Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Milk (based on the Life of the first openly Gay politician in America, Harvey Milk)

footballhenry

I saw a trailer of this film for the first time today and was blown away by it. I cannot wait to see this and wanted to share. Since seeing the trailer I have been researching Harvey Milk a little bit and am saddened and empowered by his true life story.

Here's the official website with the trailer under videos:

www.milkthemovie.com

direct link to trailer-> http://www.filminfocus.com/focusfeatures/film/milk/?flashsection=videos

Here is an inspiring video put together using excerpts of a speech Milk gave:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1898694/harvey_milk_speech/

I for one will definitely be seeing this as soon as it comes out.

Saw the previews in the last couple movies I went to and it looked interesting. Certainly the story is pivotal and deep in impact and meaning for many people. Penn looks like he lost a lot of weight for the role. It has the potential to be powerful film from what I saw.

I hate that Gay rights is even an issue.

People are people. I could care less what religion, sex, color, or preferences you have.

There is something about every person you will meet in life that is a little off...It's up to you as an individual to either accept them for who they are or shun them.

I am willing to accept most people.

The movie is getting really good reviews so far. They say that Sean Penn's acting is freakishly good. Guy may be a PITA, but he can act.

Needless to say, this movie is a big deal in San Francisco. They filmed a lot of the outdoor scenes right down the block from my house. My kids enjoyed watching them revert bits of Castro Street back into the 1970s for filming.

Meh. I can't see this film being interesting to anyone other than people who are unusually interested in gay rights. Then again, maybe i'm in the minority. Any movie that makes it seem like someone is being "heroic" just for being gay really, really irritates me. its so cliche.' Sean Penn is a very good actor, but this looks like a boring, self-indulgent biopic to me - a movie that will get far too much credit simply because it promotes/glorifies a cause that is very trendy at the time. Roger Ebert wrote an article about that type of movie a while back. I'll read his review of the film when its released and then decide if its worth my time.

Meh. I can't see this film being interesting to anyone other than people who are unusually interested in gay rights. Then again, maybe i'm in the minority. Any movie that makes it seem like someone is being "heroic" just for being gay really, really irritates me. its so cliche.' Sean Penn is a very good actor, but this looks like a boring, self-indulgent biopic to me - a movie that will get far too much credit simply because it promotes/glorifies a cause that is very trendy at the time. Roger Ebert wrote an article about that type of movie a while back. I'll read his review of the film when its released and then decide if its worth my time.

Ebert gives it 4 stars.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081124/REVIEWS/811240297

Sean Penn plays a gay man and is trying to teach that tolerance and non violence should be the way, right?

maybe he should tell the Sean Penn from Katrina that was riding in a boat thru the streets of NO with a shotgun in his hand.

I love it when actors try to act all high and mighty just because they play a role in a movie. he will always be Spicolli/I am Sam until he gets off his high horse.

'Self-indulgent' biopic? Maybe you should research the life and career of Harvey Milk before jumping to conclusions. There are millions of people that have been waiting for this film for years because of the effect that man had in San Francisco and around the nation at the time. His story has never been told on the big screen and I for one think it's about damn time.

Also, it doesn't make him look 'heroic' for simply 'being' gay; it is showing his story of 'how' he fought for gay rights and made such a significant impact in society.

BTW, earlier, I referenced a Newsweek article I'd read, recently. (That mentioned both Milk, the person, and the film, although the actual article is about Prop 8.)

Link.

Proposition 8 has changed my life. Just one month ago, when it looked like the gay marriage ban was winning support here in my home state, I turned to my partner of seven years and told him we'd better say "I do" before California voters told us "you can't." Immediately, Jeff Bechtloff and I jumped into full "Bridezilla" mode. We ordered a three-tiered mocha-chip wedding cake from the best bakery in Los Angeles (which now carries same-sex cake toppers). We pulled together a soundtrack of Frank Sinatra songs to play in lieu of "Here Comes the Bride." We asked NEWSWEEK's film critic David Ansen and his friend Mary Corey to do a reading from our favorite romantic film, "Breakfast at Tiffany's." We went flower shopping with my high-school girlfriend, who made the table arrangements and corsages for us.

Finally, on Oct. 25, Jeff's mother walked him down the aisle, followed by my 86-year-old father and 93-year-old mother, who accompanied me as I bit my lip and fought back unexpected tears. Standing before the judge, I looked out at the audience of 100 familiar faces and saw my tears of joy returned in kind. With such an outpouring of support—and Barack Obama's promises of hope and inclusion gaining traction—I couldn't imagine that voters here on the liberal Left Coast would deem our wedding a threat to "traditional" marriage. But we were living in a bubble. We'd wrongly assumed that because most Americans no longer feel entitled to call us "faggot" to our faces, we had won acceptance.

But it's becoming clear to me that the main failing may have been our own. Most gay people I know seem to have forgotten—or in many cases never learned—the lessons of our collective history. For what transpired in California is only the latest skirmish in a three-decade battle between the religious right and the gay community in what has come to be known, euphemistically, as the culture wars. Had Prop 8 opponents taken their playbook from the gay-rights battles of the 1970s, I might not be in my current predicament. But most gay people my age and younger have little memory of those battles, in large part because many of the pioneers who fought them succumbed to a virus called HIV before they could teach us. And because gay rights have advanced so far since then—we are protected by nondiscrimination laws, our employers give us domestic-partner benefits, and several states recognize our unions—we probably took for granted that gay marriage was an inevitability.

It seemed like a great read, to me. I learned several things I didn't know. And it may indicate what the possible political reaction to this may be.

Archived