Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you were starting college today, what would be your major?

SteveFromYellowstone

What exactly can you do with a history major besides teach?

Anything. Its analytical. I was going to use it to get into business because it provides excellent writing and communication skills as well as problem solving. You have to analyze why people did the things they did and the effects of their decisions.

If it werent for 3 semesters of the foreign language requirement at UMD, I would have been doing that for sure.

Well best pure major would probably be something in math though I don't think I have the skill set to be among the best and those are the ones doing well. History or English for job security because except for the top players in their fields, job security requires a strong ability to switch careers mid-stream and quickly which means you probably want to be a good writer and you don't want to be relying on a 6 figure salary in a maturing field unless you've got the talent and luck to be a player in the field.

BUSINESS, BUSINESS, BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do not need college to learn IT or other skills, but if you have a business background with a knowledge of IT or even a nursing degree etc... you can go very far

I am shocked how often people without a business background try and make decisions that they are not sure of what potential impacts are.

If anyone on this board likes technology, trust me get the business background and then learn IT on the side. At least minor in business if you are a CS major.

Archived