Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Torrence Shocked By Release

TK

Rams game, burned in the 4th qtr, allowing them to get into field goal range and win the game. The guy can't cover ****.

well neither can hall. he got targeted 68 times and got beat 48 times!! that must the worst percenatage ever seen!!

well neither can hall. he got targeted 68 times and got beat 48 times!! that must the worst percenatage ever seen!!

Hall's skill set was a horrible match for Oakland's weird scheme. Its like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Im sure that if Hall lets his man by him and the safety doesn't come over to help over the top that you would credit that as Hall being beat. But you or no other stat analysist knows who has what responsibility and who didn't cover who.

I think we all know Torrence was a liability in coverage however here are some questions I don't know the answer to:

1. Was Torrence capable of getting better? At least one teammate thinks he was improving.

2. Do you keep Tryon instead because you're pretty certain he'll be better than Torrence in the long run?

3. Does the team consider Tryon as good a special team as Torrence or will Hall fill that role?

4. Why release a guy at mid-season who KNOWS the defense and has been a big contributor when you know FULL WELL he'll give up any and all information about it to his new team?

I'm not saying it was the wrong move but on the surface it seems there were better solutions than to release Torrence.

This decision is a marked departure from what Joe Gibbs would have done. He would have kept Torrence because of his experience and contributions on special teams and put Tryon or Mike Green on waivers.

But the present management looks ahead at future performance as being a significant part of the personnel equation.

The ability to one day get on the field and have the potential to be a contributor on the regular defense is going to trumph a depth player's role on special teams unless that player is a unit co-captain like Khary Campbell or Rock Cartwright.

Whether this is the right way to craft a roster will have to play out over time.

The Redskins are not the only team in the NFL that values the draft picks and works to develop them at the cost of some mid-tier vets that have a role but a more limited one.

I agree that Tryon has not proven as of yet he is an NFL player. But Blache and Zorn see enough of him in practice to weigh in on the decision.

Given how outspoken Blache is I doubt this decision was made without his input.

With Springs, Rogers, Smoot and Hall on the roster in 2008 at CB Torrence's role was set to decrease by 50% or more over the coming weeks.

you make a fair point. I also have to accept you crediblity on the situation as i am a lowly 19 year old college student with no real experience or knowledge of the business world. Though i do understand the principle that you're arguing. In the end football is a business, and a person that's just not cutting it has to go. I guess with my relative ignorance on the matter, i view the situation, sorry for sounding cheesy, with my heart. i always liked Torrence; he's one of those guys that i felt really enjoyed being a redskin, whether or not his contributions were deciding the outcomes of games. I also feel the players hold this viewpoint as well, though assuredly they understand that this is just the nature of the game... anyway, he's gone, and Deangelo Hall is here. Time to move on.. i also find it ironic that your extremeskins name is "voice of reason", and really that's what your post was, a voice of reason.. haha, well said

I'd beg to differ about him being a voice of reason. He still hasn't explained where our depth comes from if Hall reprises his nutjob role and we have to cut him. If Torrence is picked up, which is likely IMHO, we're screwed with Tryon. Also, does Hall play teams other than returning punts?

I'm cool with the Hall signing but we shouldn't have burned our bridges as it were.

we're screwed with Tryon

And you're basing this on, what, preseason games?

Torrence had already cost us one game. I don't believe that Tryon could do much worse. He has more speed, greater upside, and hasn't already been proven to be mediocre. Besides, I'm not about to keep myself up at night worrying about the quality of our #5 CB.

I think the article posted here on the board by the ESPN scout breaking down why Hall was not successful playing the Oakland style of defense answers a few of the dire predictions I see posted on this thread. Hall is not a player in decline.

In regards to Torrence, The Insider's source admitted that even on his team Torrence would be the #52 or #53 player. So, what we are talking about is a bubble veteran, a mid-age NFL player (26) who has been around long enough for the staff to assess what his upside is and whether he will reach it.

In this case, I think the Redskins assessed Torrence strictly on the basis of what he was capable of contributing at CORNERBACK and not on special teams.

I'd beg to differ about him being a voice of reason. He still hasn't explained where our depth comes from if Hall reprises his nutjob role and we have to cut him. If Torrence is picked up, which is likely IMHO, we're screwed with Tryon. Also, does Hall play teams other than returning punts?

I'm cool with the Hall signing but we shouldn't have burned our bridges as it were.

I see your point, Yusuf, and I of course have no way of knowing this, but I would say it's a calculated risk the coaching staff is taking here. They are banking on DH being influenced by solid vets in the locker room and by good coaching on the field. No matter what kind of antics he may pull, it looks like he's a lock to finish out this season in B&G at least.

If he's not going to work out in the long run that can be addressed this coming off-season. Just a thought.

And you're basing this on, what, preseason games?

Torrence had already cost us one game. I don't believe that Tryon could do much worse. He has more speed, greater upside, and hasn't already been proven to be mediocre. Besides, I'm not about to keep myself up at night worrying about the quality of our #5 CB.

My point was about depth if Hall doesn't work out-which is a very real risk. If that happens and one of our top three CBs gets hurt (also likely given Smoot/Springs' injury history) all of a sudden Tryon is the #3 CB and yes, we're screwed. His coverage skills sucked against preseason scrubs. And while he may have improved coverage wise, I guarantee his height and vertical have not.

I agree with the people here that say Tryon has a much bigger upside.

Its funny how people were complaining about Carlos Rogers when he regularly got burned in his rookie year and why the Skins wasted a pick for him. Now just cuz he's starting to pick it up, the Redskin mistake was all of a sudden forgotten.

Tryon will learn the system. You can teach technique. You can't teach size and speed.

:whoknows: I assumed that all ES members were aware of Jerruh's recent Snyderisms and made an assume out of myself.

Meh, no big deal. It was really more a case of me not getting many chances to use one of my favorite smileys and taking advantage of the opportunity. I was just giving you "da bizness". :)

My reasoning is that Tryon is a Rookie. Rookie DB's are known to take two to three years to develop. Torrence is at best a career #3 or 4 DB. The coaches believe Tryon has the ability to improve and ultimately be a higher end DB than Torrence. We now have 4 quality healthy CB's on the roster, allowing Tryon to develop and mature into his talent as time dictates. They are thinking about both the long and short term health of the team.

Bingo!

:cheers:

If the Redskins chances of building on their success so far in 2008 are affected that much by the release of what would now be the team's FIFTH cornerback, then I think the Redskins are in much more serious trouble than I had anticipated :)

Let's keep some perspective here.

The Redskins didn't just cut Ladell Betts to make room for Shaun Alexander.

Nope, I'd have wondered why you would say that in this thread. :silly:

Besides, there's a big difference between hating on a Cowboy player and hating on one of our own. Just to end this here, I think if you had just said that you would have preferred Tryon be cut it would be fine. There was no need to be so insulting towards one of our own players.

Point well taken.

:cheers:

My point was about depth if Hall doesn't work out-which is a very real risk. If that happens and one of our top three CBs gets hurt (also likely given Smoot/Springs' injury history) all of a sudden Tryon is the #3 CB and yes, we're screwed. His coverage skills sucked against preseason scrubs. And while he may have improved coverage wise, I guarantee his height and vertical have not.

Your concerns about depth are entirely valid. Certainly, Torrence would be more dependable than Tryon at this juncture (or, we assume, based on the very little we've seen of the rookie). I just can't picture Hall and Springs ever being useless to us simultaneously between now and the end of the season. Or maybe I just don't want to.

Just wondering if you that complain about this move think Vinny did without consulting Greg Blache? The answer is he did not.

Next question, do you think Greg Blache knows what he is doing? The answer is yes, he does.

Enough said.

Well Blanche's job just got harder with D.Hall coming to town. The man waited in the tunnel of the visiting atlanta falcon's locker room to fight one of his former teamates last week when oakland played atlanta!! The guy gets beat in games and blames his teammates!!! So if Blanch wants him, I'll be the first to congradulate Cerrato and Blanche if Hall is humbled and plays well. But I'll also be the first to critisize Blanche and Cerrato if Hall conitues to play as he has the last few years (POOR!). I've seen the man play in person down here in Atlanta and it leaves me very critical of this move.

Archived