Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Plate-sized spider found in Mekong

China

Plate-sized spider found in Mekong

December 15, 2008

Article from: The Times

STRIPED rabbits, bright pink millipedes laced with cyanide and a spider bigger than a dinner plate are among a host of new species discovered in a remote wildlife hotspot.

The Greater Mekong is described as one of the last scientifically unexplored regions of the world and it abounds in life seen nowhere else in the world.

So little is known about the ecology of the region that previously unknown animals and plants have been turning up at a rate of two a week for a decade.

At least 1,068 new species were identified in the Greater Mekong from 1997 to 2007 along with several thousand tiny invertebrates.

Annamite striped rabbits, Nesolagus timminsi, with black and brown fur, were discovered in Vietnam and Laos in 2000 and are only the second species of striped rabbit to be identified.

The other is in Sumatra, the two sharing a common ancestor that lived several million years ago. Among the most bizarre to be discovered was a hot-pink, spiny dragon millipede, Desmoxytes purpurosea.

Several were found simultaneously in Thailand as they crawled over limestone rocks and palm leaves.

To defend themselves from predators the millipedes have glands that produce cyanide. Scientists believe that the shocking-pink colouration is to signal to predators that they would make a fatal snack. "They would do well to heed this warning," concluded a WWF report on the Greater Mekong discoveries.

A huntsman spider, named Heteropoda maxima, measured 30cm across and was found in caves in Laos. It was described as the "most remarkable" of 88 new species of spider located in Laos, Thailand and the Yunnan province of China.

The Greater Mekong comprises 600,000 square kilometres of wetlands and rainforest along 2,800 miles of the Mekong River in Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam and China. Wars, internal problems and the remoteness of the region kept most international scientists away for decades but in the 1990s it began to be surveyed extensively for its wildlife.

Click on the link for the full article

article said it was a type of huntsman spider...I don't think they are deadly.

No, but you can bet your tuckus it's fast. In the Hawaiian islands there are cane spiders, so named because -- duh -- they like to hang out in the sugar cane fields. I have pretty big hands, and I've seen these suckers as large as my hands with the fingers spread out.

They're also hunters, rather than web-builders, and they move UNBELIEVABLY fast. It's genuinely scary to see one of those suckers haul ass down a wall, or across a floor.

Brrrr...

Archived