Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did this teacher cross the line?

Zguy28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Berate? I must have missed that part. I missed the humiliate part the video's title mentions as well. She made some foolish statements is about as far as I'd take it.

Certainly crossed the line, but let's not get carried away here - it's not like she went Hannity or Olbermann on the classroom. Not even close.

First off, her information was wrong.

Second, her comments about how your Daddy will be at war for 100 years.

You don't think that girl is going to be a little worried/upset by that?

How does a kid that age defend herself against this? The teacher called her out, for agreeing with her parents, in front of the entire class.

definitely should be fired. she tried to get in a slapfest with the girl whos dad was in iraq. then when the girl didnt say anything she says 'oh, the candidate you are pulling for is going to keep your dad in iraq for the next 100 years'

thats a GREAT thing to be saying to a kid, whether its your student or not. yeah. i can see how that is 'being neutral' about things. if it was up to me, she would have a lot more done to her than just get fired.

and id love to know what school she worked at so the school board, the principal, and she can get some nice emails.

After thinking about it in the shower, I've decided to revise my opinion.

I'm not that ticked that she recited an Obama sound bite. I'm not upset that the sound bite, frankly, isn't honest.

But the sound bite she picked was "You're Daddy's not going to come back for 100 years". That's a grossly unfair weapon to use on a child who's Daddy is gone.

Yep, her choice of which talking point to use was way over the line.

For those of you who can't see the video, here is a link to the story:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200881106074

Asheville – A former city schools teacher filmed in a Swedish documentary talking about politics in the classroom is drawing fire from bloggers for “belittling” a student who supported Republican presidential candidate John McCain.

adlabel_horz.gif

p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif?labels=NewsAndReference,CultureAndSociety

Diantha Harris of Fayetteville teaches fifth grade in Cumberland County.

She left Asheville in 2004. Bloggers on Thursday had identified her as an Asheville teacher and said she “willingly browbeat and belittle a student in class for her choice of a presidential candidate,” according to Tundra Tabloids, a blog about Islamic extremism.

Harris, in an interview today with the Asheville Citizen-Times, said that’s not true.

A crew from Sweden’s public broadcasting company STV visited her classroom in May for the documentary “From Bill to Barack.”

The film aired Monday on Finland’s Swedish language Channel Five.

The part with Harris made its way on to YouTube and quickly became fodder for bloggers on Thursday.

Harris is seen asking her class whom they support in the presidential race.

A student says, "Obama."

Harris encourages her class to speak up.

“And if you are pulling for John McCain, that’s fine, say him as well,” she says.

Another student says Obama and then one girl says John McCain.

“Oh lord, John McCain,” Harris says in the film. “Oh Jesus.”

She then asks the student why she is pulling for John McCain.

The student says it’s because her parents are voting for him.

She asks one student why he is supporting Obama. He says he wants a black president.

Another student tells Harris she is supporting Obama because he’ll make good changes to the country.

“Now can you tell me just a little bit more, like what type of changes?,” she asks the student.

The student says “like not having a fight between Iraq and having soldiers killed.”

Harris nods her head in approval. “So in other words Barack is going to end that war in Iraq,” she says.

She then asks the class what they know about the war. She asks the girl who said she was supporting McCain to speak up because her father was in the military. The student remains quiet.

“It’s a senseless war,” Harris says in the film. “And by the way, Kathy, the person you are picking for president said that our troops will stay in Iraq for another hundred years if they need to.”

The student doesn’t respond.

“So that means your daddy is going to be in the military for another hundred years,” she tells the child.

Harris on Thursday said she wasn’t advocating for one candidate over the other and that the footage of her lesson is heavily edited.....

I watched the video and read this report.

Yes, she should be fired.

It doesn't matter what the 'context' of the talk was about. She put forth her opinion as 'fact' and then kept on (some call it berated) a 5th grade student who didn't share her opinion. Class act.

The crazy part is that she KNEW she was being taped by a Swedish Documentary team. You would think that she would be on her BEST behavior (though, sadly, maybe she was).

First off, her information was wrong.

Second, her comments about how your Daddy will be at war for 100 years.

You don't think that girl is going to be a little worried/upset by that?

How does a kid that age defend herself against this? The teacher called her out, for agreeing with her parents, in front of the entire class.

I agree with you here but I felt your description of the video was inaccurate. I already agreed that this woman crossed the line. Keeastman described correctly: "that is classic intimidation"

"I just have to make sure that I don't brow beat someone who votes for another person" like I just did to that little girl who just happened to be so bold as to tell me who she would vote for...oh Jesus!

That teacher needs to take a little of her own advice.

And the really sad part here is that I believe 100% that Barack himself would have been very understanding with that young lady (and the rest of the students in class).

Maybe she should take a little of his advice, too.

In a college course~ discussion could be held as long as there were factual research done to support a view point and a healthy debate ensue.

Totally out of line for grade school~ she needs fired.

Yes, people are entitled to their opinion~ but she intimitated a school girl plus other children in the class? The closing "program" by teachers~ poor low self esteem is being rubbed off onto children.:doh:

Let me have five minutes with her- I "think" I can go down to her level.

This video is also making the rounds with home-schoolers.

In fact, that's who sent it to me.

We are probably homeschooling next year, but not for reasons like this. Our son just isn't getting the challenge that he needs in the public school system. He's bored because the work is way too easy for him.

Bush Hill Elementary: 220 Obama, 66 McCain, 4 Barr.

My daughter said: Nobody likes your guy Daddy... :)

When I was a kid they used to have mock elections too. It seemed that if the current President could still run he always won. Bush beat Clinton(voted Bush) in elementary and Clinton beat Dole(voted Clinton) next election. I figured kids just voted for the guy they hear and see the most about on Television unless they're brainwashed by their parents to vote for the lesser known guy. :2cents:

At least Barr got some votes.:silly:

I had a teacher in high school that was clearly liberal and I thought he crossed the line when he was supposed to be teaching us political and world events in an unbiased manner but this woman is talking to Elementary school kids. These kids dont know why they support whatever candidate. They usually support whoever their parents or friends support. Ask any kid whether they want to be at war and of course they will say no because they dont have the real world experience to understand times when war is necessary. I dont think politics should be discussed in Elementary school period unless its discussing how the government works. This woman clearly was trying to force her views on people without the knowledge and background to argue back and disagree. Let her come talk politics with me and I will put her in her place. I dont care that she has a different opinion, I care that she is spewing mindless dribble to kids who cant defend themselves and dont know any better. I bet she is a Cowboys fan...

Berate? I must have missed that part. I missed the humiliate part the video's title mentions as well. She made some foolish statements is about as far as I'd take it.

Certainly crossed the line, but let's not get carried away here - it's not like she went Hannity or Olbermann on the classroom. Not even close.

It's obvious that you don't have kids.

If my son was in that woman's class, i'd be up at that school and someone would be pullin' a foot outta their ass.

Saw this yesterday.

She absolutely crossed the line. The should lose her job.

That girl must have felt pretty bad.

Did this idiot teacher video tape herself? How did there get to be a video of an elementary classroom?

a swedish crew was filming a documentary.

Archived