Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Torrence Shocked By Release

TK

There were other choices. I would take Torrence over Tryon anytime.

Torrence is a bum. I'd much rather have a rookie with more potential sitting in the wings as the #5 CB then Leigh Torrence. Good call cutting him. Hall>Torrence any day of the week. But in the end it doesnt even matter because the 5th corner won't even be playing much

Considering Hall's history and being released from not one but two teams, I can say I wasn't all that thrilled about the Skins talking to Hall much less signing him. That said releasing Torrence isn't exactly going to keep me awake at night. Looking at the business side of this, it can make sense. Torrence seemed like a good enough guy and played some decent special teams, but whatever upside he may have had,(or may have), has probably been seen. Hall, at least has a history of being a very good player in this league. He's also younger than Torrence so there is the possibility the man can still be rescued as a player and get his career back on track. If not, the Redskins at least get a player that imho, is better than who they released right now. Hell I'd be willing to bet that there are players on the Redskins who are going :whew: because watching Torrence out there could be scary.

Considering Hall's history and being released from not one but two teams, I can say I wasn't all that thrilled about the Skins talking to Hall much less signing him. That said releasing Torrence isn't exactly going to keep me awake at night. Looking at the business side of this, it can make sense. Torrence seemed like a good enough guy and played some decent special teams, but whatever upside he may have had,(or may have), has probably been seen. Hall, at least has a history of being a very good player in this league. He's also younger than Torrence so there is the possibility the man can still be rescued as a player and get his career back on track. If not, the Redskins at least get a player that imho, is better than who they released right now. Hell I'd be willing to bet that there are players on the Redskins who are going :whew: because watching Torrence out there could be scary.
/thread. :applause:

My point was about depth if Hall doesn't work out-which is a very real risk. If that happens and one of our top three CBs gets hurt (also likely given Smoot/Springs' injury history) all of a sudden Tryon is the #3 CB and yes, we're screwed. His coverage skills sucked against preseason scrubs. And while he may have improved coverage wise, I guarantee his height and vertical have not.

You forget that Richardson is on the practice squad. He looked pretty decent in preseason and some wanted him on the roster instead of Torrence or Tryon.

I don't think they release Torrence if they didn't feel comfortable with what they had with the rest of the guys on the roster and the PS. Then again, I don't think Hall is all that much of a risk. The chance he will be at least decent in a nickel role is pretty high.

Jason

I can't believe that some people are arguing about the release of Leigh friggin' Torrence aka Ade Jimoh Vol. II. Only Jimoh was a much better special teams player.

Hall comes with some question marks, but he also comes with some serious credentials. This is possibly a low risk/high reward move for the team because if (and it's NOT a big if) Hall can regain his Pro Bowl form we have aruably the deepest/best secondary.

We can't depend on Springs being healthy anymore and if Smoot or Rogers were to get hurt do you want Hall or Torrence in there? I think that it's a simple answer.

Now, if Hall is serious about wanting to stay here because it is his home, he will take advantage of the situation and toe the company line. I honestly believe that the situation in Oakland has led to sub par performances by many players due to the environment alone.

This is essentially a seven plus game audition to prove his worth and for what the Redskins are paying him it's a risk worth taking.

Horrible move for releasing a 5th string CB? I dont think so, dude did nothing on the field but give up a 50 yd pass in a super critical situation among other bonehead moves he made last season. Farewell Torrence:ciao:

I guess Rogers should be gone, too. He dropped a possible game sealing interception that hit him in the hands and fell asleep on the 2 yard line, allowing an easy TD. All in one game.

Kelly to IR or send Tryon to waivers.

If you think the 'Skins would release a decent player, rather than a useless rookie who looks lost on the field, so that he would be able to play somewhere else, you're dreaming.

I think Vinny doesn't want to admit that Tryon is looking very bust-like.

Can someone please give me a decent reason as to why Torrence got cut, but Tryon got to stay?

I'd really like to know.

Tyron is a rookie just learnig the NFL game, Torrence has been signed and released more times then a normal human being uses the restroom in a day.

Possible up and comer vs a never will be

I guess Rogers should be gone, too. He dropped a possible game sealing interception that hit him in the hands and fell asleep on the 2 yard line, allowing an easy TD. All in one game.

Kelly to IR or send Tryon to waivers.

If you think the 'Skins would release a decent player, rather than a useless rookie who looks lost on the field, so that he would be able to play somewhere else, you're dreaming.

I think Vinny doesn't want to admit that Tryon is looking very bust-like.

I would have cut Tryon after Preseason, he was terrible. Why he is STILL here I dont understand. Should have cut him to make room for Hall, not that I'm really happy Hall is here.

The SKINS got rid of Torrence cause, they didn't want to cut a draft pick, cause then it looks as if they failed in the draft. This was the right move. It means that Tryon has more of an upside the Torrance. Torrance also cost us the Rams game by getting beat.

Draft picks get cut every year, we just cut Brook who was a draft pick. and if you cut a guy that makes one bad play, EVERYONE on this team would be cut. We lost to the Rams because we couldnt score points on a crappy defense. Campbell should be cut for throwing a INT, Portis for a fumble, Rodgers for ever missed int, ect. Really poor reasoning there.

As for Tryon, he's a 4th rounder that cant even get on the field. He's small and not much of acover guy that cant tackle. if we REALLY wanted to keep him, we could have cut him and put him on the PS. Trust me, NO ONE was gonna pick him up.

Personally, I would have released Tryon and tried to stick him on the PS. I'm not a Torrance fan but thought he had potential at depth. Maybe Zorn sees Kelly as nearly healed and doesn't want to IR him, and maybe Betts return is still a little tentative to be releasing SA. In any case, the coaches see a lot more of these guys every day and should have a much better picture of what's best for the team.

What bothers me is not knowing how much say Vinny has in this, and whether he might be trying to salvage his abysmal draft like he did with Brooks. I'm good with this decision if it was made by Zorn & Blache. If it was Vinny's call, not so much.

man ****, I liked Leigh. What also sucks is we hung with his family in Canton and they are really nice people as well.

Good luck Leigh and I hope you land on a team that will develop you properly.

My sentiments, exactly. Leigh Torrence, Sr. is cool as hell, and I wish that we could've found a way to keep Jr. on the squad. Oh well, it's a part of the business I suppose. Best of luck to you Leigh! :cheers:

Just dont go to the Giants :paranoid:

My sentiments, exactly. Leigh Torrence, Sr. is cool as hell, and I wish that we could've found a way to keep Jr. on the squad. Oh well, it's a part of the business I suppose. Best of luck to you Leigh! :cheers:

Just dont go to the Giants :paranoid:

I'm sure they're wonderful people. It's always tough when you lose a good person.

But I hope he DOES go to the Giants. Sorry, he wasn't very good, and if he plays for the Giants, that's good for the 'Skins.

Snyder & Co. must really think there's some tremendous upside to Tryon, because they just let go next seasons Nickel Back. I doubt that Hall will be resigned, and Springs will be getting older, so this is a risky move in my mind.

Why would you doubt Hall will be resigned? Springs is as good as gone so we'll have his salary slot to resign Hall if he fits in. Leigh Torrence is an okay 4th CB but that's it. I don't see practice every day so I'm not sure what they see in Justin Tryon over Torrence but it's not unthinkable to say that Tryon has a higher upside. It's also not unthinkable to say that Hall has a ton more talent than Torrence. I'll admit that the lockerroom threat has me a little worried but that is why you field a roster full of strong leaders. Strong leadership in a lockerroom will keep the guys focused and keep their minds on the big picture. These guys have lost friends and good guys many times over their years in the NFL

Archived