Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Mike Lombardi: Redskins will need a new QB in 2010

MattFancy

again, my biggest problem is why cant colt be the guy? nobody knows because everyones written him off already for no reason, or theyre so excited about him theyre irrational about the situation. give the guy a shot to show he can do something. if next season is tanking badly, put him in there for 3 or 4 games and see what the kid can do.

the point is nobody knows, and its disturbing that the coaching staff refuses to allow a dude who looked good in preseason, set a bunch of records in college, who comes from a WCO offense, and who threw 58 TDs in one year, a shot.

One guy out of thousands does not carry alot of weight. If these were top stories across the board? Yeah, then we can talk "media".

Besides, its Lombardi.

Why do you need a weather man to know which way the wind blows?

All anyone has to know is that the team knows that Jason's contract is up next year and they've decided to not re-sign him this offseason. The front office doesn't want to sink more money into Jason until he proves he's worth it. Jason's already started for three years. The risk for the office doing that is if Jason has a great year they will be forced to pay him more then they could have this offseason to keep him. However the office is willing to take that risk which speaks volumes about what they think about his future here.

That's all anyone needs to know about our QB situation regardless of who's saying it.

again, my biggest problem is why cant colt be the guy? nobody knows because everyones written him off already for no reason, or theyre so excited about him theyre irrational about the situation. give the guy a shot to show he can do something. if next season is tanking badly, put him in there for 3 or 4 games and see what the kid can do.

the point is nobody knows, and its disturbing that the coaching staff refuses to allow a dude who looked good in preseason, set a bunch of records in college, who comes from a WCO offense, and who threw 58 TDs in one year, a shot.

I dunno, maybe the coaching staff knows better than we do?

And don't give me the "our FO doesn't know jack, Zorn is a puppet" BS because 31 other teams had five and a half rounds to draft Colt and didnt.

Why would the coaching staff give the start in week one to Colt next year? Like you said no one knows if he can play yet. Rookies need time to learn offenses before being thrust into the game usually. All the teams done is give him time to study and learn. Unless I missed it they've not come out and ever said they will never give him a shot. If anything they are letting Jason keep the seat warm while Colt gears up to take over at some point. I'd like to see the team give Jason 8 games to prove his worth, then if he fails as I predict he will, then give Colt the next 8 games to see what he's got. That's the only way to know if Colt or Jason is the future of the franchise.

I just don't see how some of you guys are "confident" in Campbell IF we shore up the line. I could understand you being optimistic but confident?...come on.

I'm not a JC supporter but will still root for him to do well. But being realistic, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Well if a guy can throw for 3200 yds in a new offense behind a battered line, I myself tend to believe if the line is blocking, he can perform even better. I mean there are QB's that are getting pats on the back from people on this forum that jason's #'s compare to. I mean if you look at the total reason of why a team succeeds or fails the QB always tens to take to much credit and blame repsectively. There's not a single game this season I can totally put on Jason. Funny Jason has taken 98% of the blame of whats wrong with the Skins this year. I coulda swore I saw inept line play. Flase starts, not enough men on the line of scrimmage, holding calls, bad throws, dropped passes etc. I mean problems across the board but all I hear his Jason's name. Its amazing. I bleed burgundy and gold but I wish somehow the Skins left this same exact team in tact without Jason and see how they perform.

And don't give me the "our FO doesn't know jack, Zorn is a puppet" BS because 31 other teams had five and a half rounds to draft Colt and didnt.

This sounds like a valid argument but it holds no weight. The draft is not a science. Draft order is not indicative of success. The same could be said for how many dumb front offices passed on Tom Brady, or on the other hand, the dumb front office that jumped on Alex Smith.

Just sayin'...

Well if a guy can throw for 3200 yds in a new offense behind a battered line, I myself tend to believe if the line is blocking, he can perform even better. I mean there are QB's that are getting pats on the back from people on this forum that jason's #'s compare to. I mean if you look at the total reason of why a team succeeds or fails the QB always tens to take to much credit and blame repsectively. There's not a single game this season I can totally put on Jason. Funny Jason has taken 98% of the blame of whats wrong with the Skins this year. I coulda swore I saw inept line play. Flase starts, not enough men on the line of scrimmage, holding calls, bad throws, dropped passes etc. I mean problems across the board but all I hear his Jason's name. Its amazing. I bleed burgundy and gold but I wish somehow the Skins left this same exact team in tact without Jason and see how they perform.

Agreed. I think the panic regarding Campbell is just bizarre. Was he great last season? No. When the O-line and Portis were pretty much healthy, he was very efficient and we were winning games. I grant you: he can, better, and should improve, but he was hardly the central problem last year.

What the Redskins need to do is give Colt a chance. If we fail to do so, he will go to another team and become a pro-bowler leading his new team deep into the playoffs every year, while the Redskins remain at the bottom of the NFL, tyring to figure out how to out of there.

Funny Jason has taken 98% of the blame of whats wrong with the Skins this year. I coulda swore I saw inept line play. Flase starts, not enough men on the line of scrimmage, holding calls, bad throws, dropped passes etc. I mean problems across the board but all I hear his Jason's name.

Replacing the starting QB is a lot easier than replacing everyone else.

I'm not saying this would fixes all that ails the team, but you gotta admit it is the easier change.

and 31 other teams had time to draft tom brady and didnt, and 31 teams had a chance to draft eddie royal last year and didnt, and 31 teams had a chance to xx and didnt one year. thats not a valid point whatsoever.

the only thing the coaching staff knows is what he looks like in practice. me and jim zorn have the exact same knowledge of how colt performs in regular season games, and the answer is nobody has a clue, because no one will give him a shot. the reason he isnt allowed a shot is because campbell was handed the job last year, which i fully disagree with. gregg williams disagreed with it as well, and ive heard from at least one guy that the reason fassel didnt take the job is because he didnt want campbell either.

take that for what you will, but handing people jobs when there are other qualified people around who MIGHT do a better job, is bad management.

Well if a guy can throw for 3200 yds in a new offense behind a battered line, I myself tend to believe if the line is blocking, he can perform even better. I mean there are QB's that are getting pats on the back from people on this forum that jason's #'s compare to.

Yards thrown don't mean anything to me as far as measuring the worth of a QB. If you want to look at stats then the numbers that mean something are:

Wins and Losses (Not good, we are drafting 13th)

TD's thrown (Jason sucks here, 21st in the league)

Yards per game (Jason sucks here, 19th in the league)

Compeletion percentage (Jason sucks here, 19th in the league)

The only stat that Jason has going for him are his INTs thrown (Lowest in the league for full time starter) which doesn't amount to much. His 3200 yards ranks 16th in the league, not something to get excited about

There's not a single game this season I can totally put on Jason.

The nature of the position says that for all of the 8 games that we lost this year can anyone truely say that if Jason had made more plays we still would have lost these games? I put all of the losses on Jason. The QB has to make plays and move the offense. We have to get TD's thrown by our QB to compete. I can't totally put all of the loses on Jason alone, but I can't give him a pass on any of them either. I never saw a game this year where I thought, Jason played his best but the Defense let him down. I never saw that

The offensive line wasn't nearly as bad as everyone says. The problem this year was that teams in the second half of the year started blitzing and our quarterback couldn't recognize where and when it was coming. He holds the ball too long, and cannot complete the long ball. You could give him the line from the 1992 Super Bowl and nothing is going to change. There is a reason the Redskins haven't offered him an extension on his contract. If they thought the offensive line was the problem, Campbell would have been offered an extension, especially after the statistical year he just had. The Redskins could have saved themselves a lot of money. I don't care if you love the guy or hate him, the FACT is he probably won't be quarterbacking the Redskins much longer. Unless he comes out next year and just lights it up, but I wouldn't hold my breath as he just isn't that type of quarterback. As for Cassel, I hope teams are smart enough to stay away from him until he proves himself. The cold fact on Cassel is that the Patriots almost cut hime before the season and drafted O'Connell. He won games and looked good, but remember he had Randy Moss drawing all kinds of coverage and Wes Welker picking defenses apart underneath. I would like to know just how many reads he had to go through before throwing. If I were the GM's in the NFL, I wouldn't offer the Patriots anything for Cassel. Let them sit on 25 million in cap space in quarterbacks until they are forced to unload him. You could literally handcuff arguably the favorite to win the next Super Bowl and prevent them from signing ANY free agents.

and 31 other teams had time to draft tom brady and didnt, and 31 teams had a chance to draft eddie royal last year and didnt, and 31 teams had a chance to xx and didnt one year. thats not a valid point whatsoever.

the only thing the coaching staff knows is what he looks like in practice. me and jim zorn have the exact same knowledge of how colt performs in regular season games, and the answer is nobody has a clue, because no one will give him a shot. the reason he isnt allowed a shot is because campbell was handed the job last year, which i fully disagree with. gregg williams disagreed with it as well, and ive heard from at least one guy that the reason fassel didnt take the job is because he didnt want campbell either.

take that for what you will, but handing people jobs when there are other qualified people around who MIGHT do a better job, is bad management.

This sounds like a valid argument but it holds no weight. The draft is not a science. Draft order is not indicative of success. The same could be said for how many dumb front offices passed on Tom Brady, or on the other hand, the dumb front office that jumped on Alex Smith.

Just sayin'...

Actually its funny you bring up Alex Smith, TQ, as a lot of draft scouts compared Colt Brennan to...none other than Alex Smith. (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/colt-brennan?id=196)

As for the Tom Brady thing - Tom Brady revolutionized the world of QB scouting. People thought his vision and arm strength sucked, the only reason he was drafted was because he had really great mechanics - actually, they were flawless mechanics. That's why Joe Flacco jumped up from round 4 to round 1 in the draft, because his mechanics were absolutely spot on.

The same cannot be said about Colt.

What the Redskins need to do is give Colt a chance. If we fail to do so, he will go to another team and become a pro-bowler leading his new team deep into the playoffs every year, while the Redskins remain at the bottom of the NFL, tyring to figure out how to out of there.

I'd like that in writing, as a guarantee.

I'm amazed at the insight around here - "if we don't give Colt a chance, then he'll end up as an annual Pro-Bowler, and annual "deep" playoff QB." AMAZING!!!

Campbell will never succeed!

McCune is going to be the greatest LB ever!

Rogers sucks!

And on, and on, and on.

see, guys like that are why colt wont get taken seriously, and its sad.

all im asking is that the guy gets a legit start to take the job from campbell. whatever happened to best man gets the job? seems fair to me.

I believe its coming. Just give Jason 8 games to prove he's worth a contract extention or not. The way he ended last seasons 8 games says without a doubt to most that he's not (some homers say he is but they are the vocal minority). If Jason starts off on fire after having another year under Zorn then we will know we have a quality QB keeper, if he sucks I see no reason to give him the entire season as the starter and don't think Zorn will either. If Jason's got it he will prove it on the field. If he doesn't we will transition over to a new guy much like we did when Jason began starting for us.

I believe its coming. Just give Jason 8 games to prove he's worth a contract extention or not. The way he ended last seasons 8 games says without a doubt to most that he's not (some homers say he is but they are the vocal minority). If Jason starts off on fire after having another year under Zorn then we will know we have a quality QB keeper, if he sucks I see no reason to give him the entire season as the starter and don't think Zorn will either. If Jason's got it he will prove it on the field. If he doesn't we will transition over to a new guy much like we did when Jason began starting for us.

well i hope that if after 8 games were sitting at like 3-5 or 3-6 after 9 games, then colt gets a shot. but our management is so stubborn and stupid that i dont see us benching campbell. hell we didnt even bench campbell in a meaningless game against SF this year that we STILL lost.

Archived