Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ted Leonsis: How to build a team

PokerPacker

I agree with your post. You can't convince me Vinny an NFL GM would pick all those gator QB's and receivers and trung as a running back. There was more to that story than Vinnie making all of those decisions. You can dislike Vinnie all you want, but to say he was a gator lover is a little naive.
Read and weep. link

We got the ex-gators for one reason. In the immortal words of Spurrier "They were cheap and available". Check out my previous post. Danny fired one, Vinny fired another guy without Spurrier knowing. Spurrier wasn't in control.

haha, why the hell is hailgreen's article from the baltimore sun VIA China's Business Newspaper? I could probably only think of maybe 3 or 4 things less relevant to china's business news than the steve spurrier/redskins "spending spree"
Because a lot of the original quotes to news that old is often missing from the primary source, or requires a subscription to the archives.

I just picked the first example I could find of the info I was looking for.

One thing has changed. Next year's draft is still intact minus a 6th. (well atleast for the time being there have been no draft pick trades brewing, although it will be quite a few months before the 2010 draft) If it weren't for Daniels going down they would still have 12356 this year.

After adding Haynes and Dock to the Lines they have been greatly bolstered. Adding another Vet on the O-line or keeping Kendall plus drafting an OL in the 1st would greatly improve the O-line. If Montgomery and Golston stay that would go a long way toward having a great D-Line in 09. The only real holes then would be DE depth and RB depth.

09 is truely going to come down to Campbell. I like what have seen thus far. The long ball is going to be the end all tell all. Not sure last season if it was the play calling or Campbell's lack of confidence that was the reason for having no big passing plays.

Having fewer question marks headed into 09 should make for a far better campaign though. :helmet:

I think this is a GREAT POST as well. The Caps looked poised to be able to do what they do for the duration of Leonsis time there. It reminds me of how Pittsburgh is always in the running for the Super Bowl. A plan has been set up and they follow it year in and year out. I wont go as far as to say We(Redskins) do not have a plan, however, I would like the type of plan Ted has laid out better than what we currently have. Redskins fans are always wondering what we are going to do in Free Agency, in the draft, with trades. We are consistently overly upset or elated over moves only for them to lead to mediocrity. Like now, we have a West Coast coach with a run first line and running back and a play action passing quarterback. Are we gonna go all the way West Coast or not? Our defense, is good but what kind is it? Sometimes it seems like we are a pressure D, sometimes a bend dont break. I think we are a zone type D against the pas but our corners (Smoot, Rogers, Springs) all like man-2-man. Anybody still having flashbacks of Smoot playing 10 yards off and back peddling as fast as he can on 3rd and 8's this year? I love the Skins but I dont know what our identity is. At least Ted has an identity for the Caps and everyone in their organization knows it and apparently the media as well.

Does anyone think we can win the Super Bowl without an identity? or better yet, what is our team identity?

It all boils down to the same issue. We dont have a GM. Last real GM decision maker was Schottenheimer and Danny fired him after one season because Marty would not let Danny into the conference room when he made personnel decisions.

Longest post I've ever seen.

Bottom line, the Caps drafted well in the recent past. Ovechkin is the best player to come along since Gretzky and we have good complements to his game: assist guys, scorers who can step up and take pressure off him, enforcers to keep him healthy, and attacking defensemen who keep the defense from overloading on him. You can't compare building a hockey team to a football team outside of saying, "focus on the draft." What's needed to make championship teams in both sports are completely different.

You can't go about building a football team the same way because of the lack of a minor league system, which is a key to the Capitals model. It doesn't matter though either way, the main thing to take away from all of this is that you MUST have a plan. You've gotta have a plan, you've gotta stick to the plan and it has to be successful.

It's all about formulating a successful plan and implementing a system and then getting players that fit into that system. Going out and just collecting random players from random other systems(no matter how proven they were in another system) and building your core around those random players is just dumb and it breeds mediocrity. The Redskins as they're constructed now are about as backwards as you can get when you look at the models of other successful pro sports teams and unless they formulate a plan and implement a legitimate system they'll continue to finish every year between 5-11 and 9-7. Never good enough to be elite, and never bad enough to get a bonefide franchise player, like an Ovechkin for example. It's not the best way to do things in my opinion. It's near impossible to win a championship that way.

And thats just absurd :chair:

Leonsis spoke at my high school graduation. I'll sum up the speech for you.. he talks to mentally retarded people through email, one of his life goals was to play Jordan 1vs1 in bball(which he did), he promoted AOL.

This thread is wrong. Leonsis did not build the Capitals. George McPhee and Dick Patrick (Lincoln Holdings LLC) built the Caps. Leonsis was busy with his failing company.

Are the caps a good team right now? - Yes (40-19-5) first in division and second in conference.

Are they exciting to watch? - Yes

Do I feel like I get my dollar value back when I go to games - Yes

Do I dread the day after games - No

How did they get to where they are? - Traded high priced vets with tread still on the tires for low draft picks and hit on those picks.

What else? - Got a coach who put in a scheme that benefited the players on the roster.

What else? - They have a GM and very good talent scouts.

How long are they going to have to make a run? - Since most players are under 24 years old, they have several years to be competitive and make a run before their salaries balloon or the players become too old. Talent on the lines runs very deep. Call up from Hersey have filled in and played well this year.

Are the skins a good team right now? - ehhh 8-8 crumbled second half of season

Are they exciting to watch? - Yes and no

Do I feel like I get my dollar value back when I go to games - No

Do I dread the day after games - Yes

How did they get to where they are? - Traded draft pics for expensive vets.

What else? - Got a coach who put in a scheme that did not fit some of the players on the roster.

What else? - They do not have a GM and or very good talented college scouts. (college is minor league football and can compare to minor league hockey)

How long are they going to have to make a run? - Since most players are over 30 years old, they only a year or two to be competitive and make a run before their salaries balloon and they become too old and injury prone. Huge drop off in talent at most positions when looking at backups.

So to sum it up. Ted/McFee went the Fantasy Hockey route and they decided it was wrong and unproductive. They blew up the team before the strike year and drafted well with the picks the received in trade.

Snyder/Cerrato are back on the Fantasy Football kick again and now have a ballooning salary cap and only a short amount of time to make a run before the salaries and age catch up with the team again.

The Caps have a better shot at the cup this year and next than the Redskins will have a shot at the superbowl in 09.

We aint gonna do **** this year without a goalie I'll tell you that much, letting Huet get away was a big mistake.

I strongly disagree with that. We offered Huet exactly what he asked for, but then he wanted more and went to Chicago. He wanted a 3-year deal, which is too long for someone in a temporary position. Jose Theodore started the season pretty poorly for us, but he's since turned it around and become the goalie we paid for. He's only got two years on his contract and is costing us less money than Huet would have. This gives our high-potential goaltending prospects Simeon Varlamov and Michael Neuvirth the opportunity to come into the league and find their place in the team.

We aint gonna do **** this year without a goalie I'll tell you that much, letting Huet get away was a big mistake.

Huet completely played the FO to get more money from Chicago. Can't blame anyone for letting him walk, especially since the Caps met his original demands.

What the team needs is to have the ability to recall Alzner and get a couple dedicated Defensive players. Not scoring Defensive players, but uglies. Theodore has been playing much better than his numbers have looked lately. Plus, we seem to have two young goalies with a ton of promise.

I just can't see how anyone can say, with a straight face, that the Redskins' FO somehow has more promise than that of the Caps.

• 1 month later...

I guess Teddy should have focussed on what matters in playoff hockey.

Dominant defensive play and lights out goaltending.

I am a huge Caps fan, but have had more Capitals disappointments in my lifetime than Redskins disappointments.

Maybe Teddy and GMGM focus this offseason on finding a nasty defender, a second goaltender after we dump Theo, and an established winner like Federov.

The Capitals can light up the lamp at times but are pillow soft. We need some players with grit and a mean streak.

Less talking Teddy...until we win something.

It's a pretty young team, so this type of stuff is expected. With experience, the Caps will get better. Yes, it's true that need better defense, but I gotta say Varlamov was very impressive today. Sure, the Caps lost, but I felt that the game was very entertaining.

It's a pretty young team, so this type of stuff is expected. With experience, the Caps will get better. Yes, it's true that need better defense, but I gotta say Varlamov was very impressive today. Sure, the Caps lost, but I felt that the game was very entertaining.

Agreed.

The point of this thread is still as strong as ever.

The Caps are going to compete for a Cup year in and year out for the forseeable future because of the great work the FO has done in drafting talent. Still a stark contrast to the way Snyder runs things with the Redskins.

Also with regards to this particular series, the Caps are dominating the Rangers. Seriously, watch the games and they are kicking their collective asses.

Two men have put the Caps in the hole they are in.

Game 1 was Theodore.

Game 2 was Lundqvist who just shut the door.

• 5 months later...

I've never been a huge hockey fan but my cousin is a huge one and he writes a blog for them called Capitals Kremlin (lame plug I know:silly:)

But as a fellow Redskins fan he was telling me about Ted Leonsis and how much he's done for the Capitals. Committed to a rebuilding effort, invested in young talent, build through the draft, etc. And after following them pretty extensively this past year and going to some games it's clear the fan base has bought into his plan. So I came across an article from Hogs Haven where they interviewed Leonsis and he provided a pretty comprehensive 10-point rebuilding plan. He provided it from the perspective of a hockey owner, but much of what he says can be applied to the NFL. Here it is and the link to the original article as well:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/26/772915/ted-leonsis-shares-his-ten

What I have learned about a rebuild to date: A 10 point plan. A Washington Capitals perspective:

1. Ask yourself the big question: "Can this team--as constructed--ever win a championship?" If the answer is yes -- stay the course and try to find the right formula -- if the answer is no, then plan to rebuild. Don't fake it--really do the analytics and be brutally honest. Once you have your answer, develop the game plan to try to REALLY win a championship. Always run away from experts that say, "We are just one player away." Recognize there is no easy and fast systemic fix. It will be a bumpy ride--have confidence in the plan--"trust and verify: the progress -- but don't deviate from the plan."

2. Once you make the decision to rebuild--be transparent. Articulate the plan and sell it loudly and proudly to all constituencies, the media, the organization, the fans, your partners, family and anyone who will listen. Agree to what makes for a successful rebuild--in our case it is "a great young team with upside that can make the playoffs for a decade and win a Stanley Cup or two."

3. Once you decide to rebuild--bring the house down to the foundation--be consistent with your plan--and with your asks--we always sought to get "a pick and a prospect" in all of our trades. We believed that volume would yield better results than precision. We decided to trade multiple stars at their prime or peak to get a large volume of young players. Young players will get better as they age, so you have built in upside. Youngsters push vets to play better to keep their jobs, and they stay healthier, and they are more fun--less jaded by pro sports.

4. Commit to building around the draft. Invest in scouting, development, and a system. Articulate that system and stay with it so that all players feel comfortable-- know the language-- know what is expected of them-- read the Oriole Way*. It worked and it is a great tutorial. Draft players that fit the system, not the best player. Draft the best player for the system. Don't deviate or get seduced by agents, media demands, or by just stats or hype. Envision how this player will slide into your system.

5. Be patient with young players-- throw them in the pool to see if they can swim. Believe in them. Show them loyalty. Re-sign the best young players to long term high priced deals. Show the players you are very loyal to them as compared to free agents who achieved highly for another team. Teach them. Celebrate their successes. Use failures as a way to teach and improve. Coaches must be tough but kind to build confidence.

6. Make sure the GM, coach, owner and business folks are on the EXACT same page as to deliverables, metrics of success, ultimate goal, process and measured outcomes. Always meet to discuss analytics and don't be afraid of the truth that the numbers reveal. Manage to outcomes. Manage to let the GM and coach NOT be afraid of taking risks, and make sure there are no surprises. Over communicate. Act like an ethnic family--battle around the dinner table--never in public. Be tight as a team. Protect and enhance each other. Let the right people do their jobs.

7. No jerks allowed. Implement a no jerk policy. Draft and develop and keep high character people. Team chemistry is vital to success. Make sure the best and highest paid players are coachable, show respect to the system, want to be in the city, love to welcome new, young players to the team, have respect for the fan base, show joy in their occupation, get the system, believe in the coaches, have fun in practice, and want to be gym rats. Dump quickly distractions. Life is too short to drink bad wine.

8. Add veterans to the team via shorter term deals as free agents. Signing long-term, expensive deals for vets is very risky. We try to add vets to the mix for two year or three year deals. They fill in around our young core. They are very important for leadership, but they must complement the young core (NOT try to overtake them or be paid more than them). Identify and protect the core. Add veterans to complement them, not visa versa.

9. Measure and improve. Have shared metrics--know what the progress is--and where it ranks on the timeline-- be honest in all appraisals; don't be afraid to trade young assets for other draft picks to build back end backlog-- know the aging of contracts-- protect "optionality" to make trades at deadlines or in off season; never get in cap jail. Having dry powder is very important to make needed moves.

10. Never settle--never rest--keep on improving. Around the edges to the plan, have monthly, quarterly and annual check ups. Refresh the plan when needed but for the right reasons-- "how are we doing against our metrics of success and where are we on our path to a championship." Never listen to bloggers, media, so called experts--to thine own self be true. Enjoy the ride.

Archived