Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you were starting college today, what would be your major?

SteveFromYellowstone

Looking back, what i really SHOULD have done, was stick with the double Econ/Finance major, intern for free as a mutual fund wholesaler during summers, and gone to work for one of the big fund familys like MorningStar, Vanguard, or Fidelity. My buddy does that and makes half a million a year to play golf and drink. :mad:

criminal psychology. pretty stable line of work. plus the mind fascinates me. and i always look at things differently than most people and take in and process everything. plus i always look for ways to circumvent the system and all that. so i figure if i can think like a criminal, but not actually be one...why not.

law, because i love to argue and debate anything and usually never give up.

I wanted to be a lawyer when I was a kid for the same reasons. But when I found out that no one trusted lawyers I didn't really like the idea as much.

If I were to start college today, I would probably go into culinary arts. Because I love cooking, and being creative with food.

I would probably do Petroleum Engineering if I were to go back and do it over again. Since I grew up around DC and not Texas, I really didnt have clue about the oifield. Somehow I ended up in the oilfield straight out of school and I guess now oil and gas runs through my veins... I love my work. Its fun, challenging and also pays great. If anyone out there got an engineering degree of any type then there are many ways to get into the oifield due to shortage of Petroleum Engineers. You just need to put in your "dues" before being rewarded. Oilfield is where you gonna find out if you love it or hate it real quick.

I was a Chemical/Biomed Engineering Double then decided to do the one year add on for the Masters in Chemical Engineering before going out to the real world... Now looking back, I had some really AWESOME courses back in college but of course I never really worked as an engineer back then so I didnt get the full value out of those courses. I didnt know better. There are about 5-7 courses I wish I can go back and retake right now.

Accounting or Med School. No doubt about it. And that's all I'm going to allow my kids to go to university for. No arguments -- they can thank me for it later.

Recession proof.... and well compensated. And interesting careers as well.

on the side note... I am sure its probably same for most of us...

I hope I end up making enough money and build up enough wealth so that my kids wont have to worry about "money" when the grow up. You know like enough money that they can be a history major or art major not worry about how much money they will be making during their career. Now I just need to do somehow spoil the kids without letting them become brats.. lol

Accounting or Med School. No doubt about it. And that's all I'm going to allow my kids to go to university for. No arguments -- they can thank me for it later.

Recession proof.... and well compensated. And interesting careers as well.

a lot of accounting jobs are being outsourced to places like India and China. Lots and lots. Accounting is far from safe :(

Also, big piece on NBC the other night about robotics and surgery. But I guess you'd still need someone to diagnose. So medicine would still be good. But I think in 20 years surgeons will probably no longer exist.

Imo, there aren't any "safe" majors anymore in the global economy. I suggest getting into the fetal position and hoping for the best.

Archived