Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Rabach one of the best centers in the NFL"...SINCE WHEN!?

corrupt3d

Now Elfin is riding Rabach's jock. I keep wondering what I'm missing...

"Casey knows what he has to do," offensive line coach Joe Bugel said. "He has to play low, low, low to the ground. You've got to get your pad level down, or you'll be in the quarterback's mustache. It's a challenge, but if your center can't block one-on-one, you've got a lot of problems. Casey's playing at a high level. He's having his best season."

Indeed, the 31-year-old is getting serious Pro Bowl consideration for the first time. Baltimore's Haloti Ngata outweighs the 6-foot-4, 296-pound Rabach by 44 pounds. So did Cleveland's Shaun Rogers in Week 7. Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton, whom Rabach faced in Week 9, had him by 25 pounds.

"The way that you beat guys that outweigh you or outmatch you in terms of talent is by technique," said Jansen, Rabach's closest friend on the Redskins. "Casey has tremendous technique. It's getting leverage on 'em and making 'em run. Then all of a sudden you've got a guy that's 350 pounds leaning on you. That's a lot different than when he's pushing you."

:doh: we lose a few games now suddenly every player stinks.

Rabach has been a very good center since he signed, stabilizing the middle of the line (remember what we had before, Corey Raymer & Lenny Moore!) He is smart and aggressive and crafty.... making blitz adjustments at the line... He is a bit under sized and was mauled by Ratliff of the pokes, but on the flip side he handled Shaun Rogers one on one most of the game against Cleveland.

and most of the penalties he has had called have been ticky tack if not just bad calls period... like ineligible down field, one yard from the LOS :doh:

I admit the OL as a whole has regressed in pass blocking, but Rabach is a fine run blocker, who can get to the 2nd level

Majority of the pressure has been coming from the outside, specifically on the right. The middle of the OL doesn't collapse very often. Rabach isn't going to pancake many guys, but he is smart, recognizes schemes and blitzes, and is great in run blocking. His pass blocking is decent, but it isn't his strongest suit, and I think people who are saying he is just average or worse are focusing in too much on the pass block and not the whole picture.

Or, to put it another way. Rabach is probably 9-10 on the top 10 list of centers in the NFL. If he is average, that ranks him at 16, so those of you who think Rabach is just average would help your argument by naming 15 cnters in the NFL who you think are better than Rabach.

I wouldn't have said this a year ago- but Rabach is our worst all around o-lineman right now. The costly penalties don't bother me as much as the constant physical abuse this guy takes each game.

I like that he recognizes defensive formations and makes adjustments, (like a center should do) but this year he has looked very out-of-shape to me, and has been beat like a dusty pillow for most of the season.

Looks like he's 38- and I'm sure it has to do with his off-field habits... we need to upgrade this off-season if we want any chance at contending in the playoffs.

Archived