Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Torrence Shocked By Release

TK

I also liked Torrence. But I think the Rams game drew hsi pink slip.

Mike Furrey worked him BAD in the Detroit game too. Struggled heavily in a couple other games I have dvr'ed. This article vastly overestimates his importance from an x's and o's standpoint. As for team chemistry, obviously I am in no position to speak intelligently.

The JLC haters are hilarious. He has a valid point here. Why release a guy who contributes on defense and special teams when you can easily release someone who doesn't contribute at all (Jackson, Tryon..), is almost certain to clear waivers, and can be signed to the practice squad? It just doesn't make sense. Why lose a promising young player when you don't have to lose anybody?

What if Hall doesn't resign after the season? What if Tryon doesn't pan out? I think we will regret this decision.

repost-

So I wonder what the rest of the team thinks when they see a guy who has busted his ass with marginal God-given talent get cut mid-season for no other reason than there was a prima-donna ex-pro bowler whose best days are behind him become available because he under-performed somewhere else?

I think if I were on the team, I'd wonder what signals the team was making about hard work, determination, hi-character, etc., and where that all fit on the list of priorities.

Because if its strictly about what you've done in the past or how big your name is, I might be tempted not to work as hard. After all, the hard worker guy gets cut- had work doesn't matter.

Of course, I'm assuming LT was that guy, and was well-liked and respected in the locker room

Am I missing something here? Hall will just turn 25 in a couple of weeks. Best days are behind him?

If this team decides to work less hard because Torrence was cut they should all hang it up now. NFL rosters are full of marginal guys who work hard every minute. They're cut and resigned regularly. The Redskins didn't kill him, they cut him. If he goes to another team he'll be one of those guys for his new team. If he doesn't, he'll be resigned by the Redskins when they need him.

If players look at this move and play less hard because of it, they don't belong in the NFL.

Am I missing something here? Hall will just turn 25 in a couple of weeks. Best days are behind him?

If this team decides to work less hard because Torrence was cut they should all hang it up now. NFL rosters are full of marginal guys who work hard every minute. They're cut and resigned regularly. The Redskins didn't kill him, they cut him. If he goes to another team he'll be one of those guys for his new team. If he doesn't, he'll be resigned by the Redskins when they need him.

If players look at this move and play less hard because of it, they don't belong in the NFL.

I agree with you 100%:applause:

I am a little shocked they cut Torrence when there were other options. I would have cut Mike Green and utilize Springs at safety more. I think keeping Tryon was a good move,granted he hasn't looked good yet, but he is a rookie. Torrence most likely isn't going to get any better than he already is, but Tryon may turn out to be good down the road.

I dont like this at all... i dont know, i feel liike torrence was an extremely well respected and well liked person in the locker room. Doesn't seem like a great idea to cut a guy that works hard and the players like. Then again, torrence is a career number 4, maybe number 3 corner, so its not like we're cutting much in terms of talent, but it makes me uneasy. The players dont sound too happy about this...

I personally liked Torrence and though he was a decent nickle/dime DB who in a pinch could play some spot duty as a #2. And he played teams......

maybe they thought he wasn't progressing enough especially with Tryon (who hasn't shown me anything yet), Richardson (a guy who impressed the hell out of me in pre-season in his press coverage) and Westbrook (I'm pulling for him but I'm starting to wonder if he'll make our roster in 2009) waiting in the wings. Maybe it was some big mistakes he made that cost him (got beat on an undrethrown ball in the Stl. game, missed stopping a punt going into the end zone in the Browns game etc.)

I'm not sure if you read the boards, but I wish you the best Leigh and I think the Skins made the wrong move cutting you.

I like how we pin the last second pass to Avery on Torrence.

Had the ball NOT been underthrown, Torrence woulda covered it PHENOMENALLY.

But since the ball WAS underthrown and Avery made a GREAT play on it, Torrence SUCKS. We coulda tried the exact same situation with some of the best CB's in the league and they STILL woulda let that one get completed.

Rams game, burned in the 4th qtr, allowing them to get into field goal range and win the game. The guy can't cover ****.

A lot of players have since been burned by Donnie Avery, who is now considered a rookie of the year candidate.

Torrence was also on an island, and was NOT supposed to have to cover that long (we had two safeties coming on a blitz, Kareem Moore had a clean shot but was frozen stupidly; he's the real goat). Both Smoot and Rogers were "burned" on similar plays (Torrence was actually right there, but the catch was made because Torrence had his back to the QB) in Pittsburgh.

Now, I'm not saying Torrence's coverage skills are great, but our punt team needs to not get worse. I like Hall on returns, but I liked Torrence on punt coverage and as a nickel back. I think they should have put Kelly on IR - let's hope they know something we don't, and they aren't hanging their hopes stupidly on something.

Corners of Torrence's ability aren't so common; he was definitely our fourth best corner, but on many teams he's be their third best, and he ended up playing as our third or second sometimes due to Smoot and Springs injury issues. Not sure I agree with this, but we'll see how it plays out.

Wrong guy Vinny.

Tryon sucks big, and Kelly could have gone to IR.

Leigh has made some plays.

In a pressure situation......I would take Leigh over Tryon anytime.

See, and this is where you prove that you don't know what's going on. The decision wasn't between Torrence and Tryon, it's between Torrence and Hall. Tryon isn't going to see the field any more tomorrow than he was today. Which is to say that he isn't going to see the field.

If you cut Tryon now, you're giving up on your 4th round pick. Which maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't.

BUT THE REASON THAT HALL WAS SIGNED WAS TO REPLACE TORRENCE.

So if they kept Torrence, he goes to #4 and never plays, and you release the guy you're trying to develop. And then you have a mess in the off season.

I am really glad that fans are not allowed to make decisions.

With Torrence gone, who moves to gunner on special teams? He was a good straightline runner, sound tackler.

Torrence was a pretty good gunner IMO. I think that's gonna hurt us the most by losing him.

No, you are wrong. Sorry. Just plain, absolutely, unequivocally wrong. In every aspect of this post. Torrence was such a bad gunner that I would suggest that he is at least 60% responsible for the punt return woes that ARE is getting blamed for.

we should boycott this or something! Torrence was amazing on ST's!!

He was completely, totally, and absolutely abysmal on punt coverage. He got beat like a drum every single time, to the point where they started to have to put 2 guys on the 1 guy he was covering. He couldn't get a jab at the LOS, and then he was outrun. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I paid special attention to him. He STUNK on ST 90% of the time.

I can see this totally tearing the team apart...

I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

This is gonna hurt team chemistry terribly. Puke.

If cutting your 4th corner who shouldn't see the field of play anyway (and wouldn't if Springs was healthy) rips this team apart, then they weren't that together in the first place. Dear God.

R u kiding me. He was a horrible corner. And imo he wasn,t that good o special teams. Ilm not sure about kick coverage. But he was horrible on punt coverage, people used to blow right past him.

+1. Hit the nail on the head there.

He did help us win the Cards game with his deflection that lead to Rogers int and return to the Cards 19

Yeah, he was so completely clueless, the ball hit him in the head without him knowing it. Great play on his part. (I'll take it. But I'm not going to give him a lot of credit for it.)

We have no pass rush and yet we are currently ranked 4th in defense and there is no way in hell we would be 4th if our secondary wasn't doing something right and torrence has been a part of that

Cutting him in this situation and keeping a bum like tryon is beyond stupid

Just trying to protect vinnys sorry draft class at this point, can't see any other logical reason to keep Tryon over Torrence

Well, that IS the reason. Tryon is a 4th rounder who doesn't play, and they are developing to see if there is something there.

You can't blame him for that, the ball was so severly underthrown, no corner could have made that adjustment. Torrence was stride for stride with Avery on that whole route until the ball was underthrown and Avery got to make the comeback before Torrence.

Both guys running down the field (WR and CB) both see the ball at the same time, WR makes the catch. Dude, CBs have to defend that pass. Sorry. It's part of the job. It's hard, it's why they do it and not me, but you have to be able to adjust. The WR did. Torrence had position to be able to make the play if he got his head around, which he didn't. That play is on him.

Who let a party pooper in? SECURITY!!!!:silly:

nooooooooooooo...don't throw me out!

I'm having too much fun laughing about the intense, passionate Leigh Torrence discussions. You would've thought Fletcher was cut for Hall the way these whiners are reacting and overanalyzing.... jeez.

See, and this is where you prove that you don't know what's going on. The decision wasn't between Torrence and Tryon, it's between Torrence and Hall. Tryon isn't going to see the field any more tomorrow than he was today. Which is to say that he isn't going to see the field.

If you cut Tryon now, you're giving up on your 4th round pick. Which maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't.

BUT THE REASON THAT HALL WAS SIGNED WAS TO REPLACE TORRENCE.

So if they kept Torrence, he goes to #4 and never plays, and you release the guy you're trying to develop. And then you have a mess in the off season.

I am really glad that fans are not allowed to make decisions.

No, you are wrong. Sorry. Just plain, absolutely, unequivocally wrong. In every aspect of this post. Torrence was such a bad gunner that I would suggest that he is at least 60% responsible for the punt return woes that ARE is getting blamed for.

He was completely, totally, and absolutely abysmal on punt coverage. He got beat like a drum every single time, to the point where they started to have to put 2 guys on the 1 guy he was covering. He couldn't get a jab at the LOS, and then he was outrun. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I paid special attention to him. He STUNK on ST 90% of the time.

If cutting your 4th corner who shouldn't see the field of play anyway (and wouldn't if Springs was healthy) rips this team apart, then they weren't that together in the first place. Dear God.

+1. Hit the nail on the head there.

Yeah, he was so completely clueless, the ball hit him in the head without him knowing it. Great play on his part. (I'll take it. But I'm not going to give him a lot of credit for it.)

Well, that IS the reason. Tryon is a 4th rounder who doesn't play, and they are developing to see if there is something there.

Both guys running down the field (WR and CB) both see the ball at the same time, WR makes the catch. Dude, CBs have to defend that pass. Sorry. It's part of the job. It's hard, it's why they do it and not me, but you have to be able to adjust. The WR did. Torrence had position to be able to make the play if he got his head around, which he didn't. That play is on him.

You can't just claim this move wont affect team chemistry just because torrence was the 4th corner.I mean what do you really know about it? your a fan, not a player, you're not in the locker room with those guys, you're not on the field battling with those guys, you have absolutely no idea how this move affects the rest of the team. I should also point out that i am not a player, but a fan as well so so i really dont know either. But from what i gathered over the years, torrence was respected and well liked by just about everyone. And i know for a fact that he hung out with the other corners cause i saw them all, them being smoot, springs, rogers and torrence, all come into the FYE store that i work in. So it is of my belief that this move will affect team chemistry however lightly it might be. I doubt the rest of the team is going to go on strike, but they're probably a little pissed...

Pro Bowls twice, burned like toast this year. So yah, best days behind him. Up to him to prove otherwise.

And sorry, guess I just don't buy the "they didn't use me correctly" bs. That's gotta be the worst argument in football, really.

Jerruh agrees

You can't just claim this move wont affect team chemistry just because torrence was the 4th corner.I mean what do you really know about it? your a fan, not a player, you're not in the locker room with those guys, you're not on the field battling with those guys, you have absolutely no idea how this move affects the rest of the team. I should also point out that i am not a player, but a fan as well so so i really dont know either. But from what i gathered over the years, torrence was respected and well liked by just about everyone. And i know for a fact that he hung out with the other corners cause i saw them all, them being smoot, springs, rogers and torrence, all come into the FYE store that i work in. So it is of my belief that this move will affect team chemistry however lightly it might be. I doubt the rest of the team is going to go on strike, but they're probably a little pissed...

That's fair. But here's the deal: They can be friends, they can be colleagues, but they're also professionals. They might be pissed, but at the same time, I think that they can probably figure out why it happened also.

Look, I'm in management for a consulting firm, and I've had to face this exact problem in the past: you have somebody you really like, is popular on the team, but is just not cutting it, and you have an opportunity to bring in somebody else who might be a better performer.

It's a very very difficult decision. And it sounds like the 'Skins didn't take it lightly.

I've done both. We kept an under-performer for the sake of peace and harmony, and lived to regret it. In another situation, we let that person go, and brought in another person to fill there spot. It took a little while, but eventually, everybody got along because the new person proved that they could do the job better, which reduced the workload of others and we were more productive and a better team.

Eventually, if you are a professional, you have to look at the situation critically. You're getting rid of a guy who was not performing at the level that the coaches thought he should be performing at, so they found somebody who might help out.

I say again, if that tears the locker room apart, then that's really shame on them. They've all seen it happen before, and it will happen again.

That's fair. But here's the deal: They can be friends, they can be colleagues, but they're also professionals. They might be pissed, but at the same time, I think that they can probably figure out why it happened also.

Look, I'm in management for a consulting firm, and I've had to face this exact problem in the past: you have somebody you really like, is popular on the team, but is just not cutting it, and you have an opportunity to bring in somebody else who might be a better performer.

It's a very very difficult decision. And it sounds like the 'Skins didn't take it lightly.

I've done both. We kept an under-performer for the sake of peace and harmony, and lived to regret it. In another situation, we let that person go, and brought in another person to fill there spot. It took a little while, but eventually, everybody got along because the new person proved that they could do the job better, which reduced the workload of others and we were more productive and a better team.

Eventually, if you are a professional, you have to look at the situation critically. You're getting rid of a guy who was not performing at the level that the coaches thought he should be performing at, so they found somebody who might help out.

I say again, if that tears the locker room apart, then that's really shame on them. They've all seen it happen before, and it will happen again.

you make a fair point. I also have to accept you crediblity on the situation as i am a lowly 19 year old college student with no real experience or knowledge of the business world. Though i do understand the principle that you're arguing. In the end football is a business, and a person that's just not cutting it has to go. I guess with my relative ignorance on the matter, i view the situation, sorry for sounding cheesy, with my heart. i always liked Torrence; he's one of those guys that i felt really enjoyed being a redskin, whether or not his contributions were deciding the outcomes of games. I also feel the players hold this viewpoint as well, though assuredly they understand that this is just the nature of the game... anyway, he's gone, and Deangelo Hall is here. Time to move on.. i also find it ironic that your extremeskins name is "voice of reason", and really that's what your post was, a voice of reason.. haha, well said

Archived