Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox news Mocks Canadian Military

artmonkforHOF

Exactly. They volunteered to help us. So isn't that even more respectable than if they had been forced to fight?

No. They volunteered to fight the WOT. As did over 100 other countries.

They are doing this for themselves (and to make the world a better place) not necessarily to help us only.

The taliban was defeated? then who the hell is making all those road side bombs and launching RPG attacks at Canadian bases? Muslims against hockey playing nations?

The Taliban was largely defeated and in hiding for a few years after the start of the war. The insurgency started back up again (in force) around 2006.

Just checked and Wiki agrees, lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban_insurgency#2006_Escalation

Since the start of 2006 Afghanistan has been facing a wave of attacks by improvised explosives and suicide bombers, particularly after NATO took command of the fight against insurgents in spring 2006.

Of course, the US and the US Military does nothing for Canada or Canadian interests abroad or at home.

It's all on Canada. They're helping, and those **** Americans just aren't grateful! And we mock them at every turn!!! I mean, Fox News made a joke! ****S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we should execute the executives at Fox News. Pinochet style. Then, we should all send flowers to Canada. Thank them for all they do for us, and apologize profusely for the actions of Fox News.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

P.S. I loved reading the bogus outrage from the local hacks on here...If this was any other channel saying this you wouldn't hear a peep from them.

Fox News does not air in Canada?

Really? I see a lot of letters written in to the O[Reilly Show from viewers from Canada telling him to go pound salt...where do they watch Fox News? I've also watched the news channel overseas on more than one occasion...

I just think about how much people flip a **** if someone makes a joke about the US military and don't understand the double standard here. I guess because the US is better than everyone we have different standards?

No, because the "news show" the joke was aired on is not even a news show. It's a stupid comedy show on the news channel. It's like taking offense to something Jon Stewart says on his show, like he's serious, or a legit news source...

Don't let it bother you too much. Ask the men and women of the U.S. Military what they think about the Canadian contingent and it would be of respect and high praise. Your special forces - especially your snipers, saved more than a few of our butts in Afghanistan.

IIRC, a Canadian sniper actually holds the record for farthest killshot.

If CNN or MSNBC had said this about soldiers, conservatives would be in an uproar. Considering its their baby FoxNews, of course they will play it off. Sad.

What's worse is, other international news channels mocking our President (mostly GWB) and Americans joining in on the fun.

Now we have a news channel that tries to make a a funny about an allies military and Americans are up in arms.

What a joke.

No, because the "news show" the joke was aired on is not even a news show. It's a stupid comedy show on the news channel. It's like taking offense to something Jon Stewart says on his show, like he's serious, or a legit news source...

while Conservitives can identify what redeye and the daily show are, Im not so sure leftists can make those distinctions since they are so open minded.

The Canadian military benefits from the Uniteds States Armed Forces FAAAARRRRR more than we benefit from them. They lack training facilities, we provide them. They lack training programs, we train their guys at cut-rate cost. They lack adequate helicopters to conduct operations in Afghanistan, we provide them with CH-47Ds at bargain basement prices. I'm not going to argue over any of this, because I've personally trained a bunch of Canadian aviation mechanics and probably know more about it than most Canadian citizens. Let's also not forget that Canada can make do with a pretty tiny military for its size because it has a big brother next door who will kick anyone's ass if they mess with them.

I'm sure most Americans really appreciate the help that Canada extends, but let's put it into the proper light. They benefit greatly from helping us out, and we benefit by having a close ally in international affairs.

The United States spends about 10 times on our military than the next largest military spender in the world. And as of 2009, the majority of the countries who spend about 1/10th of the US are strong US allies..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

US ------- 651 Billion on military spending.

China --------70 Billion.

UK ---------- 61.5 Billion.

France------- 61.2 Billion.

Russia ------- 50 Billion...

In fact all of those countries have Most favored trade status with the US and a few of them have a permanent MFTS.

Anyway, Of coarse the US is better armed and trained and possesses a more potent force. The US outspends Canada by roughly 40-1. That's really not vaguely the point.

The point is Canada has a fine military and the Canadians take care of business. Canada for example lost about .4% of their entire population in WWII.. some 45,000 men. The United States lost .32% of our populaiton in that same war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

In WWI for example Canada suffered 66,944 military deaths compared to about twice as many for the United States. Think of that!! A country of 7 million ( in WWI ) suffered half as many deaths as a country of 90 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties

Canadians have nothing to appologize for with regards to their military.

First off I would take exception to anybody who called the Canadian military insufficient. Canada spends quite a bit on their military. 14th lartgest military spenders in the world, or about 1/3 the amount China spends on her military knowing China's population is about 40 times the size of Canadas.

Second off I would disagree that Canada is just "helping us out" in Afghanistan or that we started the war in Afghanistan. Canada is a NATO member and as such has a legal responsibility to take up arms to defend the other NATO member states. The US was attacked on 911 and the country which attacked us was Afghanistan... ( The taliban had been officially notified before the war that they would be held responsible for any actions committed by Al Quada and organization which they sheltered and protected from international organizations.. )

Thirdly, I would say your real mocking shouldn't be of the United States itself as there are many many Americans who do realize the sacrifices of our NATO member including Canada and France and others who objected to the Iraq war but non the less are standing at the plate with regard to Afghanistan. The folks you should be mocking is our news organizations which really don't cover the contributions, support, and sacrifices our allies have made on our behalf.

You should run for office or be in someone's public relations dept. This has to be one of the best examples of PC BS I've read since the Clinton Admin.

BTW, I wouldn't call training police and other non-combat roles as "standing at the plate." Also, there is no legal responsibility to "take up arms" within the treaty. Just like France who recently declined our request for combat troops in Afghanistan. I guess they want to only serve in areas where it is safe and drink beer all day like the Germans.

So say a bunch of US soldiers were killed and later that same day Jon Stewart makes a joke about how pathetic and futile the US military is. You don't think people would be pissed?

IIRC, a Canadian sniper actually holds the record for farthest killshot.

taht's because we don't have enough money to do 4 carpet bombing drops on an area, hoping we got all the bad guys. We need to be accurate, because we can not afford to waste ammunition.

And lets get that Canadian kid home so he can use his military training to take down a moose from 6 miles away.

taht's because we don't have enough money to do 4 carpet bombing drops on an area, hoping we got all the bad guys. We need to be accurate, because we can not afford to waste ammunition.

I think its because the sniper was pissed that he couldn't get mayo for his fries. That..or its something they put in the poutine.

;)

Really? I see a lot of letters written in to the O[Reilly Show from viewers from Canada telling him to go pound salt...where do they watch Fox News? I've also watched the news channel overseas on more than one occasion...

#1- a lot of Canadians steal American sat signals, like DirecTV & dish network. This is becoming less common now that we know how to steal the Canadian companies sat. signals, and our Supreme Court passed a law banning the companies from scrambling their signals.

#2-had I known Redeye, was a "right wing Daily Show" I would not have even posted this. Again, this is making the news rounds in Canada, and blame the Canadian media outlets for framing the story in such a way. I took the thread title directly from the article I posted.

I think its because the sniper was pissed that he couldn't get mayo for his fries. That..or its something they put in the poutine.

;)

Canadians like mayo on their fries? I though John Travolta taught us that the Dutch like mayo on their fries from Pulp Fiction.

oh, sorry, caught your edit in my response. Poutine. mmmmmmm. it's fires with cheese curds & gravy. so bad for you, but so damn tasty. I can only have about 2 per year, in fear I might go into cardiac arrest if I try to eat any more.

Let's also not forget that Canada can make do with a pretty tiny military for its size because it has a big brother next door who will kick anyone's ass if they mess with them.

And yet that's not remotely true. Canada with a population of 30 million people spends anually 19.5 billion on Defense. Big Bad China who the US press wants it's citizens to fear has a population of about 1.2 billion; or 1200 million, and spends only 60 Billion on defense.

Canada population wise is down around #40 in the world. Military spending wise they are 14th. I don't think any knowledgable person would claim they don't pull their weight.

But that bolded statement in your post really gets me. that is your point of view, another point of view is that Canada has a history of staying out of polarizing international issues, therefore no one really has anything against us.

Actually that's not exactly true either. Canada has a history of sticking her nose diplomatically into conflicts which don't concern her, and also backing up those diplomatic initiatives with peace keeping troops. Canada was in the Middle East on Israel's boarder, when we wouldn't go there. Canada was also involved in Africa and Eastern Europe before the US committed troops.

Canadians like mayo on their fries? I though John Travolta taught us that the Dutch like mayo on their fries from Pulp Fiction.

oh, sorry, caught your edit in my response. Poutine. mmmmmmm. it's fires with cheese curds & gravy. so bad for you, but so damn tasty. I can only have about 2 per year, in fear I might go into cardiac arrest if I try to eat any more.

All my canadian cousins like mayo instead of ketchup for their fries..

As for poutine..I still can't figure out why it hasn't caught on here in the states...

well, isn't it sorta true to that a lot of guys/gals who don't want to go to war, jump to Canada?

and BTW...the Red Eye show...they make fun of EVERYONE....both sides of the political spectrum...and I rarely watch it anymore. Sometimes I'll catch it by accident, then watch just to see who they are going to make fun of next.

artmonkhof, I understand that you're pretty insulted by a joke from a comedian on a late night gossip show amongst commentators that just happen to be on Fox News channel. It wasn't the most well thought out statement, but when you work with comedy that's just how it goes.

But I have found your comments far more insulting. When you make statements like, "we're cleaning up YOUR mess" and "a war YOU started but forgot to finish"... I don't wan't to hear some BS that you were actually talking about the Red Eye gossip panelists.

Just how are these comments isolated to the Red Eye panelists? Is their government somehow different from every other American's? Is their military somehow different from the military that protects me?

NO!!!!

And then you have the BALLS to say you were talking about the panelists, not making a sweeping statement about all Americans, as if to defer your INCREDIBLY poorly worded statements at them in particular excuses you from being an *******.

Whatever these panelists have said in poor taste, you crossed the same line and then some.

No, I didn't "misunderstand" your comments, I didn't "take it the wrong way". I took it exactly how you intended those words to mean.

Man-up and apologize. It was a poor joke on Canada's military but you've made some direct attacks on America that I find disgusting.

And yet that's not remotely true. Canada with a population of 30 million people spends anually 19.5 billion on Defense. Big Bad China who the US press wants it's citizens to fear has a population of about 1.2 billion; or 1200 million, and spends only 60 Billion on defense.

Canada population wise is down around #40 in the world. Military spending wise they are 14th. I don't think any knowledgable person would claim they don't pull their weight.

Actually that's not exactly true either. Canada has a history of sticking her nose diplomatically into conflicts which don't concern her, and also backing up those diplomatic initiatives with peace keeping troops. Canada was in the Middle East on Israel's boarder, when we wouldn't go there. Canada was also involved in Africa and Eastern Europe before the US committed troops.

the key word is peacekeeping. We go with blue helmets from NATO, with the mandate only to fire if being fired upon. That puts us in a hard situation when one of the rivaling factions realizes that they can go on killing their foes out of sight, and the NATO forces are powerless to stop them.

If CNN or MSNBC had said this about soldiers, conservatives would be in an uproar. Considering its their baby FoxNews, of course they will play it off. Sad.

I call BS...I've seen Red Eye make fun of OUR military. like I just posted before, they are stupid and make fun of everyone...and I'm not about to sift through hours of tape to find you an example, but If I catch it again, I'll PM you a link if you like.:silly:

Ok so blast the OP. Don't blast Canada or its military when it just lost four of its best and had eight others injured.

Wait wait wait, we're not "allowed" to crack jokes about the Canadian military as a whole because it lost four guys? Seriously? What's the time limit on this? No deaths for a week, jokes are A-OK again? If France loses a few, do we have to shelve all surrender jokes for a month?

Sorry, you're connecting things that shouldn't be connected. No one should joke about the deaths or the soldiers themselves - they gave the ultimate sacrifice in a war to try to keep their countrymen (and ours, too) safe. I have nothing but respect for them doing something that I'd probably wet my pants trying to do myself. But if you're gonna tell me that I can't throw out some sort of Mountie zinger that's nothing more than a playful joke that I would expect to be returned in kind about some sort of American stereotype, I'm gonna tell you that you can stop reading if it supposedly offends you so much.

So say a bunch of US soldiers were killed and later that same day Jon Stewart makes a joke about how pathetic and futile the US military is. You don't think people would be pissed?

Do you have any idea how many military-related jokes Stewart has used during the whole WoT?

Zoony, how would I know this when Fox News does not air in Canada?

to tell the truth, I now feel stupid for for posting a thread where I took the comments of a "comedy" show seriouslly, .

glad you can admit that you posted without doing due dilligence. It's ok, it happens alot on here. Anyone can take anything out of context, and therefore piss off a ton of people.

I think it's funny to watch people bash any news channel, THEY DON"T WATCH...(that's why I watch MSNBC, so I know what they are saying, and can disagree honestly).

And for Zoony's take on your slinging **** toward America...yeah, you have.

Archived