Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Mike Lombardi: Redskins will need a new QB in 2010

MattFancy

In regards to the Skins trading for Matt Cassel:

WASHINGTON REDSKINS — The ‘Skins are going to live and die with their current quarterback, Jason Campbell, and have put the word out that they will not be players in the free-agent market. However, they will need to consider making this move and should do their homework before they dismiss the notion of a trade. Trust me on this, a year from now the ‘Skins will be looking for a quarterback.

What do you guys think? Will we need a QB next year or can Campbell pull though and prove his worth? I'm interested to hear because I haven't heard much talk from the media about this.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/national-football-post-diner-news-93/

yeah, cause he's so knowledgable on the Skins.....this is just unwarranted speculation that some will see as GOSPEL and some will see as trash (count me in the later)

I'm not seeing it as gospel at all. I just think its interesting that the media is starting to talk about this. I just thought it was an ES thing. I think we should wait and see what Campbell has done by midseason of next year to decide his future. If we are playing well then he gets his extension, if not, then we consider other options.

I'd still like to see what he can do behind a halfway decent offensive line. We could have Sammy Baugh in his prime and I don't think he'd be successful behind the line in its current form.

I wish we did have Sammy with this O-line. We'd save a roster spot on a punter :laugh:

I'd still like to see what he can do behind a halfway decent offensive line. We could have Sammy Baugh in his prime and I don't think he'd be successful behind the line in its current form.

How can you still think this?

Remember last year when Campbell was struggling behind the line... the same line that after he got hurt, all of the sudden turned into a great line allowing Todd Collins to look like a MVP? Remember that?

Granted, I'll concede that our line can and hopefully will be better.

But I cannot imagine that you would think that improvements on the line will solve all his problems or that the line is his problem.

The problem is JC. Yeah, if we put a Pro Bowl line in front of him and put Randy Moss, Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson three wide with Gonzalez at TE... yeah, he might look a bit better.

But the easier fix is to get a better QB instead of waiting around to see what he will look like on the greatest team ever formed (which we will never see).

There are plenty of QBs who can survive and do better behind that line.

I'll give 2 to 1 odds that Jason is gone in 2010 as well. We will be looking for a new QB in 2010 so I agree with the writer. However I don't think we need to be looking at Cassell as our answer at this time. I don't think he's worth two top ten first round draft picks which is what I expect us to draft. If we could package up a deal for Cassel for one number one pick and players I'd be interested this year but with the tag that's not going to happen. Cassell is a very raw project QB but showed last year he could play in the league and be top 10 if he's given time to study and learn an offense. I just don't think bringing him here would be a smart move at this time for the price we'd have to pay him.

We might a need a QB but can we stop overpaying for them? 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder for Brad Johnson. 3rd rounder for Mark Brunell. 1st, 3rd, and 4th for Jason Campbell....

This!!!

Whatever happens, happens. Let's just not break the damn bank on another guy, if it need be.

Sadly, in respect to the time and effort we've put in to him, and having to start over, bar some more "franchise arrogance" from the men up top refusing to admit their mistakes, I fear we will be looking at a new starter come 2010. (Some would say, myself included, a change should be made now, but that's another issue.).

The question is do we have enough faith in last years 6th rounder, or will we have to start over through the draft or getting a proven vet. in?

If things continue next year as the current starter has shown to date, then hopefully we'll at least get to see the aforementioned 6th rounder in some full speed NFL games to know a little more on exactly what our plan should be going forward.

Hail.

There's no doubt iin my mind that if the Skins shore up the offensive line Jason will be fine. The running game as well as the passing game took a step back because of the line. Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly need to move into the #2 spot. Randle El isn't a #2 WR period. As some on this thread have already said, I don't think any QB can consistently perform behind this current line. To play in a new offense, behind this line is proof in the pudding to me. This O-line stinks right now.

I think the Skins need to get a DE that can play the run as well as rush the passer. They haven't had one since Charles Mann.

Campbell was a significant risk when he was drafted. This was insult to injury after Brunell. Unfortunately, Gibbs made these mistakes. Should have traded way up to get Rothlisberger. Campbell was a lukewarm choice from the beginning. How many people on this board were jumping for absolute joy when that trade went down? Zilch. And we were right.

candle is never going to get it done. hes too timid and not a risk taker. hes always going to be a decent game manager, but he'll never be a winner, which is something we need.

candle needs to be on the ravens or the bears, or some team with a rabid defense that can get multiple turnovers for him that turn into field goals of slow clock eating drives. candle is never going to lead anybody anywhere but down.

I'm not seeing it as gospel at all. I just think its interesting that the media is starting to talk about this. I just thought it was an ES thing. I think we should wait and see what Campbell has done by midseason of next year to decide his future. If we are playing well then he gets his extension, if not, then we consider other options.

Mike Lombardi is not "the media".

2008 was JC's 3rd season as a starter. More than enough time to evaluate. By November he looked like the 6th round pick he should have been and the next Patrick Ramsey.

I wanted like hell for it to work but it didnt. Time to move on to the next debacle.

My only problem with his statement is the date... 2010? The Skins need a new QB NOW.

I just don't see how some of you guys are "confident" in Campbell IF we shore up the line. I could understand you being optimistic but confident?...come on.

I'm not a JC supporter but will still root for him to do well. But being realistic, I'm not going to hold my breath.

One guy out of thousands does not carry alot of weight. If these were top stories across the board? Yeah, then we can talk "media".

Besides, its Lombardi.

Ok, then don't read it. I just thought it was interesting that this story was coming from somewhere other than ES

Archived