Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ted Leonsis: How to build a team

PokerPacker

Hockey is completely different than football. Before the great 8 arrived some fans wanted to run the guy outta town.

But you can take his over-arching themes and apply them to football. Sign veterans to short term contracts for example means not giving Brunell a 7-year deal when he's about to turn 34.

Or either fully committing to a rebuilding effort or trying to win that championship. Don't get stuck in the middle your foundation has to be strong. And with this team our foundation is overpaid veteran players, that is a recipe for disaster and not something you can build a team around.

It took Ted a while to figure it out also but at least at one point, he got it and now the Caps are in great shape.

But when he did he now has a winning formula for his franchise. Snyder still hasn't figured it out and I don't think ever will. He's caught in this perpetual state of mind that he can just buy his victories and bring in coach after coach. Leonsis recognizes that a foundation has to be laid for success and look at the Caps. They've got that with Ovie, Semin, Backstrom, Varlamov, and then he mixes some good veteran players like Knuble.

But you can take his over-arching themes and apply them to football. Sign veterans to short term contracts for example means not giving Brunell a 7-year deal when he's about to turn 34.

Or either fully committing to a rebuilding effort or trying to win that championship. Don't get stuck in the middle your foundation has to be strong. And with this team our foundation is overpaid veteran players, that is a recipe for disaster and not something you can build a team around.

The reason you give an old Scott Brunell that kind of contract is because you can cut him in about 3-4 years into that deal without taking a huge cap hit. I get the gist of what he's saying, but it really can't be compared.

But when he did he now has a winning formula for his franchise. Snyder still hasn't figured it out and I don't think ever will. He's caught in this perpetual state of mind that he can just buy his victories and bring in coach after coach. Leonsis recognizes that a foundation has to be laid for success and look at the Caps. They've got that with Ovie, Semin, Backstrom, Varlamov, and then he mixes some good veteran players like Knuble.

And those guys have a chance to develop in a farm system. You don't have that luxury in football. And it dosen't hurt to have the best player in the world to lay that foundation.

Ted Leonsis, Vinny Cerrato.. what's the difference? Neither know anything about football.

Neither does Snyder.

The reason you give an old Scott Brunell that kind of contract is because you can cut him in about 3-4 years into that deal without taking a huge cap hit. I get the gist of what he's saying, but it really can't be compared.

Then you didn't read the whole piece. It went in-depth regarding draft and other things as well.

Hockey and football are two completely different animals. I appreciate the concepts, but it's just not comparable.

But yes .. the culture of this team is the problem. It starts at the very top with Dan Snyder. Joe Gibbs helped to give stability to Snyder. But it's apparent that now that Gibbs is gone, Snyder has learned N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

Comparing building an NHL team and building an NFL team is about as dumb a comparison as you can do.

As I have stated in many threads.

Caps got Ovechkin, without him they wouldn't be nearly as good. Ovechkin ws to the Caps what Lebron James was to Cleveland. An absolute sure thing and a franchise changer.

The Caps haven't won anything. As a matter of fact, last season they were doormats of the NHL, their were calls to FIRE George McPhee, and they were UNWATCHABLE. The team was in a shambles and attendance was down. They had to FIRE their head coach and get a LIGHTS OUT Goaltender to squeak into first place by the hair of their chin.

They still have no stanley cup goaltender on their roster.

Please lets stop the comparison. It's a dumb one. Even if they did win the Stanley Cup (which they haven't even come close) you can't compare a sport where you get to build a multi-tiered farm system, and get to pull "professional" players from other countrys "professional" leagues to come right and and play in the NHL. NFL has essentially one place to pull talent. Thats the draft.

The caps have now been good for one...count it *ONE* full season. Half of last year and half of this season. Let's see a little more than one season before we make Ted Leonsis out to be king. He has been owner longer than Snyder and has dissapointed just as much (for those of you who actually paid attention before NOW).

Don't agree. Not that Leonsis hasn't made mistakes. He has. The Jagr extension was a helluva mistake. But the difference is that he has LEARNED from his mistakes, where as Snyder hasn't. BTW, they had a bit of luck drafting Ovie since they jumped up in the lottery but they wouldn't have even been in the lottery but for the very controversial, and in hindsight very wise, decision to do the fire sale before the cap came in and rebuild from scratch.

I guess Teddy should have focussed on what matters in playoff hockey.

Dominant defensive play and lights out goaltending.

I am a huge Caps fan, but have had more Capitals disappointments in my lifetime than Redskins disappointments.

Maybe Teddy and GMGM focus this offseason on finding a nasty defender, a second goaltender after we dump Theo, and an established winner like Federov.

The Capitals can light up the lamp at times but are pillow soft. We need some players with grit and a mean streak.

Less talking Teddy...until we win something.

All you need to know is that Leonsis and Snyder have been owners of their respective teams about the same length of time. Neither team has been particularly good during that period and both owners had a learning curve for sure. HOWEVER, which team is in better shape now? Which owner can you say actually LEARNED something?

I don't get how people are saying "omg its so different." It really isn't. The concept for building a successful pro sports team in any sport is basically the same. Of course some things are different(different salary cap structures, trade rules, etc.)but the general concept is the same. I just read Teddy's plan and it just seems so obvious and easy to apply it to the Redskins, but Danny Boy just has too much of an ego to admit he was wrong and only cares about winning HIS way. Too bad his way will never ever ever ever get us anywhere except the occasional playoff birth and one an done.

I don't get how people are saying "omg its so different." It really isn't. The concept for building a successful pro sports team in any sport is basically the same. Of course some things are different(different salary cap structures, trade rules, etc.)but the general concept is the same. I just read Teddy's plan and it just seems so obvious and easy to apply it to the Redskins, but Danny Boy just has too much of an ego to admit he was wrong and only cares about winning HIS way. Too bad his way will never ever ever ever get us anywhere except the occasional playoff birth and one an done.

Of course it isn't all that different. The big picture is exactly the same; only the details differ. Perhaps it is a fair point to say that Leonsis shouldn't be talking unless and until they win a Cup, but his points are right on. And given the respective positions of the two organizations, he does have some right to talk.

Comparing building an NHL team and building an NFL team is about as dumb a comparison as you can do.

As I have stated in many threads.

Caps got Ovechkin, without him they wouldn't be nearly as good. Ovechkin ws to the Caps what Lebron James was to Cleveland. An absolute sure thing and a franchise changer.

The Caps haven't won anything. As a matter of fact, last season they were doormats of the NHL, their were calls to FIRE George McPhee, and they were UNWATCHABLE. The team was in a shambles and attendance was down. They had to FIRE their head coach and get a LIGHTS OUT Goaltender to squeak into first place by the hair of their chin.

They still have no stanley cup goaltender on their roster.

Please lets stop the comparison. It's a dumb one. Even if they did win the Stanley Cup (which they haven't even come close) you can't compare a sport where you get to build a multi-tiered farm system, and get to pull "professional" players from other countrys "professional" leagues to come right and and play in the NHL. NFL has essentially one place to pull talent. Thats the draft.

The caps have now been good for one...count it *ONE* full season. Half of last year and half of this season. Let's see a little more than one season before we make Ted Leonsis out to be king. He has been owner longer than Snyder and has dissapointed just as much (for those of you who actually paid attention before NOW).

Must be a penguins fan, huh? The NFL has the draft, CFL, arena football and walk ons to pull from if they want to. Weak argument.

The entire season last year the Caps were the cream of the crop, they only thing they had against them is youth. They season before it started nasty but they recovered and pushed their way into the playoffs. In my opinion, the Caps are the closest thing this town has to a championship caliber team. They Caps youthfullness is going to make them a playoff team for many seasons. Whether its Ted or Bruce the Caps are a GREAT hocky team.

Oct 1 the puck drops and the Caps will once again show just how great they are. HATER!!!!!

Must be a penguins fan, huh? The NFL has the draft, CFL, arena football and walk ons to pull from if they want to. Weak argument.

The entire season last year the Caps were the cream of the crop, they only thing they had against them is youth. They season before it started nasty but they recovered and pushed their way into the playoffs. In my opinion, the Caps are the closest thing this town has to a championship caliber team. They Caps youthfullness is going to make them a playoff team for many seasons. Whether its Ted or Bruce the Caps are a GREAT hocky team.

Oct 1 the puck drops and the Caps will once again show just how great they are. HATER!!!!!

It is interesting. DC wasn't a hockey town and probably still isn't. But Leonsis put a great effort into making the game experience and organization first class. He made some mistakes in the early years but learned from those mistakes. And unlike Snyder, who was always making money hand over fist, Ted was willing to spend big even when he knew he would lose money. THAT is wanting to win. He took that franchise and has built it into a powerhouse both in terms of marketing and on a competitive basis for years to come. It is now cool to be a Caps fan. Right now, it is hard to argue that it isn't the number two professional sport in town. On the other hand, Snyder took what was already a powerhouse living off the good will from the Cooke/Gibbs years and seems to be doing a good job of eroding it. The Redskins will always be number one around here. They are the big gorilla. But the big gorilla isn't as big as it once was, and the little gorillas seem to be getting bigger. At least some of them anyway.

It is interesting. DC wasn't a hockey town and probably still isn't. But Leonsis put a great effort into making the game experience and organization first class. He made some mistakes in the early years but learned from those mistakes. And unlike Snyder, who was always making money hand over fist, Ted was willing to spend big even when he knew he would lose money. THAT is wanting to win. He took that franchise and has built it into a powerhouse both in terms of marketing and on a competitive basis for years to come. It is now cool to be a Caps fan. Right now, it is hard to argue that it isn't the number two professional sport in town. On the other hand, Snyder took what was already a powerhouse living off the good will from the Cooke/Gibbs years and seems to be doing a good job of eroding it. The Redskins will always be number one around here. They are the big gorilla. But the big gorilla isn't as big as it once was, and the little gorillas seem to be getting bigger. At least some of them anyway.

I agree 110%.

This might not be a hockey town, but this area is hungry for a winner. We were teased by the Wizards for a couple years there. Who knows they may get it done this year with a healthy squad and Flip. But one thing is for certain is that the Caps are true winners, they have a winning spirit and a winning desire. If they dont win the Cup in the next couple years I will be very very suprised. But I know that there will always be stiff competition and a lot of hard work will be needed. They were rebuilt from the ground up probably what the Skins need to do.

• 7 months later...
The "plan" reads like something you buy on an infomercial.

For you guys who haven't followed hockey. Pay attention to where this team was last year to start the season. A disaster. Don't you find it a little ludicrous to call Leonsis a genius now that his "rebuilt" team has played 2 half seasons at a playoff level? That's pretty silly if you ask me. I have watched the Caps for a long time. I worked at the Cap Center, and played ice hockey. I have seen many talented teams even when Abe was in charge. The Capitals have won ZIP.

Save me the generic management speak in his how to build a franchise. Show me a Championship, then I will sit and listen...all ears.

Post of the thread. :D

Archived