Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Freedom of religion, not Freedom From Religion

ljs

I like how some (notice I said some) Christians believe that when atheists want to separate govt and church, they automatically say "It's only targeted at Christians." To me, I'm an equal opportunity religion disliker, Jewish, Muslim, or Christian I think the same about them all...

Because athiests never show the cajones to snivel about Muslims perks on the air.

There are Jewish, Muslims and Christian types who believe that you are doing your part to prevent standing room only situations inside the Pearly Gates due to your stance and I for one appreciate it. :D:)

Enjoy your religion, and I'll enjoy my non religion, and we'll all get along just fine.

~Bang

I agree, and i thought it was an important part of his speech when he said

For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength' date=' not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus – [b']and non-believers.[/b] We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth; and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace.

He specifically included religious people AND non-believers. As an agnostic (and someone who isnt totally sold on Obama), that stood out to me and I give him a lot of credit for that. Politicians NEVER include non-believers, except to attack them as heathens/evil people/morally corrupt (which is funny coming from politicians.)

This, in a nutshell, is why I think Obama is going to find the road to re-election tougher. There are millions of people out there who think the election of Obama meant they were going get checks from Obama, free healthcare from Obama, a new better paying job from Obama, and a new house with no mortgage. These people will hesitate rushing to the polls in four years if they haven't received what they perceived as promised for electing the Messiah.

And.. as for religion and govt.... isn't it the left that is always crying about religion corrupting govt? The same ones who cry "separation of church and state"... believing it's a Constitutional amendment... when in fact it was a phrased penned by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to John Adams.

I agree that Obama set the bar very high and made a TON of promises. I dont think he'll be able to keep them all. I also think people took his message of "hope" and decided that Obama believed whatever they WANTED him to believe. I met a lot of people over the past 2 years that said Obama believe X, because they believed X.......but it just wasnt true.

The classic rule to live by in sales has always been "Under promise, over deliver." Obama is doing the opposite. Thankfully for him, he's a likeable enough guy, that people will vote for him just due to that in 4 years unless he really craps the bed and gets NOTHING done.

I am all for the seperation of church and state, and i dont see why a person that is very religious cant do his job without invoking his religion. People that hope to get devine guidance for all the choices they make in life scare the **** out of me.

You guys are SERIOUSLY overlooking one important logic fact:

ljsheeley said in their opening post the following: "For example, a quote in this morning's local paper, 'I'm glad Obama is now our president, because he will take religion out of the government all together.'"

Not to be dickish, but I'd like to see a link to the article in the newspaper. It may have been taken out of context or even just misread. :2cents:

Politicians NEVER include non-believers, except to attack them as heathens/evil people/morally corrupt (which is funny coming from politicians.)

Yeah that is strange and when it comes to calling out the morally corrupt, evil heathens that should be left to me. :D

He went to church yesterday morning, a tradition on Inaguration day.

He put his hand on Lincoln's BIBLE, to swear in as our President.

A Christian Pastor spoke at his Inaguration

He is attending another church ceremony this morning.

So why do some people think that Obama will now take religion completely out of the government?

They don't. You just made that up or more likely you heard if from somone who made it up and you are simply parroting them.

Why do some people think he has all the power?

Don't know who you are referring to here. Please show me where anyone said the President has the power to completely remove all references and traditions of religion from Government. This should be rather easy since you clearly have someone specific in mind and are not just talking out of your arse.

This is in response to several comments I've heard Locally, not necessarily here on ES. For example, a quote in this morning's local paper, "I'm glad Obama is now our president, because he will take religion out of the government all together."

What is your local paper? Link please. I googled your quote and came up with nothing which means either your local paper isn't online or you completely made up the quote in which case you should have indicated this was not an actual quote, but rather your interpretation (chances are misrepresentation) of what someone said.

I understand, and agree that there shouldn't be a government sponsored religion, but why are some (please realize I said "some") people trying to make religion, specifically Christian religion, disapear completely?

They're not. This is either a figment of your imagination or again, you're in the bad habit of believing what you hear on Republican radio.

Maybe those of you who are athiest, or agnostic can shed some light on this idea that Obama will take religion out of government, cause I really don't see him doing that. At least not in the sense that some people want/think

I'm an atheist, but it really doesn't matter what I say now does it? In your mind, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity speak for me.

Not to be dickish, but I'd like to see a link to the article in the newspaper. It may have been taken out of context or even just misread. :2cents:

Doesn't matter, though...the reactions have all misread the initial post anyway lol. It'd be one thing if we had 2 pages of posts saying "I find it hard to believe someone would say that"...but instead we had two pages of people pretty much overlooking what the "quote" said, and more or less ignoring the original question...all in an apparent attempt to throw some stones at churchgoers and the christian right. I just found it funny lol...

This, in a nutshell, is why I think Obama is going to find the road to re-election tougher. There are millions of people out there who think the election of Obama meant they were going get checks from Obama, free healthcare from Obama, a new better paying job from Obama, and a new house with no mortgage. These people will hesitate rushing to the polls in four years if they haven't received what they perceived as promised for electing the Messiah.

Yeah, that's what Rush and Hannity said. I mean, otherwise why would they have voted for this guy?

Funny, I've never met a single one of these people, even here in the most liberal city in the nation. I wonder why that is.

And.. as for religion and govt.... isn't it the left that is always crying about religion corrupting govt? The same ones who cry "separation of church and state"... believing it's a Constitutional amendment... when in fact it was a phrased penned by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to John Adams.

And implied in the language of the First Amendment, and firmly ensconced in innumerable Supreme Court decisions over many decades.

You guys are SERIOUSLY overlooking one important logic fact:

ljsheeley said in their opening post the following: "For example, a quote in this morning's local paper, 'I'm glad Obama is now our president, because he will take religion out of the government all together.'"

They're "GLAD" he'll remove religion from the government? Does that sound like a right-wing church-goer to you?

Nah, it sounds like a misguided person who will be disappointed when it doesn't happen. Even though the political ploy by the religious right applies, they're not the only ones who hear it and are affected by it. Obviously, it's fooled some of Obama's supporters, too.

~Bang

I think that if Limbaugh, O'Reily, Hannity, or Coulter told their sheep that Obama would take away their Christianity, then the sheep would indeed believe that to be a truth.

First of all, it was someone who doesn't want religion associated w/ government who says this, not the listed men above. I have never heard any of them say that Obama will take away religion, I have never beleived he will.

My point of this thread, religion or otherwise, is that some people, who voted FOR Obama, think he will come in office and make these radical changes. i.e- send them money, take religion away completely. I think that is laughable, cause even I as a conservative don't believe that crap.

Yeah that is strange and when it comes to calling out the morally corrupt, evil heathens that should be left to me. :D

Continuing to call me morally corrupt because I don't believe in God is seriously insulting.

I don't expect you to understand that, but it really is.

I guarantee you if you never knew my religious beliefs, you'd find me to be a person that follows the teachings of your Savior a lot closer than a lot of your "morally superior" friends.

Ignorance is ugly Dave. This is something you really should learn.

~Bang

I can take a pic and post it tomorrow. But the specific religion quote is in the Coeur D'Alene Press newspaper. I don't know if a link would work, cause what they did was post 5 different quotes of locals on their reaction to the Inaguration. They put the quotes under the actual article. I definitely did not mis read it. I actually read it sevearl times to make SURE I didn't mis read it.

Nah, it sounds like a misguided person who will be disappointed when it doesn't happen. Even though the political ploy by the religious right applies, they're not the only ones who hear it and are affected by it. Obviously, it's fooled some of Obama's supporters, too.

~Bang

Very true...although this "misguided person" is merely misguided and is limited to one person, as where when it's someone on the republican side they are seen as representing the entire side of the political isle. It becomes a whole flock of "sheep", tons of churchgoers in middle America, and the result of numerous conservative commentators and republican smear ads lol.

For me personally, I haven't heard much made on either side of Obama's effect on religion and politics when he takes office, so this topic kinda caught me off guard. I've heard some stupid and unrealistic things said by both republicans and democrats alike concerning what "should" happen if/when Obama got elected (more from the repub side, of course lol...but then again, you always hear more of that dreck from the opposition), but "religion out of politics" has never been one of the things talked about much, if at all.

They don't. You just made that up or more likely you heard if from somone who made it up and you are simply parroting them. .

ok jerk, I don't lie and I don't make things up. I just responded to the question for the quote. The other things I heard, were FROM OBAMA SUPPORTERS, not on the radio.

Don't know who you are referring to here. Please show me where anyone said the President has the power to completely remove all references and traditions of religion from Government. This should be rather easy since you clearly have someone specific in mind and are not just talking out of your arse. .

Read my post again, I said it was NOT on ES..local people, people at work, hearing conversations. If you read a lot of my posts, you'd know I'm a lesbian, I have most ALL liberal/gay friends. Some of THEM said this too.

What is your local paper? Link please. I googled your quote and came up with nothing which means either your local paper isn't online or you completely made up the quote in which case you should have indicated this was not an actual quote, but rather your interpretation (chances are misrepresentation) of what someone said. .

Again, I just posted it above. I read it in the Coeur D'Alene press. The quotes were not in an actual article, but rather posted below it from a reporter who went around asking people for their views/opinions.

They're not. This is either a figment of your imagination or again, you're in the bad habit of believing what you hear on Republican radio. .

Once again, I'm hearing this from OBAMA SUPPORTERS, NOT anyone on the conservative side.

I'm an atheist, but it really doesn't matter what I say now does it? In your mind, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity speak for me.

WOW, thanks for putting me in a box. Let me explain something to you. I'm a woman, I'm a lesbian, I'm a Christain (although Navy Dave would disagree), AND I voted for Clinton, but this time I voted for McCain. So how about you stuff that into the box you're trying to put me in. :cheers:

I understand, and agree that there shouldn't be a government sponsored religion, but why are some (please realize I said "some") people trying to make religion, specifically Christian religion, disapear completely?

They're not. This is either a figment of your imagination or again, you're in the bad habit of believing what you hear on Republican radio.

You can NOT be that naive lol...

There are "some" groups of people who are trying to do every-damn-thing on the list when it comes to the government: trying to make abortion illegal...trying to make drugs legal...trying to take the words "under God" out of the pledge of alligiance...trying to make gay marriage legal...trying to make gay marriage illegal lol...trying to get the government to try Bush for war crimes...trying to get Clinton charged with rape...etc, etc, yadda yadda...

But no, nobody is trying to get all aspects of religion out of gubmint, no sir :rolleyes:...and nobody alive is trying to specifically get christianity out of goverment. That's the one thing nobody, anywhere, is trying to do.

yeah, ok.

Continuing to call me morally corrupt because I don't believe in God is seriously insulting.

I guarantee you if you never knew my religious beliefs, you'd find me to be a person that follows the teachings of your Savior a lot closer than a lot of your "morally superior" friends.

~Bang

It's ok Bang...You're morally corrupt and I'm a sexual deviant:silly:

We should go have a beer!:cheers:

There are Jewish, Muslims and Christian types who believe that you are doing your part to prevent standing room only situations inside the Pearly Gates due to your stance and I for one appreciate it. :D:)

No offense but.......... 2 of those 3 types will not be hanging with the "correct" religion, therefore, when it all comes down to it (obviously assuming there is one), even if I never believed, I'll be in the same boat as most of the world...

But I appreciate you preventing traffic jams between 8-11am on Sunday's... Oh wait... nevermind, plenty of Sunday drivers to dispute that...

I would go further, but being moral-less I have decided to go pick up a male hooker, have sex with him(unprotected of course and premarital), while injecting heroin, then kill him... If anyone comes close to the body I'll kill them too...

~IONTOP the Moral-less

~Bang

Bang, I'm getting you some Texas suntan oil to thicken that skin. I wasn't calling you a heathen or anything else of the sort.

I agreed with you the hypocrites in politics that throw labels and are caught sinning worse that their targets.

I did say people should leave the calling out the morally corrupt,heathens, etc to me :D

Just Jokes dude

Besides even if I was helping the big guy by checking tickets at the Pearly Gates they'd let you in when I point out the new Justice Guys hopefully coming out soon. :)

You can NOT be that naive lol...

But no, nobody is trying to get all aspects of religion out of gubmint, no sir :rolleyes:...and nobody alive is trying to specifically get christianity out of goverment. That's the one thing nobody, anywhere, is trying to do.

yeah, ok.

read what you quoted. There is a difference between believing there ought to be a wall of separation between church and state (as Thomas Jefferson did) and

trying to make religion, specifically Christian religion, disapear completely?

Archived