Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Freedom of religion, not Freedom From Religion

ljs

read what you quoted. There is a difference between believing there ought to be a wall of separation between church and state (as Thomas Jefferson did) and

yeah, no ****...and that has zero to do with what I said and the point of my post.

Which was, yes, there ARE "some" out there who want every miniscule aspect of religion removed from every corner of government, not just a "wall of separation". And that you'd be incredibly naive to think there isn't.

No offense but.......... 2 of those 3 types will not be hanging with the "correct" religion, therefore, when it all comes down to it (obviously assuming there is one), even if I never believed, I'll be in the same boat as most of the world...

But I appreciate you preventing traffic jams between 8-11am on Sunday's... Oh wait... nevermind, plenty of Sunday drivers to dispute that...

I would go further, but being moral-less I have decided to go pick up a male hooker, have sex with him(unprotected of course and premarital), while injecting heroin, then kill him...

~IONTOP the Moral-less

True not everyone can be blessed to be American/(Canadian/UK ) and Christian :rolleyes:

We've been frequenting Churches mere minutes from my house lately but we met this hispanic Pastor that I swear found the gospel in the ....

If that floats your boat enjoy.

People have a right to purge themselves out of society, the problem is when those actions are legislated into forcing the majority to accepting them as the norm and the majority responsible for the result of those actions if it causes damage to that person or others physically, financially and emotionally.

Bang, I'm getting you some Texas suntan oil to thicken that skin. I wasn't calling you a heathen or anything else of the sort.

I agreed with you the hypocrites in politics that throw labels and are caught sinning worse that their targets.

I did say people should leave the calling out the morally corrupt,heathens, etc to me :D

Just Jokes dude

Besides even if I was helping the big guy by checking tickets at the Pearly Gates they'd let you in when I point out the new Justice Guys hopefully coming out soon. :)

I'm glad, because I always have liked you, even when we disagree.

~Bang

Funny, I've never met a single one of these people, even here in the most liberal city in the nation. I wonder why that is.

You know, I would have said Berkeley, but according to this study, that's only #3. Gary, Indiana is #2, and Detroit, of all places, is #1.

You guys didn't even crack the top five. :)

WOW, thanks for putting me in a box. Let me explain something to you. I'm a woman, I'm a lesbian, I'm a Christain (although Navy Dave would disagree), AND I voted for Clinton, but this time I voted for McCain. So how about you stuff that into the box you're trying to put me in. :cheers:

Don't mind Midnight Judges. Anyone who isn't 100% in lock-step with him and Obama are automatically Hannity Republicans in his mind.

Oddly enough, I (a politically libertarian religiously evangelical Christian) am in the same box with you. Imagine that. :)

I would guess that the people who think Obama would phase out God, are the polar opposite of the people who though Bush would overturn Roe vs. Wade and teach creationism in schools. Neither will ever happen and both will/are dissapointed.

Would it be that big of a deal if the President didn't say "God Bless America?"

The only way I will speak out is if there is ever a movement towards theocracy, which will never happen.

I would go further, but being moral-less I have decided to go pick up a male hooker, have sex with him(unprotected of course and premarital), while injecting heroin, then kill him... If anyone comes close to the body I'll kill them too...

:laugh:

I'm atheist and I have no problem with people following or broadcasting there religion in ceremonies or whatever. I actually like talking to people with strong faith, as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat.

As an atheist, religion to me is something very interesting. I'm not gonna follow it but I love learning about it.

Hmm, I've never heard anyone claim he was going to take religion out of the government, not sure where that came from...I thought he was too religious and needs to tone it back a little, imo. Listening to the ceremony yesterday with the pastor's speech and readings, I did find it uncomfortable. I'm christian, though not religious by any means, and I found it somewhat annoying to continually praise a christian god for this country's existence and Obama's presidency.

Hmm, I've never heard anyone claim he was going to take religion out of the government, not sure where that came from...I thought he was too religious and needs to tone it back a little, imo. Listening to the ceremony yesterday with the pastor's speech and readings, I did find it uncomfortable. I'm christian, though not religious by any means, and I found it somewhat annoying to continually praise a christian god for this country's existence and Obama's presidency.

Its not Obama himself coming out and taking out religion, people believe some of his rabid backers will demand moves to diminish it by Obama appointing Judges in place to win battles for athiests starting at the grass roots level, heck you already have people and the ACLU suing to prevent the pledge of allegiance, prayer at Football Games and Graduations and they have a cow if students start them because one person might be offended or the parent of one person might be offended.

And the liberal Congress did an excellent job of stonewalling Bush's judicial appointments the past 3 years.

I'm atheist and I have no problem with people following or broadcasting there religion in ceremonies or whatever. I actually like talking to people with strong faith, as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat.

As an atheist, religion to me is something very interesting. I'm not gonna follow it but I love learning about it.

I'm agnostic rather than athiest but I'm with you. I've read the Bible. I've read the Koran. My mom's a buddhist and I've read up on that. I've been to church many times over the years. I attended Jumah Prayer at a Mosque for a year.

I don't appreciate people shoving it down my throat but I find it very interesting and I think you can actually take a lot out of all of them that will better you as a person.

I'm agnostic rather than athiest but I'm with you. I've read the Bible. I've read the Koran. My mom's a buddhist and I've read up on that. I've been to church many times over the years. I attended Jumah Prayer at a Mosque for a year.

I don't appreciate people shoving it down my throat but I find it very interesting and I think you can actually take a lot out of all of them that will better you as a person.

thats funny because I am a Christian and I dont like it being shoved down my throat. I think that it is up to you and me to decide what we want to hear and what we learn. If I ask you then I am open but if you decide to just come preaching to me and shoving it down my throat I am more likely to just turn and walk away.

Its not Obama himself coming out and taking out religion, people believe some of his rabid backers will demand moves to diminish it by Obama appointing Judges in place to win battles for athiests starting at the grass roots level, heck you already have people and the ACLU suing to prevent the pledge of allegiance, prayer at Football Games and Graduations and they have a cow if students start them because one person might be offended or the parent of one person might be offended.

And the liberal Congress did an excellent job of stonewalling Bush's judicial appointments the past 3 years.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the ACLU and others trying to remove the pledge and prayers at events. If everything was truly equal and there was actual tolerance, Christianity and god would never be shoved in the publics face, with no set of beliefs being superior to another.

thats funny because I am a Christian and I dont like it being shoved down my throat. I think that it is up to you and me to decide what we want to hear and what we learn. If I ask you then I am open but if you decide to just come preaching to me and shoving it down my throat I am more likely to just turn and walk away.

That's exactly was I was going to say. I'm educated and old enough to make my own opinions and decisions. I think my life is satisfying thus far.

Yeah that is strange and when it comes to calling out the morally corrupt, evil heathens that should be left to me. :D

Casting the stones is not your job, you will be judged by the true uncorrupted. It's too bad you can't take the sun tan lotion with you.

That's exactly was I was going to say. I'm educated and old enough to make my own opinions and decisions. I think my life is satisfying thus far.

when I come to you or to church OF COURSE I want to hear it. But dont tell me I am going to Hell just because I am having a beer or being rowdy.

When you said the ACLU "doesn't care about most of these things", I'm assuming that "most of these things" = "religion out of government". If so...then there's a lot of evidence that the ACLU does indeed care about "most of these things" lol :)...

The "most of those things" listed in the original post were not things that the ACLU would care about at all. Obama went to church in the morning, Obama swore in on a Bible, a Christian pastor spoke at the inauguration, he went to church again.... The ACLU doesn't care about any of those things.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the ACLU and others trying to remove the pledge and prayers at events. If everything was truly equal and there was actual tolerance, Christianity and god would never be shoved in the publics face, with no set of beliefs being superior to another.
That's a fallacy.

The public is not equal. By their nature, values and beliefs held by one person will always be considered to be superior to those of another person.

Its like the myth of inclusiveness. It can never happen; a pipe dream. Somebody or something will always be excluded. This happens anytime a statement of belief is made.

But if you want to believe in myths like that, go ahead. Or you can believe something real, like Jesus Christ. :)

Archived