the world, it's #3 population wise, and our military is #1 capability wise. The United States can make any country look like a back water by comparison. I don't think I'm exagerating either. Compare Canada to any other country than the US and you see they are a world leader and deservidly so.

the number I remember hearing in school is 90% within 250 miles. The only major city north of that 250 mile limit would be Edmonton at about 385 miles north of the border.

If CNN or MSNBC had said this about soldiers, conservatives would be in an uproar. Considering its their baby FoxNews, of course they will play it off. Sad.
Wait...I heard Rupert Murdoch had replaced Fox's management with liberals from Hollywood?

Wasn't that reported the other day?:hysterical:

Archived