Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Trailer for 'The Wrestler' (Mickey Rourke's best performance of his career?)

footballhenry

I just watched this trailer and I have to admit I am psyched for this film. I love Darren Aronofsky's work (The Fountain, Requiem for a Dream, Pi) and have been a Mickey Rourke fan since witnessing his gritty performance in Sin City. So far the critics are saying that Mickey deserves an oscar nomination for this one. The Wrestler comes out mid-January 2009.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thewrestler/

Pi is one of my favorite movies. I remember showing it to my parents a while back. They thought I was nuts.

Requiem is the one movie they should be required to show you in health class in high school if they really want to teach you about the dangers of drugs.

I never saw The Fountain, The Wrestler looks good. I read the E! Weekly article on Rourke a few weeks ago. The guy definitely has some parallels with the character he's playing. He was begging his friends for money and trying to get jobs stocking shelves before he started to become relevant again.

• 2 months later...

So who's seen this yet?

I saw it tonight at a local indie theater.

Badass film. Rourke is incredible, Tomei is smoking hot and naked pretty much the entire time she's on screen, and they really give an amazing look at the behind scenes aspects of pro wrestling, while including match footage which actually doesn't make wrestling come across as silly at all, but a simple form of entertainment that takes a serious toll on the performers' bodies.

Easily one of the best movies I've seen all year. The ending is great too, complete with a pretty good new Bruce Springsteen song.

While I think that Rourke's performance was solid, I think Tomei's was even better. Of course, the fact that she was nekkid for half the film may have influenced this opinion a bit. Damn, that girl's in good shape...and worth the price of admission. I loved some of the 80's metal tunes they pulled out. Balls to the Wall by Accept? Ha-ha.

I need to see this film. I had no idea Darren Aronofsky directed it. That alone would shoot it up the list in my book. And I really liked Rourke in Body Heat, Sin City and Domino...he can be a DAMN good actor when the script and director are right.

I forgot about Domino. He was good in that.

Archived