Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Torrence Shocked By Release

TK

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/11/hall_signed_leigh_torrence_sho.html

Torrence Shocked By Release

The Washington Redskins released cornerback Leigh Torrence to make room for corner DeAngelo Hall, a move that surprised many players. Hall's signing was looming, after he agreed to terms with the Redskins on Friday, but rather than release a little-used player or place injured receiver Malcolm Kelly on injured reserve, the team let go a promising young corner who had served as a nickel back and special teams standout.

"I'm about to cry," one Redskin said when informed that Torrence was on waivers. "Why would they let Leigh go? That dude did a good job for us and was only getting better. That doesn't make sense."

Philadelphia and Baltimore have been among the teams looking at corners recently, and with little talent in the free agent market there now, one NFL executive suggested those teams, New England, and maybe the New York Giants as teams that might claim Torrence.

The Redskins opted to keep rookie corner Justin Tryon, a fourth-round pick who has almost never seen the field on defense this season and who could have been placed on the practice squad had he cleared waivers. Other draft picks who played sparingly, like end Rob Jackson, were awaiting this move with a bit of uncertainty as well, and Torrence was stunned when his agent received a phone call this afternoon informing him he was on waivers.

The Redskins announced the signing of Hall in a press release today, but included no statements from Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato about the roster moves.

"Leigh was totally surprised," said Tony Paige, Torrence's agent. "He's an ascending young corner, a smart kid, great in the community, outstanding on special teams, does all the right things. The other players like him, he performs well in coverage, he's outstanding on special teams. I don't think it will be long before we hear from some teams. I know there will be interest in Leigh."

Torrence, 26, who was in his second season with the Redskins, would clear waivers Monday if not claimed. Torrence, who fills keys roles on special teams, has been playing nickel (inside) corner in five-defensive back packages while corner Shawn Springs has been injured, and has impressed teammates with his work. He and Springs were the only corners who played that inside technique regularly; Hall has been an outside corner during his career, which could leave the team short should Springs suffer another injury.

Torrence (5-11, 179 pounds), was signed as a free agent by Washington in 2006 after spending 2005 with Atlanta. The Stanford grad played regularly last season with corner Carlos Rogers injured, and although he was not seasoned enough for a prominent role, Torrence was making plays in the nickel package and was considered better on many matchups in the slot than other depth corners.

The Redskins opted to retain all 10 of their draft picks to open the season, even though most of them had not shined, and were criticized by some players, publicly and privately. Keeping a rookie like Tryon over Torrence now shocked some veterans, though perhaps he and other members of the class will distinguish themselves over time.

Hall, 24, has 20 career interceptions and will join the team for practice Monday after the bye this weekend. The Virginia native and Virginia Tech product was released by Oakland this week and has clashed with teammates and coaches in the past. He chose the Redskins over other suitors based on the team's location near him home, their record, and the type of defense they play, signing a one-year deal worth approximately $500,000 for the remainder of the season.

I was wondering why there wasn't a thread about this.

I feel bad for Leigh, I do for any guys who seem like good characters, and play hard for the Skins. But he was at the bottom of the line, and he really hasn't done anything warranting keeping him. I only hope this doesnt hurt the team chemistry.

I wonder if they are thinking that Malcolm may actually do something this year....

P.S..... those against the Hall pickup, I am willing that you would NOT have wanted to see him on the Giants or Cowboys...

Can someone please give me a decent reason as to why Torrence got cut, but Tryon got to stay?

I'd really like to know.

My reasoning is that Tryon is a Rookie. Rookie DB's are known to take two to three years to develop. Torrence is at best a career #3 or 4 DB. The coaches believe Tryon has the ability to improve and ultimately be a higher end DB than Torrence. We now have 4 quality healthy CB's on the roster, allowing Tryon to develop and mature into his talent as time dictates. They are thinking about both the long and short term health of the team.

Shocked? You have not made a postiive play all year. Who else would get released? Springs? Smoot?

You might want to look at our depth chart for CB. There's a guy behind him named Tyron, who got destroyed in the preseason and barely sees the field. Does this mean the Redskins think Tyron is better than Torrence? Why couldn't just move Tyron to the practice squad if they really think he has potential or something. This move is absolutely shocking because Torrence has played in all the games this year while Tyron has seen miminal action.

There were a lot of directions the team could have gone. I'm very surprised Torrence is gone. I thought they could have shipped Tryon out but there is something they see in him. I don't think Jackson (DE) would have cleared waivers and I think they want to keep Kelly around to see if he can help during the playoff push. Clearly he was the most expendable per management. I'm not saying it was right though. I liked him as a player. A little small, but very quick.

Happy trails Leigh Torrance....you'll be back in business soon.

Sucks for Leigh, but once again JLC leaps all over a player we release, acting as if they are the best thing since sliced bread and the Skins are just dumb and evil for letting him go. This piece is so slanted I'm having to keep my computer from sliding off my desk. **** JLC and his anonymous "sources."

You might want to look at our depth chart for CB. There's a guy behind him named Tyron, who got destroyed in the preseason and barely sees the field. Does this mean the Redskins think Tyron is better than Torrence? Why couldn't just move Tyron to the practice squad if they really think he has potential or something. This move is absolutely shocking because Torrence has played in all the games this year while Tyron has seen miminal action.

I forgot about Tyron. I thought he was on the pratice squad. He stunk all pre season. I have not noticed him in any game.

Can someone please give me a decent reason as to why Torrence got cut, but Tryon got to stay?

I'd really like to know.

Because a guy like Torrence is probably more likely to still be around when they need him again than a guy like Tryon, who was a 4th round draft pick.

I was wondering why there wasn't a thread about this.

There was. The mods, for some reason, merged it into the Hall thread.

Jason

This sounds like it might be bad for chemistry, IMO should have let Tryon go instead

It is the Redskins' FO responsibility (along with the coaches) to make this team a winner.

If they feel this is an upgrade, then it is their job to make it happen.

This piece is slanted. Vague references about "surprised players". Torence was just waived. How many players could JLC have possibly talked to?

A lot of them aren't even in D.C. and won't be until early in the week.

The only thing missing in the piece is JLC saying he saw Cerrato going into Redskin Park twirling his mustache and cackling ominously. :)

JLC is pure filth with an agenda.

Archived