Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Drafting a DT this year....a mistake?

wilco_holland

look up a few posts kdawg i explained to a degree why we need a dt. ive said this analogy before.

you walk into a grocery store buying steak.

you are in desperate need of both rib-eye and sirloin.

the store is gonna be a busy one, like day before thanksgiving.

rib-eye has a limited supply, but there is alot of sirloin in the store.

are you gonna get the sirloiin because theres more, or the rib-eye that is the best in the draft and a limited supply?

you can always go back later in that day and get that sirloin but i would rather us get the more limited item. 3rd round dt's have not been that great...and our last 3rd round draft pick of ol derrick dockery fell into his own. it sucks we let him go. so why not get the best dt in the draft, and get ol which there is plenty of depth in?

I myself am a beleiver in bpa, so long as it does address some need. So if we are sitting at 13 and either Raji or Perry is available and there isn't a player available that suits some need with a higher grade, such as OT or LBer, then DT would be a good pick. However, I think Vinny def. will be looking to trade down to get a low 1st and a 2nd rounder. Heck, he might even trade down further after that, essentially acquiring 3 2nd rounders. However, this strategy all depends on which positions are deepest in the draft and which positions are likely to be deep in the 2nd round, but I anticpate Cerrato will trade down at least once to gain extra picks.

If we pick in the lower 1st round, then it really is a wildcard what poisition we'll draft. We could get an OL, a LBer, we could even go RB. Cerrato has already been quoted as saying this draft is deep with OL, so as long as there are ones available worth picking wherever we pick, then it's likely they will be the bpa and everyone gets their wish of us drafting an OL high. However, people need to realize the draft is not only a crap shoot with the players you get, but also in terms of what players will be available to you based on their draft grades. People often use hindsight when looking back at drafts, rather than understand what the situation was at the time of the draft, IMO.

DT is a big need for us, IMO. And the Skins have ben trying to get one, at least that's what has been reported. We need a space eater in the middle. Griffin was that guy, but his performance has been declining since '06. Monty needs to step up, but he is very inconsistent, Golston IMO is a career back-up. He is solid depth, but nothing more. Lorenzo has shown promise, but IMO the team would best be served finding the big DT in this draft, roatating Monty and Lorenzo at the other spot, keeping Golston for depth and letting Griffin go. However, it's likely Griffin's contract keeps him here and we opt to not re-sign Golston.

I like what I've seen from Raji. I'd also be fine with any of the big 4 OTs in the draft. However, there is a chance that all 5 of those guys might be gone. I don't know if I'd reach as much for Jerry or someone like Britton who mocks have going in the 20s range. At that point, I'd first look to trade down (but I don't see many trading partners), otherwise get one of the top LBs that should be available.

As mentioned, we need OL, DL, and OLB. Also, this picture could change based on what we do in FA. I don't expect us to be as quiet as last year (no big moves until Taylor trade). I don't necessarily think we'll spend the big bucks, but I could see us bringing in 2-3 guys that can help address depth at least at those positions.

There's a lot of decisions that will happen before the draft, especially with our current holding of only 4 picks. I don't know if I'd have enough faith to pass on a good DT because of the supposed class next year, though. You address your needs that best you can.

Why is no one talking about Tyson Jackson? Talk about someone who will slide into the second and third rounds... He's GIGANTIC and while he might not be a sack machine he could most definitely hold his own against the run...

http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2008tjackson.php

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174931

Why is no one talking about Tyson Jackson? Talk about someone who will slide into the second and third rounds... He's GIGANTIC and while he might not be a sack machine he could most definitely hold his own against the run...

http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2008tjackson.php

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174931

I really like Jackson. Hopefully we can trade down and fill in all spots through the FA and draft and be able to acquire Jackson.

kdawg:

one we need a DT to replace cornelius griffin. golston/monty have not been able to produce ANY type of push through the middle. stuffing the run, yea sometimes but then even when we face big bruising backs we get punished. we need a dt that can demand that double team, who can even beat that double team. who can collapse that pocket that the qb has to step in.

Agree here. On all counts, despite our base scheme where the tackles job is to keep the guards off of the linebackers, this stuff is essential. An upgrade at DT could be used, absolutely.

taylor and carter can run around the edges.

Why did Andre Carter do so much better a season ago versus last season? Our line was the same except for one key and mostly over looked difference, and they performed quite similar to how they performed this past season.

u put a dt who can cause a problem for that offensive lineman, whether is this year or they fully develop next year then it will help out a. our blitz b. our ends c. our secondary. d to force turnovers

Why does it have to be a DT? And why do we have to draft one at that?

Take BPA available except for QB, Safety, WR. If its an OT, DT, DE, LB, CB, or RB take whoever is best at that position I personally think that we can wait one more year on the DT, our Oline won't wait much longer

21DIEHARDSKINSFAN21, I am in favor of trading down for the same reason Veretax is... while Monty/Griff/Gohlston are not world beaters ... they still can improve and Griff may not be done just yet. But our OL is super old.

IMO, we need to get better and younger on the OL at a faster rate than we do on the DL.

Though, if if we have to pick at #13 and Rajji is there, I would not be too upset at picking him. It's all a crap shoot, but I'd rather increase my odds by acquiring more picks and moving down to address multiple needs if possible.

K-Dawg -- I had a good laugh when I read your clever sirloin/ribeye analogy. I'm going to enjoy watching your posts leading up the draft.

That said --I tend to see the draft more like going to the hardware store, like when you're building/fixing a house you've got to live in. Building through the draft is like buying supplies for the long-haul, not a quick one-time consumption like buying food. What you buy has to support the other things you've already got in the works.

So you've also got to consider your strategies, keeping in mind what is needed and the priority of your needs. Do you replace your wiring and fuseboxes to support those expensive electric appliances you just invested in, or do you upgrade/overhaul your plumbing because you've noticed your pipes are starting to leak?

This year I see the O-line as the wiring/fuses needed to support those expensive new appliances (WRs, TEs, QBs) we recently obtained. Without them, our offense will continue to short circuit and we won't know if our "appliances" can actually do the jobs we wanted them to do. And, after all, maybe it's time the Redskins started 'cooking' on offense.

I see our needs at DT are like the leaking pipe -- we might see if we can get yet a little more mileage out of the current set-up, or we might simply need to jury-rig it to keep it working long enough for next year, when we have more money and room for a major overhaul and they'll be good deals available for qualityreplacement parts.

I mention good deals, because due to our earlier spending sprees we've now got to be cost-conscious. We've got to get the best value for our dollar-- and keep alert to when other items we need are going on sale. After all, this won't be our only "shopping trip."

This year we read how there'll be a glut of quality O-linemen, so maybe we might be able to trade down and snag few good ones --for a good price. And after all, we need good O-linemen, because we've invested all that earlier money on a QB and WRs. We haven't been able to give them enough protection to find out whether we actually have a decent passing game.

Now we also really need a good DT, but this year there aren't that many good ones available. So unless we're willing to remain high up in the draft and pay top-dollar for this year's premier DT -- we're probably going to have to settle one of the second-tier DTs where talent drops off considerably and we might have to over-pay compared to what we could obtain next year when a lot of good DTs become available.

And why should we settle for something not as good as what we can get next year? After all, once we buy, we're stuck with whatever we've settled for.

I'm a big fan of that LG from Auburn. I believe he would be an absoulte steal in the 3rd round, and every mock draft I have seen has him going between the 3rd and 5th rounds. This is why I honestly believe the 13th picks needs to turn into multiple picks by drafting back, and I honestly believe Vinny and comp are already planning on doing just that.

With that being said draft day can throw curve balls, so they need to be ready for anything. I for one believe the 13th pick is very good position for a team (like the Vikings) to want to trade up for a QB. I honestly believe Sanchez stock will draft before April. With teams like Chicago, and other looking for a QB I believe Minnesota MIGHT want to trade up in order to land him. Now, this is all a "madden like" scenerio, but I hope you get the general feel of where I'm going with this.

I hoping we can trade back into the late first round. Take the BPA for your system, and then use those extra picks (whatever they may be) on OL, and DL. I wouldn't be upset what so ever to see us trade back, and take the CB from Wake Forest. Hall, Springs, and Rogers one of which will NOT be on the roster next year, and Tyron seems to developing into more of a 4th or 5th Dime back. Why not take a kid who in my opinion can start in the Nickel slot right away. Yes, I believe he COULD beat out Smoot for that spot. Overall, I just feel there needs to be much more competition at indiviual positions on this football team, so I think that would certainly would add that plus fill a need.

K-Dawg - I had a good laugh when I read your clever sirloin/ribeye analogy. I'm going to enjoy watching your posts leading up the draft.

Thanks, but that wasn't me :) My analogies are boring and cliche most of the time :Laugh:

That was 21DIEHARD.

It was a great analogy as well. It should also be noted I'm not arguing with him, but rather trying to figure out exactly why he seems so high on a drafted DT :)

I like Cody (Alabama). A Shaun Rodgers type. Didnt get to play much in bowl game from what I saw, probably cause of the spread offense. Mistake on Sabans part. I watched other bama games and he was unstoppable in the middle. MAYBE, and Id get a better idea when I watch the combine and get more info, be able to trade down a little and still get him. In the 3rd I like his teammate A.Caldwell-center.

1 on 1's are a bit different than a game situation, but there is some cross-over to the game, so I'll give you some credit on that.

Team drills, sure.

Remember, though, Oher was still the only OT prospect in the game.

Not much different, the game is all about one on ones and you defeating the guy across from you. Might not be the SAME guy every time w/ stunts and blitzes. Yes the lines are considered a unit and have to play as one, but when the center calls out the scheme/protection. Its all about one on one.

It definitely wouldn't be a mistake, but I think we have more glaring and pressing needs on the o-line, particularly at guard; although taking a tackle wouldn't be a mistake either. I'd like to see us address those issues first, if possible.

My only concern at DT is Griff's age. If we were to take a DT, I'd like to see a kind of player with a particular skill-set, someone capable of playing from the three-technique. In lieu of that, I would take a DE like Kyle Moore, who I think would fit in wonderfully with Blache's schemes and might be versatile enough to slide down the line and play with various techniques.

However, in my heart of hearts, I think OLB is a position as weak as the o-line. It's primed for collapse if we don't add some much-needed depth and play making ability. This is a position I would address immediately, if this defense, as currently constituted, is to continue any kind of upward progress.

God I'd love to get Raji and Alex Mack somehow, I think Rabach needs to go. The reason I don't like #13 is that there is a possibility that Raji, and the big 4 OT's could be gone. I can't justify drafting Eben Britton that early. Jerry would NOT be a reach that guy is flat out dominant. Everytime I watch Peria Jerry he humiliates opposing linemen, this guy was unblockable against LSU, he was unblockable against Texas Tech and he dominated the Senior Bowl. As one mock draft said it best: "the 'Skins need passrushers like geeks need glasses"

ok well lets debate this:

you want us to draft a OT in the first round. in the senior bowl they stated that RAJI WAS UNSTOPPABLE. and the only person who could contain him SOMETIMES was alex mack.

it wasnt just the game. it was the 1-1 on drills and team drills.

I saw some of those 1-on-1 drills. He was dominant. I didn't see the game, but Raji was ridiculous. If he falls to 13, the FO would be dumb to pass on him.

. Yes the lines are considered a unit and have to play as one, but when the center calls out the scheme/protection. Its all about one on one.

Not really, no.

Tackles don't ever really face DTs in a game situation. It's a different type of player than you see at defensive end.

Second, when there's an uncovered guard and you have a big on big scheme, that guard and center will generally double team a DT that is in the 1 tech/2 read tech. It's not "all the same". The different positions are vastly different when going against each other.

1 on 1's always have some correlation of your skill level, but it's not as black and white as you're making it to be.

Not to mention zone schemes.

Archived