Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you trust Barack Obama?

alexey

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think he is as full of **** as Bush and Clinton.

Last honest PotUS was probably Carter. I think Reagan was an honest guy, but I would be amazed to find out he was an actual acting pres.

I think there may have been an honest guy in there a while ago, but he has long since gone, when he was hand picked and groomed to run for PotUS.

But hey, I like the guy who actually did charity work and gives his bonus back every year.

From tonight's speech:

"As soon as I took office, I asked this Congress to send me a recovery plan by President's Day that would put people back to work and put money in their pockets. Not because I believe in bigger government - I don't."

So, no.

OK, I did that to fan some flames, he deserves some time but generally I don't trust any politician at his level, regardless of their stripe.

I have mixed feelings--I believe his intentions to do many of the things he says are true, and can even buy into him pulling some of it off. But he has already had several mis-steps where his actions call his words into question on some matters. As others have noted, such is the way with all of them, but that doesn't earn any of them a free pass for it. There is a lot about the man I like, much of it reflected in his family and his manner. I'm hopeful. But real trust is not something I give casually.

I think he is as full of **** as Bush and Clinton.

Last honest PotUS was probably Carter. I think Reagan was an honest guy, but I would be amazed to find out he was an actual acting pres.

I think there may have been an honest guy in there a while ago, but he has long since gone, when he was hand picked and groomed to run for PotUS.

But hey, I like the guy who actually did charity work and gives his bonus back every year.

I'm giving the guy a chance. I gotta say Carter was more naive than honest. Not sure you can make a case for any president being "honest". They're politicians, that's strike one. Their actions usually justify strikes two and three. FDR tried to pack the courts and kept lots of secrets during the war. Truman, don't know much about him. Eisenhower lied about the U2 flights. Kennedy had the "missile gap", which he discovered was false after he took office. Nixon had watergate. Reagan had Iran-Contra. Bush Sr. had "no new taxes". LBJ made a career out of dishonesty, starting in the Senate. Clinton lied about Monica. Obama will probably let us down eventually, too. Until then, I'm keeping an open mind.

I'm the first vote apparently, and that's a "no." But to be honest, I don't really trust any politician. I think it's healthy to have a natural distrust of politicians until THEY prove otherwise. But I'm a skeptical person in general, so take my answer with a grain of salt, I guess.

agree completely with this post

Right now, Obama's in the benefit of the doubt phase which is not quite trust and not quite distrust. I think every new guy on the job deserves at least that. I think I will always believe that a President's motives are good and well-intentioned. I still believe that of President Bush, so I never quite totally distrust them and yet history tells me to be prepared for disappointment, missteps, and lies.

*pulls out the stirring stick*

Intentions?!? really?!?

So many of you are running on about intentions. I can recall when not to long ago intentions were thrown out the window and people were condemned for every action that wasnt a popular one. What happened? When did intentions become ok again?

Just curious why intentions are acceptable for some but not others, or does this fall under the "you can call this person a monkey but not this person" rule?!?

Double Standards much???

Cap't Chaos,

I think this one has to do with time. We haven't had time to see how any of the seeds Obama has planted have turned out. Not one. All we can judge on right now is intentions. We can speculate and analyze what we think will happen based on the actions of those intentions, but we don't know yet.

This is what I think I know about Obama so far:

Our President likes to talk. He's a gabby guy.

He tries to follow through on his promises.

He is smart.

He has been guilty of stabbing himself in the back (which is very worriesome)

He is not afraid of people with hefty resumes and strong opinions.

That's all I know. Personally, I approve of some of his choices and am skeptical of others, but at this point I don't know who's right or how it will turn out. Which brings me back to my first reply in this thread...

We're in the benefit of the doubt phase or at least I am.

I gotta say Carter was more naive than honest.

Yet you list examples of other PotUS being proven liers and not Carter.

Carter may have been naive, but he may also have been right about a few things, but I don't think he had "his own" intentions in mind and I can't say that about any others.

No, I don't. He's already shown he'll set aside his promises when expedient. In only one month he's already made exceptions to his lobbyist rule and his rule for posting bills online for five days. If they were principles worth campaigning on, why abandon them at the very first opportunity.

But, it's much larger for me, too. His rise has just been too fast. He has reacted to each election win, but immediately running for the next higher office. He's never really done anything except run a campaign. He's too polished, too palatable to too wide of a cross section of Americans; there's just something fabricated and untrustworthy to me.

In my experience, anything that seems too good to be true usually is.

Yet you list examples of other PotUS being proven liers and not Carter.

Carter may have been naive, but he may also have been right about a few things, but I don't think he had "his own" intentions in mind and I can't say that about any others.

Well, he certainly misled and needlessly confused a lot of people when he declared an "energy crisis". Shortfall of oil was only a few percent and hardly warranted him urging people to turn down their thermostats and save any energy they could. It's a great thing for people to do, but not a crisis. He's a hell of a good person, great peacemaker, etc. But he should never have been president. He would have been our greatest diplomat had he been an ambassador instead. He was very much out of his element in the White House IMO.

My favorite Carter saying was "I just don't undastand da Commanist philosophy." Why not? It was pretty simple: take over the world.

I didnt vote for him but I trust him the same way I trusted President Bush. I think he has the nations best interest in mind and I really think he is trying to do what he thinks is right. We may differ on what we think is right for the country but I still think, like Bush, that he is doing what he thinks is best and not trying to screw the country for personal gain or anything.

Archived