Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Rabach one of the best centers in the NFL"...SINCE WHEN!?

corrupt3d

So Rabach gets called for two penalties in a game, both of which negate touchdowns. Now, for the rest of his career, Redskins fans will shake their heads and complain knowingly that Rabach commits killing penalties. This will happen even if Rabach plays penalty-free for the rest of his career. Sometimes perception is so much more compelling than reality.

Of course that all depends on what we do in FA. Say we give Jordan Gross a payday to be our RT for the next decade.

Do we then use our 1st on Alex Mack pretty much making our OL light years better in pass protection, or would we go for an OLB or DL or even a guard?

Sounds like plan - I think we obviously have to explore making some deals though in an effort to acquire more picks but I think we can still be in a position to get a top tier C/OG even if we do.

Jordan Gross IMO should be the primary FA we look at but I doubt Carolina is going to let him go, especially if Fox stays :2cents:

Sounds like plan - I think we obviously have to explore making some deals though in an effort to acquire more picks but I think we can still be in a position to get a top tier C/OG even if we do.

Jordan Gross IMO should be the primary FA we look at but I doubt Carolina is going to let him go, especially if Fox stays :2cents:

He has already been franchised by them once, not sure if it was last year or not though.

People need to get over the whole argument of chicken and the egg...

our problem is 2 fold...

1) Rabach and Jansen are getting older.. have declined a bit.. and do occasionally get owned by really good DLmen. Samuels is usually a rock but is playing hurt.

2) Jason Campbell holds onto the ball too long. His release is too slow.

Both of those things are true. One is not causing the other... they work together to create a near league leading number of allowed sacks.

If Jason is quicker with his reads and release.. the OL doesn't look quite as bad... if Samuels isn't hurt and Rabach and Jansen are playing like they did a couple years ago.. then Jason would have that extra couple seconds he generally needs to find the open man.. and wouldn't get sacked as much and would complete more downfield passes.

They are both a problem.

end of story.

So Rabach gets called for two penalties in a game, both of which negate touchdowns. Now, for the rest of his career, Redskins fans will shake their heads and complain knowingly that Rabach commits killing penalties. This will happen even if Rabach plays penalty-free for the rest of his career. Sometimes perception is so much more compelling than reality.

San Diego game in 2005 says hi. If he doesn't screw that game up, we win and would have ended up as division champs.

People need to get over the whole argument of chicken and the egg...

our problem is 2 fold...

1) Rabach and Jansen are getting older.. have declined a bit.. and do occasionally get owned by really good DLmen. Samuels is usually a rock but is playing hurt.

2) Jason Campbell holds onto the ball too long. His release is too slow.

Both of those things are true. One is not causing the other... they work together to create a near league leading number of allowed sacks.

If Jason is quicker with his reads and release.. the OL doesn't look quite as bad... if Samuels isn't hurt and Rabach and Jansen are playing like they did a couple years ago.. then Jason would have that extra couple seconds he generally needs to find the open man.. and wouldn't get sacked as much and would complete more downfield passes.

They are both a problem.

end of story.

Pretty much the problem here. It's a problematic combination.

I can think of QBs that would perform very well behind the Redskins OL. But what OLs are there that can adequately protect a talented but still developing QB that is indecisive?

Rabach is average and was built for the Gibbs scheme more than the WCO. He is a guy we should keep, though, because his contract is reasonable. I don't like his penalties, but he is solid. I do think, though, that we should use our 3rd round pick on Jeff Byers from USC. Byers was the Gatorade National Player of the Year in high school and has been ravaged by injuries since, but he has been a beast when he is on the field.

San Diego game in 2005 says hi. If he doesn't screw that game up, we win and would have ended up as division champs.

Did he do anything on that play differently that many other OL don't do, other than get caught?

There's holding on every play. It only counts if an official sees it. The Giant OL is an absolute machine this season, but I saw some pretty blatant holding done by them on Sunday that didn't draw a flag. On the play that O'Hara got hurt on, he was outright tackling the guy he was "blocking".

Holding calls are pretty arbitrary.

I knew he was dominate when he could block Shawn Rogers... After the Browns game I stopped questioning him.

He couldn't handle Shawn Rogers. I forget what the blocking assignment was but it was to either pull a tackle inside to block rogers one on one and have Rabach to accelerate into the second level and start pancaking LBers. That's why CP had such a monster day.

Rabach is average and was built for the Gibbs scheme more than the WCO. He is a guy we should keep, though, because his contract is reasonable. I don't like his penalties, but he is solid. I do think, though, that we should use our 3rd round pick on Jeff Byers from USC. Byers was the Gatorade National Player of the Year in high school and has been ravaged by injuries since, but he has been a beast when he is on the field.

So you would have us draft an injury prone player who is constantly ravaged by injuries and rarely makes the field.

Awesome logic there

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/casey_rabach_the_link_between.html#more

Look, I like Rabach, I really do. Seems like a solid guy.

But there's no way I buy the fact that he's one of the better C's in the league. I'd put him at middle of the pack.

The thing is, Harbaugh wouldn't have made such a comment if he didn't believe in it. I'm sure he understands the weight behind "one of the best in the league", and probably would have said "a pretty good C" or something.

I may be reading too much into it, he could be buttering up the competition but I'd figure on the NFL level, especially with a vet like Rabach, it aint worth it.

I'm probably gonig out on a limb but what the hey ...

WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU KNOW ABOUT CENTERS IN THE NFL?

HOW MANY CAN YOU NAME?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A GOOD CENTER?

amazing ... :doh:

Casey Rabach is an above average center in this league. He is not the most physically dominant guy out there, but he's smart, tough, and very good at getting to the second level and blocking on the move.

The problem with this line is Jansen in pass pro. He's incredibly bad at pass pro, and it affects the other players around him. Defenses are targeting Jansen's side for the blitz because he is so slow to set and can't hold his ground even once he does. That requires Thomas to help out Jansen, which in turn leaves Rabach singled up on a DT, which is not a good matchup for virtually any center in the league. It's good scheme by the opposing defenses to take advantage of Jansen's weakness. We can either keep people like Cooley in to help out, which limits our options downfield, slide help Jansen's way which exposes the middle of the line, or just deal with constant QB pressure from the edge if we leave Jansen without help.

Jansen is the root of the problem, he needs to go, yesterday. Don't blame Rabach for being put in bad situation. Blame the guy who got him thrown under the bus like that by failing to hold up his end.

Thank you!!! Good analysis. Are you former OL? :)

I have heard some talk of moving other OL to C (esp. Jansen). What some of those posters may not understand is that unless a guy has previous experience at C in a system where the C calls the line play, he shouldn't be moved there. Without the previous experience of calling line adjustments an OL can make mistakes - anything from slightly misreading the DL to forgetting that you must make line adjustment calls and completely blowing pass pro resulting in a sack or worse. Even those who have done it would have to adjust to the Redskins-specific calls, which could take a few weeks.

Replace Jansen please.

Thank you!!! Good analysis. Are you former OL? :)

I have heard some talk of moving other OL to C (esp. Jansen). What some of those posters may not understand is that unless a guy has previous experience at C in a system where the C calls the line play, he shouldn't be moved there. Without the previous experience of calling line adjustments an OL can make mistakes - anything from slightly misreading the DL to forgetting that you must make line adjustment calls and completely blowing pass pro resulting in a sack or worse. Even those who have done it would have to adjust to the Redskins-specific calls, which could take a few weeks.

Replace Jansen please.

No, I've never played O-line. Backup at WR and safety for one year was all I ever played outside of a back yard.

No, I guess I just have a bit more curiosity about how everything works than the average person, and I tend to really focus on the details. I often find myself watching a certain player or players for an entire play and missing what was going on with the ball. LOL! The individual roles of all the players and how they affect the others I find fascinating.

So you would have us draft an injury prone player who is constantly ravaged by injuries and rarely makes the field.

Awesome logic there

No more like I'm willing to take a risk on such a talented player that I would probably find in Day 2 and groom him to be the replacement for Rabach...dbag

No more like I'm willing to take a risk on such a talented player that I would probably find in Day 2 and groom him to be the replacement for Rabach...dbag

Who would only be constantly ravaged by injuries once he hit the field after he was groomed.

If you can't argue your points like an adult and refrain from name calling, then don't post.

You're 20, act like it.

First of all, that's what coaches do the week before a game - pump up their opponents in the weekly press call. Do you think he'd say something like, "Rabach is their weak link. We know we can take advantage of him."?

Coaches don't stir things up like that, even if they know it's true.

Mentally, Rabach might be a great center (we can't tell), but we can see the penalties and bad snaps that seem to happen much too often. Generally, it seems centers are hardly ever penalized. That's not true of 61. And his bad snaps at crucial times are killers.

Speaking of bad snaps, has anyone noticed Albright has been shaky lately? A lot of high snaps on field goals (see Suisham's last miss). Watch him.

I never hear coaches speak about the opposing center. He had no reason to mention Rabach.

Archived