Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Trailer for 'The Wrestler' (Mickey Rourke's best performance of his career?)

footballhenry

Can someone please explain how this song won Best Original Song at the Golden Globes, then didn't even nominated in that category for the Oscars, but two songs from Slumdog Millionaire did?

Just ridiculous.

Yeah it's very odd, very strange oversight. That is a great Springsteen song and should be nominated.

I felt the opposite. I left the theater feeling pretty charged up.

Without spoiling the movie, could you explain why?

I appreciated the "I will live on my own terms" sentiment.

But...gosh...the terms he chose are pretty bleak.

I mean, it is a tremendous performance and characters like that certainly exist - particularly in the wrestling biz. But at every fork in the road in his life, he chose a path of self-destruction simply because only one thing fulfilled him.

I need to see this film. I had no idea Darren Aronofsky directed it. That alone would shoot it up the list in my book. And I really liked Rourke in Body Heat, Sin City and Domino...he can be a DAMN good actor when the script and director are right.

This was probably Aronofsky's best film - probably because he simply let the story play out. There weren't his usual tricks and gimmicks (which I like but can overwhelm his films).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was surprised that there wasn't a thread about this movie. I finally got around to watching it.

This movie was pretty damn good. Great performance by Mickey Rourke. His portrayal of a washed up wrestler was great. You really feel for him and his character in the movie. One of the better movies I've probably seen this year.

Archived