Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox news Mocks Canadian Military

artmonkforHOF

Wait wait wait, we're not "allowed" to crack jokes about the Canadian military as a whole because it lost four guys? Seriously? What's the time limit on this? No deaths for a week, jokes are A-OK again? If France loses a few, do we have to shelve all surrender jokes for a month?

Sorry, you're connecting things that shouldn't be connected. No one should joke about the deaths or the soldiers themselves - they gave the ultimate sacrifice in a war to try to keep their countrymen (and ours, too) safe. I have nothing but respect for them doing something that I'd probably wet my pants trying to do myself. But if you're gonna tell me that I can't throw out some sort of Mountie zinger that's nothing more than a playful joke that I would expect to be returned in kind about some sort of American stereotype, I'm gonna tell you that you can stop reading if it supposedly offends you so much.

Uh yeah, I think the same day is pretty lame and tasteless.

Do you have any idea how many military-related jokes Stewart has used during the whole WoT?

Now Canada's population is roughly a tenth of ours. So while 4 people might not sound like a lot to us, based on the numbers it is for them. So say 30 US soldiers are killed and Jon Stewart goes on air that same night cracking jokes about how stupid our military is. That wouldn't be tasteless?

Do you have any idea how many military-related jokes Stewart has used during the whole WoT?

Yeah really. He hasn't come out and directly called out the military, but many jokes over the past few years have leaned towards suggesting that their efforts are pretty futile in the middle east. But I don't really mind Stewart all that much.

Bill Maher is far more insulting in my opinion. I really find the man disgusting.

So say a bunch of US soldiers were killed and later that same day Jon Stewart makes a joke about how pathetic and futile the US military is. You don't think people would be pissed?

I took the joke as being from the Canadian miliatry taking a year off, (to paint their toenails), not that they died....but I can't see the youtube video yet.

Uh yeah, I think the same day is pretty lame and tasteless.

Should we ban other branches of the military from using the phrase "Chair Force" for a couple of weeks every time someone in the AF is killed? Maybe we should make sure everyone's in a tizzy the next time someone makes a crack about the Coast Guard not really being part of the military if it's less than a month after a CG death. I mean, they're both just so... related.

#2-had I known Redeye, was a "right wing Daily Show" I would not have even posted this. Again, this is making the news rounds in Canada, and blame the Canadian media outlets for framing the story in such a way. I took the thread title directly from the article I posted.

maybe next time go to the source. Fox news has a website you know.

]Now Canada's population is roughly a tenth of ours. So while 4 people might not sound like a lot to us, based on the numbers it is for them. So say 30 US soldiers are killed and Jon Stewart goes on air that same night cracking jokes about how stupid our military is. That wouldn't be tasteless?

If the jokes are in response to the military doing something stupid and have nothing whatsoever to do with the deaths?

Let me see here....

No.

Should we ban other branches of the military from using the phrase "Chair Force" for a couple of weeks every time someone in the AF is killed? Maybe we should make sure everyone's in a tizzy the next time someone makes a crack about the Coast Guard not really being part of the military if it's less than a month after a CG death. I mean, they're both just so... related.

Again, you're on the couple of weeks thing. I'm talking about the same day. And I added to my last post.

The joke was about how the Canadian military was a joke.

and it was a joke....

seriously. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, but the double standard is hilarious. Hang him from a tree and burn them down dammit!! they made a stupid joke.

Yet the "left" says some really really ****ed up things all the time about the "right" and they are defended.

If you can dish it out, then learn how to take it.

Again, you're on the couple of weeks thing. I'm talking about the same day. And I added to my last post.

Yes, because it ties into my whole "Is there a time limit? Does offensive become unoffensive 24 hours and one minute later? 48 hours? 72?" thing.

and it was a joke....

seriously. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, but the double standard is hilarious. Hang him from a tree and burn them down dammit!! they made a stupid joke.

Yet the "left" says some really really ****ed up things all the time about the "right" and they are defended.

If you can dish it out, then learn how to take it.

Huh? What exactly am I supposed to be taking?

maybe next time go to the source. Fox news has a website you know.

Vast majority of fox news bashers take what commentators say as how the network runs, as if what Sean Hannity says has any bearing on how the news network as a whole conducts itself.

There's a news portion and there's a commentary portion. Someone actually had the balls to tell me that they know Fox News (news portion) is also biased because during the actual occurence of Hurricane Katrina Fox News didn't report that there was a hurricane occuring at all.

Stupidity really shocks me sometimes.

Yes, because it ties into my whole "Is there a time limit? Does offensive become unoffensive 24 hours and one minute later? 48 hours? 72?" thing.

That's actually a good question. That I don't have an answer to and that there isn't really a single answer to. I guess it's just personal preference. I think with all tragedies there seems to be a time limit on when jokes can be made. But that time limit does seem to vary depending on the tragedy.

What determines taste?

artmonkhof, I understand that you're pretty insulted by a joke from a comedian on a late night gossip show amongst commentators that just happen to be on Fox News channel. It wasn't the most well thought out statement, but when you work with comedy that's just how it goes.

But I have found your comments far more insulting. When you make statements like, "we're cleaning up YOUR mess" and "a war YOU started but forgot to finish"... I don't wan't to hear some BS that you were actually talking about the Red Eye gossip panelists.

Just how are these comments isolated to the Red Eye panelists? Is their government somehow different from every other American's? Is their military somehow different from the military that protects me?

NO!!!!

And then you have the BALLS to say you were talking about the panelists, not making a sweeping statement about all Americans, as if to defer your INCREDIBLY poorly worded statements at them in particular excuses you from being an *******.

Whatever these panelists have said in poor taste, you crossed the same line and then some.

No, I didn't "misunderstand" your comments, I didn't "take it the wrong way". I took it exactly how you intended those words to mean.

Man-up and apologize. It was a poor joke on Canada's military but you've made some direct attacks on America that I find disgusting.

I do owe you an apology for a poorly worded statement. The intent was to point out to whoever was ignorant enough to believe the crap that came from the panelist mouth to remember why Canada was in Afgan in the first place. America decided to go to war with the taliban in afganistan after 9/11, doesn't make much sense to me since most of the bombers where from Saudi Arabia, but that's an argument for another thread.

So I do apoligize for making an ignorant, insensitive comment in my opening post. I only apologize now knowing that whatever is said on this RedEye program should not be taken seriouslly. Your post is an example of how offended a person can be at insensitive ignorant remarks, which is what I thought of the comments from RedEye. my comments whre an "ignorant eye, for an ignorant eye", which only seemed fair at the time. With news that this "news show" is not really news, makes me feel stupid, and betrayed by Canadian media outlets painting this as factual reporting.

well, isn't it sorta true to that a lot of guys/gals who don't want to go to war, jump to Canada?

In Vietnam when the US had a draft, some 20-30,000 young Americans avoided the draft by moving to Canada. During this time the total number of Americans who moved to Canada because the were against the war numbers between 50,000, and 100,000. Jimmy Carter signed a general amnesty for the draft dodgers in 1977 and about half of them returned home and half stayed in Canada.

As far as Iraq and Afghanistan, the Canadian court system has declaired since their is no draft in the US, US Servicemen traveling to Canada to avoid being deployed overseas are subject to extradition laws with the United States. As already stated Canada's armed services have been deployed to Afghanistan for more than seven years.

the key word is peacekeeping. We go with blue helmets from NATO, with the mandate only to fire if being fired upon. That puts us in a hard situation when one of the rivaling factions realizes that they can go on killing their foes out of sight, and the NATO forces are powerless to stop them.

My point was that Canada uses their armed forces. They put a significant part of their budget behind their military, and they use them around the world when they think they can make the situation better. They are actually historically, bolder than the US with regards to where and how often they deploy troops.

US Doctrine since Beruit has been if we can't go in with a substantial force, we don't go in at all. Canada puts their guys at risk all the time with a few hundred or few thousand guys.

I remember back in the 1990's when Canadian forces were shelled by Israel. Israel claimed it was an accident. Canadian forces documented a drone flying over their position before and during the shelling. Israel basically did it in purpose. Hezbo's were running into the Canadian refugee facility after firing rockets and Israel decided to shell them Canadians or no Canadians. As Israel is want to do.

Madson-1--NAC-173029.jpg[

Another Example... Here is a picture of Canadian troops in the Boer War in South Africa in 1902.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo6/no2/history-histoire-eng.asp

When the Americans invaded Canada, Canada whipped their ass. When Hitler was ravaging Europe and exterminating millions of people, Canada joined the war. It wasn't until two years later when pearl harbor occurred did America declare war. 42,000 of them were dead by the end of the war.

Canadians military is a joke.. heh.. sure.

The show aired on March 17th...

A couple days before those troops died.

Well then I take back everything I've said. Epic fail on my part. Thanks for the fyi.

EDIT: You know, thinking about it some more, I don't take back EVERYTHING I've said. I still think it's pretty lame to make fun of the Canadian military when they're helping us fight.

I do owe you an apology for a poorly worded statement. The intent was to point out to whoever was ignorant enough to believe the crap that came from the panelist mouth to remember why Canada was in Afgan in the first place. America decided to go to war with the taliban in afganistan after 9/11, doesn't make much sense to me since most of the bombers where from Saudi Arabia, but that's an argument for another thread.

Under the Clinton Administration Al Quada became known for terrorist acts against American Targets. In North Africa, in Yeman, and in Saudi Arabia itself. At this time the US leaned on the Taliban to hand over Al Quada and they refused. The United States and NATO informed Afghanistan that she would be held responsible for any act of terrorism that Al Quada committed from that point onwards.

That's why NATO invaded Afghanistan, Not because the US got a wild hair.

So I do apoligize for making an ignorant, insensitive comment in my opening post. I only apologize now knowing that whatever is said on this RedEye program should not be taken seriouslly. Your post is an example of how offended a person can be at insensitive ignorant remarks, which is what I thought of the comments from RedEye. my comments whre an "ignorant eye, for an ignorant eye", which only seemed fair at the time. With news that this "news show" is not really news, makes me feel stupid, and betrayed by Canadian media outlets painting this as factual reporting.

I think the general point that most Americans are ignorant of Canada's sacrifices, likewise French Sacrifices on our behalf in Afghanistan is accurate non the less. It's not really so much a anti Canadian and anti French issue; rather it's an educational one. Most American highschoolers can't tell you the historical importance of Pearl Harbor. Problem is the ignorance allows the anti foreign government positions to fester.

Archived