Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

6 Insane Discoveries That Science Can't Explain

China

And then there were 5... :D

World's First Computer Rebuilt, Rebooted After 2,000 Years

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/12/2000-year-old-a.html

Thats only part of the puzzle however.

The mechanism, aside from placing you at serious risk for severing a finger, was supposedly used to figure out astronomical positions. The problem with that is that at the time this thing was made, no one had yet discovered laws of gravity or how heavenly bodies moved.

I'm not sure how much of these types of things I believe. Everytime I see a documentary, article, etc about some ancient mystery from beyond it seems the the writers of that article conspicuously leave out important details that would shatter the mysterious aura. Not saying that this is the case here, but like others have said, I've thought that about other so called "unsolved mysteries."

Those pipes in China are interesting as ****. Well built metal pipes in the middle of ****ing nowhere stretching through a mountain in an area uninhabitable to people. Let your imagination go on that one, it's pretty awesome.

they're, more than likely, the product of natural self-organization processes...

Natural concretionary pipe-like features, which are quite similar to the Baigong Pipes, occur in the Navajo Sandstone and other sandstones of Southwestern United States in the form of hematite "pipes". Hematite also occurs as other masses of diagenetic "ironstone" that exhibit a wide and amazing range of bizarre shapes, which can be described as both "strangely shaped stones" and "rusty scraps". For example, strangely shaped stones, pipe-like features, and other concretionary masses have been observed and described from the Navajo and other Jurassic sandstones within Utah and adjacent states. Brenda Beitler notes the presence of hollow "subhorizontal planar strata-bound pipes" and "vertical pipes", which have been created by the precipitation of hematite within the Navajo Sandstone. In addition, the bleached sandstone seen in the picture of the cave entrance is typical of sandstones, in which natural pipe-like features have been found. The pipe-like features are the result of natural self-organization processes, which occur during the precipitation of iron oxides within sedimentary rocks.

Also, Cylindrical structures very similar to the Baigong Pipes have also been found protruding from outcrops of Pliocene Citronelle Formation in the Florida parishes of Louisiana and in older Pleistocene fluvial sediments within South-central Louisiana. These structures are as much as 70 cm in diameter and 100 cm in depth. Detailed studies of these cylindrical structures found that they were created by the formation of ironstone rims around tap roots of pine trees by soil forming processes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baigong_Pipes

That was.......................disappointing. I was hoping for something more unusual, like a screaming sound or something you might imagine like a giant dragon sea monster would make.

yea i agree, i was hoping for something more myself. it still is interesting though simply because how loud it apparently was, though the file doesn't do it any justice.

yea i agree, i was hoping for something more myself. it still is interesting though simply because how loud it apparently was, though the file doesn't do it any justice.

I guess two devices picking that sound up 3,000 miles apart at the same time is the impressive part.

Though I'm inclined to believe it was really just Fat **** taking a dump.

#3.The Giant Stone Balls of Costa Rica

balls2.jpg

The Mystery:

Costa Rica and a few surrounding areas are scattered with giant stone balls. They are smooth and perfectly spherical, or nearly so. Some of them are quite small, a few inches in diameter, but some of them are as large as eight feet in diameter weighing several tons.

They have been chiseled to perfection by persons unknown, despite the fact that Costa Rica is still not scheduled to enter the Bronze Age until 2013. The are balls everywhere and serve no apparent purpose, like a swing club on Gentlemen's Night.

And God said, "It's nice, but could use some more purposeless balls."

Some of the balls have been blasted apart by locals hoping to find gold, coffee beans, or even babies. Some have been rolled around, but some are too heavy to move even with a bulldozer. Not that they have bulldozers in Costa Rica.

Why Can't They Solve It?

About the most useful information anyone has gotten is that there are not, under any circumstance, any quarries anywhere near the balls. This information is actually useless considering the balls are carved from volcanic rock.

Our Guess:

balls3.jpg

In 1,000 years the eggs of the stone men will hatch, and their offspring will emerge to rule the Earth.

AC/DC -

I've got big balls

Oh, I've got big balls

And they're such big balls

Dirty big balls

And he's got big balls

And she's got big balls

But we've got the biggest balls of them all

Where did you read "metal pipes"?

Probably here?...Iron is metal still ain't it?;)

The Mystery:

In an area of China not known to ever contain people, let alone industry, there are three mysterious triangular openings on top of a mountain containing hundreds of ancient rusty iron pipes of unknown origin. Some of the pipes go deep into the mountain. Some of them go into a nearby salt water lake. There are more pipes in the lake, and more still running east-west along the lake shore. Some of the larger pipes are 40 cm in diameter, are of uniform size and are placed in what seems like purposeful patterns.

So what's the big deal? Well, archaeologists have dated the pipes to a time when people were still trying to figure out how to cook meat without setting their back-hair on fire, let alone casting iron.

So what's the big deal? Well, archaeologists have dated the pipes to a time when people were still trying to figure out how to cook meat without setting their back-hair on fire, let alone casting iron.

which is why they were probably caused by a natural formation...after all, there are apparently similar natural-forming "metal pipes" in the southwest U.S. and Florida/Louisiana.

Well, your very own Reic is studying to become a Marine Biologist.

I will make that bloop mystery my biotch :)

Giant squid caught out of Palm Beach last week. With the growing popularity of daytime sword fishing, there has been some strange things braught to the surface. We fish any where from 3,000 feet to as deep as it gets. ewwww

• 2 years later...
6 Insane Discoveries That Science Can't Explain

We like to feel superior to the people who lived centuries ago, what with their ****ty mud huts and curing colds by drilling a hole in their skulls. But we have to give them credit: They left behind some artifacts that have left the smartest of modern scientists scratching their heads.

For instance, you have the following enigmas that we believe were created for no other purpose than to **** with future generations.

#6.The Voynich Manuscript

voynich.jpg

The Mystery:

The Voynich manuscript is an ancient book that has thwarted all attempts at deciphering its contents. And it's not like some idiot just scribbled a bunch of nonsense on paper and went, "Figure THIS out, ****wads." It is actually an organized book with a consistent script, discernible organization and detailed illustrations.

It appears to be a real language--just one that nobody has seen before. And it really does appear to mean something. But nobody knows what.

voynich3.jpg

Translation: "...and when you get her to put the tennis racket in her mouth, have her stand in a fountain for a while. Then draw pictures of her."

There is not even a consensus on who wrote it, or even when it was written. And we sure as **** don't know why.

Why Can't They Solve It?

Could you?

Don't even try. Expert military code-breakers, cryptographers, mathematicians, linguists, people who get paid to find and decipher patterns, have all been left unable to decipher a single word.

As you can imagine, proposed solutions have been all over the board, from reasonable to completely clown****. Some say it's an unbreakable code that requires a key to solve. Some say it's a hoax, and a damned fine one if we do say ourselves. Some say it's glossolalia, which is the fine art of speaking or writing something you don't understand but that is being channeled to you by God or aliens or whatever (note that the word was chosen specifically to make you sound retarded when saying it).

Our Guess:

It's written in English, by a person who was extremely ****ty at writing in English.

Experts determine age of book 'nobody can read'

(PhysOrg.com) -- While enthusiasts across the world pored over the Voynich manuscript, one of the most mysterious writings ever found – penned by an unknown author in a language no one understands – a research team at the UA solved one of its biggest mysteries: When was the book made?

University of Arizona researchers have cracked one of the puzzles surrounding what has been called "the world's most mysterious manuscript" – the Voynich manuscript, a book filled with drawings and writings nobody has been able to make sense of to this day.

Using radiocarbon dating, a team led by Greg Hodgins in the UA's department of physics has found the manuscript's parchment pages date back to the early 15th century, making the book a century older than scholars had previously thought.

This tome makes the "DaVinci Code" look downright lackluster: Rows of text scrawled on visibly aged parchment, flowing around intricately drawn illustrations depicting plants, astronomical charts and human figures bathing in – perhaps – the fountain of youth. At first glance, the "Voynich manuscript" appears to be not unlike any other antique work of writing and drawing.

An alien language

But a second, closer look reveals that nothing here is what it seems. Alien characters, some resembling Latin letters, others unlike anything used in any known language, are arranged into what appear to be words and sentences, except they don't resemble anything written – or read – by human beings.

Hodgins, an assistant research scientist and assistant professor in the UA's department of physics with a joint appointment at the UA's School of Anthropology, is fascinated with the manuscript.

"Is it a code, a cipher of some kind? People are doing statistical analysis of letter use and word use – the tools that have been used for code breaking. But they still haven't figured it out."

Click on the link for the full article

It is fascinating how few people believe pipe-like structures could just naturally come into existence at one or two places on the whole earth over the course of a few billion years.

It's also fascinating how most of these same people are not the least bit incredulous when told that humans and animals with multiple thousands of intricate, precise, and often interdependent bodily systems, just all came together from chance accidental mutations over those same billions of years.

It is fascinating how few people believe pipe-like structures could just naturally come into existence at one or two places on the whole earth over the course of a few billion years.

It's also fascinating how most of these same people are not the least bit incredulous when told that humans and animals with multiple thousands of intricate, precise, and often interdependent bodily systems, just all came together from chance accidental mutations over those same billions of years.

I think the pipes were already debunked some time ago... Ill look for a link, but i believe i read that somewhere.

Im more interested in the "Bloop". I would love to find out what the hell that thing could be. I am also fascinated by the Voynich Manuscript and the ancient device with the cogs on it.

I once remember reading about a cast block of aluminum that was found in a rock deposit so deep it was puzzling how it got there, seeing as aluminum is a man made alloy. That same article compared it to a piece of aluminum landing gear of some sort. Ive tried googling it but I havent been ableto come accross that article since.

Im a nerd. These kinds of things fascinate the hell out of me.

Archived