Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Rabach one of the best centers in the NFL"...SINCE WHEN!?

corrupt3d

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/casey_rabach_the_link_between.html#more

Ravens Coach John Harbaugh said that Rabach's name has been mentioned often in their meetings and he called Rabach one of the best centers in the NFL. "He's kind of the glue that holds that whole thing together. Apparantly he makes a lot of the calls for them in there, and he's a very physical, smart player."

Look, I like Rabach, I really do. Seems like a solid guy.

But there's no way I buy the fact that he's one of the better C's in the league. I'd put him at middle of the pack.

The thing is, Harbaugh wouldn't have made such a comment if he didn't believe in it. I'm sure he understands the weight behind "one of the best in the league", and probably would have said "a pretty good C" or something.

I may be reading too much into it, he could be buttering up the competition but I'd figure on the NFL level, especially with a vet like Rabach, it aint worth it.

Maybe he's one of the smarter guys since he was responsible in the past for setting up blocking assignments. Unfortunately, smarts can only go so far at pretty much the most physical position of a football team.

Let me ask you this - besides the obvious "why are you up so early" - do you think we would benefit to upgrade this coming offseason by drafting say, Alex Mack?

Whenever I see the pressure up the middle on our line, it seems to be between the guard and the C, I can't quite say it's all on Rabach.

That said, I feel like there are times when he is manhandled and pushed aside.

the skins oline is pretty dominant. everyone outside of the skins fanbase knows this. i don't get why their own fans don't think so. there is a reason why campbell gets sacked so much.

Please elaborate...

The line peaked and was awesome in 2006, but IMO it has declined a great deal. We need to make some changes and the C position is one of them.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/casey_rabach_the_link_between.html#more

Look, I like Rabach, I really do. Seems like a solid guy.

But there's no way I buy the fact that he's one of the better C's in the league. I'd put him at middle of the pack.

The thing is, Harbaugh wouldn't have made such a comment if he didn't believe in it. I'm sure he understands the weight behind "one of the best in the league", and probably would have said "a pretty good C" or something.

I may be reading too much into it, he could be buttering up the competition but I'd figure on the NFL level, especially with a vet like Rabach, it aint worth it.

Yeah I've rewatched the last few games and paid special attention to him.. His technique is flawed and it looks like he's playing scared.

Maybe he's one of the smarter guys since he was responsible in the past for setting up blocking assignments. Unfortunately, smarts can only go so far at pretty much the most physical position of a football team.

QFT. The main reason he's considered pretty good is because of the adjustments he makes on the line. I agree, tho, that he's not a very good blocker.

Let me ask you this - besides the obvious "why are you up so early" - do you think we would benefit to upgrade this coming offseason by drafting say, Alex Mack?

Personally, I see bigger needs at RT and the DL. There's a reason that even in 2005, Gibbs liked to max-protect a lot... And it wasn't so he could use his TE's and RB's to help out the C.

Rabach's not bad, he's just not great, especially when he commits penalties at the most inopportune times (two TDs called back on him in Dallas, forced us out of field goal range against San Diego in 2005).

Personally, I see bigger needs at RT and the DL. Rabach's not bad, he's just not great, especially when he commits penalties at the most inopportune times (two TDs called back on him in Dallas, forced us out of field goal range against San Diego in 2005).

I agree with this in general. But would add LT at the moment as well. Now, the solution to LT might be getting Samuels healthy, which he's not. But at the moment, it's a problem.

However, I think they need to get another center. And centers are easy to find in the mid rounds of the draft. The first center off the board generally doesn't come until the late 2nd or early 3rd round. At least get a guy who can compete for the job and see if Rabach beats him out.

First of all, that's what coaches do the week before a game - pump up their opponents in the weekly press call. Do you think he'd say something like, "Rabach is their weak link. We know we can take advantage of him."?

Coaches don't stir things up like that, even if they know it's true.

Mentally, Rabach might be a great center (we can't tell), but we can see the penalties and bad snaps that seem to happen much too often. Generally, it seems centers are hardly ever penalized. That's not true of 61. And his bad snaps at crucial times are killers.

Speaking of bad snaps, has anyone noticed Albright has been shaky lately? A lot of high snaps on field goals (see Suisham's last miss). Watch him.

First of all, that's what coaches do the week before a game - pump up their opponents in the weekly press call. Do you think he'd say something like, "Rabach is their weak link. We know we can take advantage of him."?

Mentally, Rabach might be a great center (we can't tell), but we can see the penalties and bad snaps that seem to happen much too often. Generally, it seems centers are hardly ever penalized. That's not true of 61. And his bad snaps at crucial times are killers.

Well, he was originally from Baltimore, so I figure that there are guys there who are familiar with him. I doubt that they are lying about what they think about him.

Speaking of bad snaps, has anyone noticed Albright has been shaky lately? A lot of high snaps on field goals (see Suisham's last miss). Watch him.

Actually, Zorn said that the snap and hold was good. Suisham screwed up that kick.

First of all, I agree that opposing coaches don't put down the upcoming opposition, but neither do they go out of their way to compliment specific players unless it's warranted. If Rabach wasn't noteworthy in some respect, Harbaugh probably wouldn't say boo about him.

Second, what bad snaps are you talking about? There was that blown shotgun snap in the Rams game, but wasn't that more of an issue of timing? Other than that, I can't remember a bevy of bad snaps from Rabach.

First of all, I agree that opposing coaches don't put down the upcoming opposition, but neither do they go out of their way to compliment specific players unless it's warranted. If Rabach wasn't noteworthy in some respect, Harbaugh probably wouldn't say boo about him.

Second, what bad snaps are you talking about? There was that blown shotgun snap in the Rams game, but wasn't that more of an issue of timing? Other than that, I can't remember a bevy of bad snaps from Rabach.

That was kind of what I was getting at - if Harbaugh didn't think it, he wouldn't have said anything.

Casey Rabach is an above average center in this league. He is not the most physically dominant guy out there, but he's smart, tough, and very good at getting to the second level and blocking on the move.

The problem with this line is Jansen in pass pro. He's incredibly bad at pass pro, and it affects the other players around him. Defenses are targeting Jansen's side for the blitz because he is so slow to set and can't hold his ground even once he does. That requires Thomas to help out Jansen, which in turn leaves Rabach singled up on a DT, which is not a good matchup for virtually any center in the league. It's good scheme by the opposing defenses to take advantage of Jansen's weakness. We can either keep people like Cooley in to help out, which limits our options downfield, slide help Jansen's way which exposes the middle of the line, or just deal with constant QB pressure from the edge if we leave Jansen without help.

Jansen is the root of the problem, he needs to go, yesterday. Don't blame Rabach for being put in bad situation. Blame the guy who got him thrown under the bus like that by failing to hold up his end.

Whenever I see the pressure up the middle on our line, it seems to be between the guard and the C, I can't quite say it's all on Rabach.

That said, I feel like there are times when he is manhandled and pushed aside.

Alex Mack is likely late 1st round material. I think we should invest in a Center in the draft but you can find a starting-quality Center in rounds 3-4 and even later. Ideally, I would like to see us use our 3rd on a Center like Josh McNeil (Tenn) if he leaves for the NFL this year or Jonathan Luigs from Arkansas both whom should be available in the 3rd round with our pick.

Of course that all depends on what we do in FA. Say we give Jordan Gross a payday to be our RT for the next decade.

Do we then use our 1st on Alex Mack pretty much making our OL light years better in pass protection, or would we go for an OLB or DL or even a guard?

Or if we don't make any OL moves in free agency, do we sign the best tackle possible in the 1st and take a Center in the 3rd, waiting to upgrade our defense in 2010?

Alex Mack is likely late 1st round material. I think we should invest in a Center in the draft but you can find a starting-quality Center in rounds 3-4 and even later. Ideally, I would like to see us use our 3rd on a Center like Josh McNeil (Tenn) if he leaves for the NFL this year or Jonathan Luigs from Arkansas both whom should be available in the 3rd round with our pick.

Of course that all depends on what we do in FA. Say we give Jordan Gross a payday to be our RT for the next decade.

Do we then use our 1st on Alex Mack pretty much making our OL light years better in pass protection, or would we go for an OLB or DL or even a guard?

Or if we don't make any OL moves in free agency, do we sign the best tackle possible in the 1st and take a Center in the 3rd, waiting to upgrade our defense in 2010?

I think again, we'll be limited players in FA. We got too many people to sign, re-sign (Hall, Rogers, Monty, Golston, Reed, Campbell?)

It's a lot of money coming out.

Archived