Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Just bought my second six pack of 

PCBDerechoCommoon3375x475B1.png

This beer has an interesting story behind it.  DC area folks should remember the powerful straight-line storm, called a Derecho, that swept through the area in June 2012 and left 1 million DMV residents without power for up to a week or more, including Port City Brewery in Alexandria.

They had a full tank of lager for which they were unable to control the cooler fermentation temperature needed for a lager,  so the tank fermented at a higher temperature than intended.  They bought a generator and nurtured the beer to maturity at the higher temperature, changing it from a lager to a California Common beer.  They tried it and they liked it.  So every June since,  in commemoration of that happy accident, they brew and release Derecho Common.

It's got a lovely pale golden-orange color. a nice malt/hop balance, and a modest 4.8% ABV.   It's a really nice summer-time drink.

• Like 2

Do you guys get a steady supply of Ballast Point brewery out there on the east coast?

Their grapefruit sculpin is amazing, as is their grunion ipa.

Victory at Sea is a vanilla coffee stout that is fantastic and they just recently released a lighter summer version of it called Calm before the Storm that is supposed to be hitting stores up here in NoCal any day now.

Ballast Point is based out of San Diego.

Do you guys get a steady supply of Ballast Point brewery out there on the east coast?

Their grapefruit sculpin is amazing, as is their grunion ipa.

Victory at Sea is a vanilla coffee stout that is fantastic and they just recently released a lighter summer version of it called Calm before the Storm that is supposed to be hitting stores up here in NoCal any day now.

Ballast Point is based out of San Diego.

Yea I see it, mainly in bottles or cans in the dc metro area... the few bars that do nothing but craft beer have it on tap

They usually have Ballast Point at Frisco's.  If you haven't been, this is probably the best beer selection in MD, probably competes with anyone in the DMV.

2 locations in MD.

http://www.friscotaphouse.com/

My old job I worked in crofton, and this place was never there then, stopped working that job in jan of 2014, this place would of been my biggest account lol oh well im in a better place now anyway! Cool looking place, looks like blackfinn or the yard house 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if I can find Pliny the elder or Heady Topper anywhere in the Northern VA area, more specifically Fairfax? I've been hearing so many good things and am anxious to try them.

According to their website, the closest distributor to NOVA is Philly, so you have to drive 2 hours to get it for Pliny

http://russianriverbrewing.com/where-to-get-our-beers/

For Heady Topper seems like its only available near where they brew it

got to try a number of new ones in NC, the duck-rabbit ones and not your fathers root beer were good, as was the  foothills peoples porter

had a local dark ale and a couple others that was pretty good but the names escape me

We have picked up not your fathers root beer, but as of now, its not available in kegs, only cases, and the first order was limited to 12 cases to each account until we get our next HUGE order in. We distribute in northern va and dc, down to fredericksburg and over to warsaw

We have picked up not your fathers root beer, but as of now, its not available in kegs, only cases, and the first order was limited to 12 cases to each account until we get our next HUGE order in. We distribute in northern va and dc, down to fredericksburg and over to warsaw

Bought a six pack at a Giant.  It was decent, but just seemed wrong that a wholesome, innocent root beer was sullied with alcohol.  It seemed sinful to sip.  It is an okay root beer with a kick.

Bud Dry for the 2 point conversion.

lol. was just talking about ol' bud dry today

Have a buddy that lives in Frederick and is super close to Frisco's. Awesome place to go.

right next to flying dog. 

good place to get lunch, friscos. 

Edited by grego

Lineup of beer at Lost Dog Cafe in Alexandria VA, one of my accounts. They do tap take overs on their 6 tap kegerator (not pictured) and right now its 3 Stars Brewing out of DC, for another week at least I believe... all great beers!

LostDog%208315_zpswisexfpd.jpg?t=1438737

Edited by DButz65
  • Like 1

I can't tell ya how much I enjoy this place opening near me

http://republichousetx.com/

http://republichousetx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/RH_11.jpg

like a kid in a candy store

And as a draft technician Im glad I dont have any accounts with stacked faucets/walls like that, such a pain in the ass LOL

I have one account where the towers hang from the ceiling and they are over my head basically, I need a freaking step ladder to remove the faucets, guess how many times i've removed those to clean them? heh