Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Mike Lombardi: Redskins will need a new QB in 2010

MattFancy

I'm amazed at the insight around here - "if we don't give Colt a chance, then he'll end up as an annual Pro-Bowler, and annual "deep" playoff QB." AMAZING!!!

Campbell will never succeed!

McCune is going to be the greatest LB ever!

Rogers sucks!

And on, and on, and on.

What else do Redskins fans have to do in Jan/Feb?

see, guys like that are why colt wont get taken seriously, and its sad.

all im asking is that the guy gets a legit start to take the job from campbell. whatever happened to best man gets the job? seems fair to me.

It doesn't work like that in Washington.

JC starts because they got robbed in the draft to get him.

Portis plays at 50% health because he cries.

I'd like that in writing, as a guarantee.

Okay, here you go:

What the Redskins need to do is give Colt a chance. If we fail to do so, he will go to another team and become a pro-bowler leading his new team deep into the playoffs every year, while the Redskins remain at the bottom of the NFL, tyring to figure out how to out of there.

:doh: How does an intelligent person quote someone, and then ask for the exact same quote in writing?

I guess that would make them unintelligent. :whoknows:

I'll give 2 to 1 odds that Jason is gone in 2010 as well. We will be looking for a new QB in 2010 so I agree with the writer. However I don't think we need to be looking at Cassell as our answer at this time. I don't think he's worth two top ten first round draft picks which is what I expect us to draft. If we could package up a deal for Cassel for one number one pick and players I'd be interested this year but with the tag that's not going to happen. Cassell is a very raw project QB but showed last year he could play in the league and be top 10 if he's given time to study and learn an offense. I just don't think bringing him here would be a smart move at this time for the price we'd have to pay him.
well i hope that if after 8 games were sitting at like 3-5 or 3-6 after 9 games, then colt gets a shot. but our management is so stubborn and stupid that i dont see us benching campbell. hell we didnt even bench campbell in a meaningless game against SF this year that we STILL lost.

I am hoping that the teams 8-0 at mid point and that Jason Campbell has finally realized his potential and will be our QB of the future. I don't think it happens but I'm not rooting for any of the current players, my loyalty is on the team itself.

wow what? wow that i wanna see another quarterback behind center that might not be mediocre?

Nah, wow because your a fan hoping that the team sucks so your guy gets a shot to play. I don't give a damn really if the guy QB'ing us is named Jason, John, Colt, Adam, or whatever. I just want the team to win

and 31 other teams had time to draft tom brady and didnt, and 31 teams had a chance to draft eddie royal last year and didnt, and 31 teams had a chance to xx and didnt one year. thats not a valid point whatsoever.

the only thing the coaching staff knows is what he looks like in practice. me and jim zorn have the exact same knowledge of how colt performs in regular season games, and the answer is nobody has a clue, because no one will give him a shot. the reason he isnt allowed a shot is because campbell was handed the job last year, which i fully disagree with. gregg williams disagreed with it as well, and ive heard from at least one guy that the reason fassel didnt take the job is because he didnt want campbell either.

take that for what you will, but handing people jobs when there are other qualified people around who MIGHT do a better job, is bad management.

Fassel did not take the job becasue he did not wnat JC? LOL. Now I have heard it all!

Wasnt Fassel the one who was flabbergasted that he was passed up for the hire?

Unreal... tournament.

Why do you need a weather man to know which way the wind blows?

All anyone has to know is that the team knows that Jason's contract is up next year and they've decided to not re-sign him this offseason. The front office doesn't want to sink more money into Jason until he proves he's worth it. Jason's already started for three years. The risk for the office doing that is if Jason has a great year they will be forced to pay him more then they could have this offseason to keep him. However the office is willing to take that risk which speaks volumes about what they think about his future here.

That's all anyone needs to know about our QB situation regardless of who's saying it.

I dont... but its just one mans opinion. Not fact. You dont know what the FO is thinking. So to throw a guess out there and thing your are right is absurd.

I could say that I think that have not resigned him because they are in cap hell again this year... still paying for players who have scince left the team. They are waiting for the CBA to end efore they throw money at the guy. Yeah.. thats the truth.

Just saying... nobody knows what the hell is going right now and to speak like your opinion is truth is silly.

Nah, wow because your a fan hoping that the team sucks so your guy gets a shot to play. I don't give a damn really if the guy QB'ing us is named Jason, John, Colt, Adam, or whatever. I just want the team to win

seems like you guys have some serious reading comp. problems. i said IF the team is sitting at 3-6 i hope colt gets a shot. not I HOPE WE GO 3-6 SO COLT GETS A SHOT.

seriously guys.

Fassel did not take the job becasue he did not wnat JC? LOL. Now I have heard it all!

Wasnt Fassel the one who was flabbergasted that he was passed up for the hire?

Unreal... tournament.

frankly, i heard this yesterday for the first time. i was pretty shocked when the dude said it, but i have no clue whether its true or not. but that was a side point, gregg williams wanted an open QB competition and was told to leave. its kinda hard to argue that danny wasnt in charge of who was starting at QB for this team.

If we end up needing a QB in 2010, that means not only will JC have failed, but so will CB. That would make 99% of the people on this board wrong.

If you ask JC fans if we will need a QB in 2010, they would say know. If you ask CB fans if we will need a QB in 2010, they would say know. That leaves the Todd Collins fan section as the only people who would say yes.

In regards to the Skins trading for Matt Cassel:

WASHINGTON REDSKINS — The ‘Skins are going to live and die with their current quarterback, Jason Campbell, and have put the word out that they will not be players in the free-agent market. However, they will need to consider making this move and should do their homework before they dismiss the notion of a trade. Trust me on this, a year from now the ‘Skins will be looking for a quarterback.

What do you guys think? Will we need a QB next year or can Campbell pull though and prove his worth? I'm interested to hear because I haven't heard much talk from the media about this.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/national-football-post-diner-news-93/

What has lombardi done or what does he know that would make his statment worth a damn?

Mike Lombardi says we won't be players in FA. He is the same person that said we'd be opening our wallets for Jordan Gross. Come on. I think we make a play for a couple of players in FA. I smell a OL at least and possibly a LB.

His name is Mike, not Vince.

But I do have to agree with him about the Redskins FO.

"What bothers me is that it has taken seven months to reach a conclusion that many knew back in July. The ‘Skins line was old, and all their backups, for the most part, were old. They chose to go through the season with this line and drafted two wide receivers instead of any linemen last year. Therefore, they were not as aware of the problem as many on the outside. They might come back and say, well, Joe Bugel, the line coach, was happy with his players. That’s fine in theory but horrible in reality. Bugel is always going to love his players, he is always going to love older people, and everyone knows that. However, as an executive, you have to make tough decisions. You have to challenge people, and in the end, you have to do what’s right. Paying no attention to the line was not right. Ignoring the line last season has hurt the team and placed it a year behind.

George Allen once said, “Evaluate the evaluator.” Everyone knows that Bugel loves older players — not because he doesn’t like to teach but because he doesn’t like change and doesn’t want to give up a sure thing, good or bad, to make a move for the unknown. Most coaches share Bugel’s viewpoint. It then is the job of the head coach or GM to make the moves necessary to benefit the team for the short and long term. This is what executives in the NFL are supposed to do.

If I were a ‘Skins fan (and once was long ago), I would be worried about my team’s future and about how this front office is going to find the right pieces to fix it. However, there’s one thing you know as a ‘Skins fan: Whatever they do, they will let you know beforehand. "

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/national-football-post-diner-news-92/

well, being that this is JC's last year on his contract, it's now or never with us; doesn't take a genius to speculate about the possible need for a QB with an unproven one on the last year of his contract, a 37 year old backing him up and a 3rd stringer in his second year with no snaps to his name... be great if it works out for JC but I wouldn't bet on it.. hope I'm wrong..

I'm baffled why so many people think JC is gonna be good next season with an upgraded line. As of now, we have no new lineman on the team. Let's not forget, we have a D-line to worry about, too. When draft day comes around, who's to say that we are going to focus soley on the O-line??? It's pretty much impossible to focus an entire draft on a line--you'd end up with a bunch of bums.

Most JC supporters think that the offensive line is the cause of most of his problems... Perhaps they are right--who knows? But the fact is, the Skins are falling behind the rest of the league in that they aren't getting production out of their rookies (see 2008 season). With a limited number of picks, and needs on the defensive side of the ball, not to mention our suspect scouting and drafting, I just can't see why people think the O-line will be magically upgraded by next season and JC will flourish. Even if we focus on the O-line in this upcoming draft, the Redskins in recent years have been reluctant to put rookies in starting roles!! Hell, and even if these rookies do see playing time, most rookie lineman past the 3rd round simply aren't ready in that first year, which doesn't bode well when a veteran goes down with injury.

The O-line we had this past season will pretty much be the same lineup you will see next year (maybe one new guy). We've neglected this group for too long in recent years and it can't (and won't) be fixed in just one offseason. As long as the FO puts some focus on the lines this year, I have faith that 2010 should look good.

I used to believe in JC but his shortcomings, as well as the O-line's shortcomings are coming at a bad time for his career.

Hold on to your hats--2009 is gonna be a bumpy ride.

I'm not sold on Cassel. His average air yards per attempt was an abysmal 3.1 (same as Campbell; among the bottom 5 in the league). Air yards factor out YAC.

I think he's better than Campbell, but that's not saying much. He's certainly not worth franchise tag trade compensation or the money that goes along with it. He's a product of his system and the talent and coaching around him.

He's more valuable to the Patriots than he ever would be for anyone else. It saves them having to break-in another nobody until Tom Brady is healthy.

I'm baffled why so many people think JC is gonna be good next season with an upgraded line. As of now, we have no new lineman on the team. Let's not forget, we have a D-line to worry about, too. When draft day comes around, who's to say that we are going to focus soley on the O-line??? It's pretty much impossible to focus an entire draft on a line--you'd end up with a bunch of bums.

Pretty much. Would have been nice if some of the picks wasted on Duckett/Lloyd/Portis/Brunell/Coles/Taylor or trading up for JC/McIntosh would have been used for some OL. Sad to think that Campbell probably would be at least as good as he was during the first half of 08 if we already had some depth at OL. You can't just build an OL in one offseason though which is the type of thing this FO is great at when you need a WR, or a DB, etc. Not going to work when you need to replace the whole line, maybe both lines really.

Archived